Quick question about Hazard Creatures that Also Can be Played as Events

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
djluches

Re: a card like Mouth of Sauron or Adunaphel. If played as events and not creatures, they don't need keyed to the icons shown on the left, correct?

And also specific to Adunaphel. If played as a permanent-event, once he becomes a short-event to tap an opponents creature, is he then discarded once ability resolves, since he's no longer a "permanent-event"?
djluches

Sorry, one more follow-up. When Adunaphel is tapping, is that referring to just an ability that causes an opponents character to tap? Or is Adunaphel actually triggering an attack that needs to occur, dice to be rolled, etc..... (sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but we're long-time Magic players trying to get up to speed on this and while I'm sure this is obvious to many here, not to us!! :D )
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

djluches wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:21 pm Re: a card like Mouth of Sauron or Adunaphel. If played as events and not creatures, they don't need keyed to the icons shown on the left, correct?
Events are not keyed. Region/site symbols are relevant for creatures.
djluches wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:21 pm And also specific to Adunaphel. If played as a permanent-event, once he becomes a short-event to tap an opponents creature, is he then discarded once ability resolves, since he's no longer a "permanent-event"?
Yes. Precisely short-events are discarded when all action they create are executed.
So Uvatha cannot search for itself.
djluches wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:24 pm Sorry, one more follow-up. When Adunaphel is tapping, is that referring to just an ability that causes an opponents character to tap? Or is Adunaphel actually triggering an attack that needs to occur, dice to be rolled, etc..... (sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but we're long-time Magic players trying to get up to speed on this and while I'm sure this is obvious to many here, not to us!! )
Adunaphel cannot opt to become a creature when it is in play as event.
Adunaphel as a short-event only causes tapping the target character. It does not create an attack.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
djluches

Great, thank you so much!
CDavis7M

You'll decide up-front when playing a card having different options: creature vs event, or first effect vs alternative effect.

Also, be sure to read up on using the Nazguls to access your sideboard. Unlike other games, you can build a sideboard that is used during the game itself (not between games). For example, instead of using the on-tap effect printed on the Nazgul, you can tap and discard a Nazgul permanent to take 1 hazard card from your sideboard and place it into your play deck (or 5 hazards can go to your discard pile). This uses another 1 against the hazard limit (in addition to the 1 hazard used to play the Nazgul permanent event) but places the perfect hazard against your opponent into your deck. There are many ways to access the sideboard. Here is more information: http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/1 ... board.html

Some good hazards for the sideboard are the Ahunt Dragons for Withered Heath and nearby regions; Call of Home and Muster Disperses if your opponent is low on General Influence; River, Long Winter, and Foul Fumes if your opponent is short on Rangers; Lost at Sea against [-me_cs-] and Lost in the Free Domains against [-me_fd-]; Rolled Down to the Sea, etc. against The One Ring; Searching Eye against Scouts and cancelers; Fear, Fire, Foes! Siege against [-me_fh-] [-me_bh-] faction gathering decks; Alone and Unadvised for small companies; and other corruption cards to play later in the game when corruption may become a problem.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”