DC card Bow of Calin Wip

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Beezertheturnip

My apologies if this is supposed to be asked in the DC card section of the forum, and I can move the question there if need be.

For those not familiar with the card, here it is .https://cardnum.net/img/cards/MECA/meca ... linwip.jpg
My question is concerned with its usage. It says to make two rolls against a strike not keyed to a site, but then says that if "Both" strikes fail. The first sentence taken in isolation makes it seem it works the way Lucky Strike does, against a single strike, roll twice and pick your roll. But then the subsequent sentence makes it seem like the warrior bearing the bow is actually facing two strikes.

Which is the correct way to use the item?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Seems like the candidate to errata.
I would propose:
"If both result indicate that a strike fails, then the strike has -2 to body check".

EDIT:
"If both result indicate that a strike fails, then the strike has -3 to body check".
to
"If both result indicate that a strike fails, then the strike has -2 to body check".

I am sorry for the typo.
Last edited by Konrad Klar on Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

It not errata it is called development

the item works even if the text could be more elegant

DC team
Theo

Vastor Peredhil wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:27 pm the item works
Sure, for someone making up their own rules.

How telling for that to be the "DC team" response to "Which is the correct way to use the item?"
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Well the DC team is not 2 people but many more not always frequenting this forum, so take DC question on cards from the 17th DC set to the DC question, as Chris would tell you DCs are only streamlined, for released and tested sets.
There will always be cards created and we as Gatekeepers allow them in, unless something is totally off on them

so yes Konrad is right, but of course also wrong, its never errata until it gets printed

@Theo stop crying,

@Beezer

yes bearer makes 2 rolls against 1 strike, if both results would be "failed strike" the strikes body gets -2

yours Nicolai
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Vastor Peredhil wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:10 am so yes Konrad is right, but of course also wrong, its never errata until it gets printed
So I am replacing the word "errata" with the word "correction".

in:

"Seems like the candidate to errata."

:)
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I'd say, if it's a rules issue, you can post it here, always good to get a perspective from experts like Konrad.
But most are a matter of phrasing, like this one, so post it in the DC section. And if it's really a rules issue we can always refer to it here.

yes there are different stages of DC development. First stage is often a more rough sketching of ideas. And even ICE made many mistakes in their official cards. Only Theo gets it right from the start of course.

As most will know, in DC we like to flex and stretch to see what more is possible to create an awesome game. There will be hiccups, some patience and open mind is required.

case in point: the idea of Bow of Calin Wip is that if both results beat the strike, it receives -2 body. That is not the same as -2 to the body check.
The card was suggested by a DC contributor and we did not alter the text yet. There is indeed ambiguity in this first version, but most people will get how it works (is what Vastor was trying to say).
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Theo

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:02 am yes there are different stages of DC development. First stage is often a more rough sketching of ideas. And even ICE made many mistakes in their official cards. Only Theo gets it right from the start of course.
I was not trying to be critical of the mistake, only of the way Vastor responded to a question about it. "Most people get it" does not help the person who doesn't get it, regardless of whether most people would actually get it.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Well that is valid, but the words "How telling for that to be the "DC team" response..." hint at something else, a pattern or attitude perhaps, which you do not substantiate. Anyway, enough about that.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
dirhaval

I made the card;
which usually means the text should/can be better written.

If something of mine works well the first time, then something is wrong.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”