Characters with negative marshalling points when eliminated

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if the negative marshalling points from eliminated charcters (such as Bilbo, Elrond, etc.) are applied to the character-specific source of MPs or to the total. Could anyone help with a quote, please?

Thanks!
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The MPs are character-specific.
The MPs are MPs that particular card gives, by its text.
They are not like negative MPs given by rule (if Wizard/Ringwraith is eliminated).

I think that for the same reason:
CRF wrote:Fallen-wizards may recieve one extra MP for factions played on a leader.

EDIT: fixed copy/paste error.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

I like to see if these kinds of questions can be understood from the rules or if some ruling changed or added to the rules.

The rules on Marshalling Points state that eliminated Characters can give negative MP. They also state that there at 6 "types" of marshalling points and a marshalling point "total." Certain characters state something like "-2 marshalling points if eliminated." From the rules, this card effect must be referring to either a particular "type" of MP or to the MP "total." Since the card doesn't state the word "total" and is instead a character card with the character MP symbol, the card effect must be referring to character type MP.

It's also helpful that the rules mention the possibility of a player having negative number for a certain type of marshalling point. At least in The Wizards, I cant think of any other way to achieve negative marshalling points for a certain type of MP other than by eliminated characters. So again, eliminated characters must be affecting character type MP, not the MP total.

--------------------

Or, if you want to be fancy, just read the CRF under End of Game.
To calculate marshalling points at the Free Council, follow these steps:
  1. Total up the marshalling points for each category. The modifications from My Precious, factions played on a leader, and eliminated characters apply now.
  2. If your opponent has no points in a category double your points in that category. Doubling does not apply to the Miscellaneous or Kill categories.
  3. If one of your categories accounts for more than half of your positive marshalling point total, reduce it so that it has the same number of points as the rest of your positive categories combined.
  4. Subtract any points that are subtracted from your total, including points from unique resources your opponent has duplicated in his hand.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Thank you!

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”