Diplomats using the friendship cards

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Lake Town Geezer

Another unclear point for me. The New and Old Friendship cards say, for example:

"Diplomat only. +x to a corruption check for a character in the diplomat's company."

Does this mean that if a diplomat wants to adjust his corruption check with this card, he needs another diplomat in his company; or can he play it on himself?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

He can play it on corruption check he is facing (that is not the same as "on himself"). Diplomat in some company is a character in the company.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Lake Town Geezer

Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:43 am He can play it on corruption check he is facing (that is not the same as "on himself"). Diