Leucaruth at Home On-Guard

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The Dragons: Leucaruth at Home
Rarity: Rare, Precise: R3

Hazard: Permanent-event

Unique. Unless Leucaruth Ahunt is in play, Irerock has an additional automatic-attack: Dragon-2 strikes at 17/8. In addition, only one unique Dragon manifestation may be played per turn. "...the dreadful echoes, from far down in the depths, of a bellowing and a trampling that made the ground beneath them tremble."-Hob
CRF wrote:You may reveal a card in response to an influence attempt against a faction even if the
on-guard card only has an effect if the attempt is successful. You may also reveal a
card in response to such an attempt that affects the actual influence attempt.
I think that revealing on-guard Leucaruth at Home, if it would be legal, would fizzle playing a Dragon faction.
Influence attempt against opponent's Dragon faction still would be possible, but faction could not be played if attempt would be successful and a copy revealed.

Is it legal?
Does it count as the card "that affects the actual influence attempt"?
Apparently it counts as "on-guard card [that] only has an effect if the attempt is successful" if influencing opponent's faction and revealing its copy.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:13 pm I think that revealing on-guard Leucaruth at Home, if it would be legal, would fizzle playing a Dragon faction.
I should say rather "would invalidate declaration of playing a Dragon faction".
Mordakai
Council Member

Interesting thought, indeed... I assume you are presenting this situation as an on-guard card in other place different to Irerock, as in Irerock you would reveal it before the influence attempt (as ir creates and additional AAin that site), is that correct?
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

In any place where such influence attempt is declared.
Whether Dragon at Home may/may not be revealed on-guard when a company is entering a site, and whether creating new AA affects/does not affect AA are separate questions.
Even if Leucaruth at Home could be revealed on-guard when company enters a site it does not must be revealed at this point. The same for Scatha at Home (that gives -1 to all influence attempts).
Mordakai
Council Member

Yeah, I was only assuming that, if at Irerock, it would be prefearable to declare it before, so you have to face the AA and then (probably) get butchered, AND after that, no way of influencing the thing.
I know the revealing-on-guard-at-home-dragon is a kind of not clear thing (and another different topic). It does not makes sense for me not being able to declare it, but we all know wording in this game is kinda weird...
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Mordakai wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:45 pm AND after that, no way of influencing the thing.
But driving the opponent to wasteful playing Leucaruth Roused may be preferable.
Mordakai wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:45 pm It does not makes sense for me not being able to declare it, but we all know wording in this game is kinda weird...
Then change the rule (make errata). Do not change a reading of texts.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:19 am
Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:13 pm I think that revealing on-guard Leucaruth at Home, if it would be legal, would fizzle playing a Dragon faction.
This is also not a term of MECCG. The rules talk about conditions being "negated".
CDavis7M

Leucaruth at Home cannot be reveal on guard and even if it could, the dragon faction would returned to hand, it would not be discarded by negation.

----------

There is talk about whether an on-guard card can be revealed but one point that seems to be missing is how on-guard cards work when revealed.

The on-guard card is treated as if it has been played during the movement/hazard phase. If Leucaruth At Home had been played during the M/H phase, then it's effect would already be in play. In which case the Unique dragon faction could not have been played. It is not a case where the conditions for playing the dragon faction have been negated earlier in the same chain of effects. Instead, the conditions for playing the dragon faction have changed beforehand and it is no longer playable. If a player tries to play a card that is not playable, it is returned to their hand -- it was not allowed by the game and never happened within the game. If the on-guard card retroactively takes effect, then the attampt to play the Dragon faction is treated retroactively as well and the faction is returned it to hand not discarded.

An on-guard card can't both be treated as though it has previously resolved before this chain of effects (as if it were played in the M/H phase, or "retroactively takes effect as though it were both declared and resolved immediately prior to the chain of effects during which it was revealed.") but also be treated as if it negated conditions in the same chain of effects.

----------

Let's go back to the baseline on-guard rules though: "In the on-guard card is a non-creature hazard, it may be revealed if it is a hazard that affects the company or a character in the company that site phase." This Challenge Deck rule is an update to the METW-Unlimited and MELE rule which states " it may be revealed if it is a hazard that directly affects the company or a character in the company (e.g., a hazard that forces all characters to make a corruption check)."

Because the Unlimited rule requires the hazard to directly affect the company/character, it did not apply to influence attempts. But way back in the day it was ruled that Lure of Power should work and so this clarification to the on-guard rules was implemented. This is why the clarification states "even if it only has an effect if the attempt is successful"

The "only play one unique dragon" effect of Leucaruth at Home does not affect the company or a character in the company. It also does not "affect the actual influence attempt." An influence attempt is a dice roll. A requirement to play only one dragon per turn says nothing about dice rolls.

Leucaruth at Home cannot be reveal on guard and even if it could, the dragon faction would returned to hand, it would not be discarded by negation.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:02 pm Then change the rule (make errata). Do not change a reading of texts.
Or read properly without creating unnecessary errata?
Though I recognize a favorite pastime when I see one.
CDavis7M

Just adding the rules. Always nice to have rules.
On-guard influence rules.png
On-guard influence rules.png (542.81 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:45 pm
Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:19 am
This is also not a term of MECCG. The rules talk about conditions being "negated".
Tower Raided is declared and Weariness of the Heart on (only in company) untapped scout bearing 2MP item is revealed on-guard.
Scout is discarded in result cc along with the item.
CRF, Guess where wrote:A revealed on-guard card retroactively takes effect as though it were both declared
and resolved immediately prior to the chain of effects during which it was revealed.
So what then? Is the declaration of Tower Raided still valid?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:04 pm Leucaruth at Home cannot be reveal on guard and even if it could, the dragon faction would returned to hand, it would not be discarded by negation.
" if it could, the dragon faction would returned to hand, it would not be discarded by negation" is what I suspect.
CDavis7M wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:04 pm But way back in the day it was ruled that Lure of Power should work and so this clarification to the on-guard rules was implemented. This is why the clarification states "even if it only has an effect if the attempt is successful"
But the Rule does not say about Lure.
If attempt against opponent's Dragon faction is successful and duplicate was revealed, Leucaruth at Home (on-guard or not) has such effect that the duplicate cannot be played. Unless Leucaruth at Home was not revealed on-guard and the faction is first unique Dragon manifestation played in given turn.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:16 pm Tower Raided is declared and Weariness of the Heart on (only in company) untapped scout bearing 2MP item is revealed on-guard.
Scout is discarded in result cc along with the item.
The relevant rules are:
1. If an on-guard card is revealed, treat it as if it had been played during the movement/hazard phase.
2. An action in a chain of effects is negated if the conditions required to perform it are negated by another action that is resolved before it in the chain of effects.

The effect of the on-guard card is either in the same chain of effects and therefore cannot negate active conditions, or it is treated as though it resolved before this chain of effects and so it cannot negate conditions and instead the conditions were never there in the first place. The rules explicitly say the on guard card already happened. I don't see how it could be both.

If the play of Weariness of the Heart is treated as if it had resolved in the movement/hazard phase then the discarding (eliminating) of the character and discarding of the item has already resolved and Tower Raided could not have been declared at all. If Weariness of the Heart is treated as if it resolved in a different chain of effects, then it is not possible to negate another effect because effects are negated when their conditions are removed by something that resolved earlier in that same chain.
Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:16 pm
CRF, Guess where wrote:A revealed on-guard card retroactively takes effect as though it were both declared and resolved immediately prior to the chain of effects during which it was revealed.
So what then? Is the declaration of Tower Raided still valid?
The on-guard mechanic allows the hazard player to play a hazard but wait to spring it as a trap during the site phase. This is why the on-guard hazards are treated as if they have already resolved in the movement/hazard phase. The declaration of Tower Raided has not become invalid. It was never valid. The hazard player knew this but the resource player did not. The hazard player lets the resource player know by revealing their on-guard card.

But is convoluted and so most of the ways to do this were removed except for Weariness and corruption since it was the example in the rulesbook. I remember reading some older ICE rulings from before all of these clarifications, like with New Moon, etc. And I think there a preliminary ruling about discarding the item (though this seems to miss the point that the item either could not have been declared at all or the character cannot be tapped since they are already tapped) and then the rules were clarified to say that most of these cards (except corruption) were banned on guard.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:30 pm But is convoluted and so most of the ways to do this were removed except for Weariness and corruption since it was the example in the rulesbook.
It is convoluted in such way that on-guard card is revealed in response to X but is declared and resolved prior to X.
CRF wrote:A revealed on-guard card retroactively takes effect as though it were both declared
and resolved immediately prior to the chain of effects during which it was revealed.
CDavis7M wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:30 pm 1. If an on-guard card is revealed, treat it as if it had been played during the movement/hazard phase.
CDavis7M wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:04 pm
Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:02 pm Then change the rule (make errata). Do not change a reading of texts.
Or read properly without creating unnecessary errata?
Though I recognize a favorite pastime when I see one.
You have developed method of reading properly.
If a character has been discarded/eliminated in result of on-guard and the on-guard would be treated "as if it had been played during the movement/hazard phase" then the character could not be in company that entered a site in site phase.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:10 am If a character has been discarded/eliminated in result of on-guard
Strictly "if a character has been discarded/eliminated in result of on-guard that targets him".
Indeed, character may be eliminated in site phase in result of cc from Greed that has been played in M/H phase.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”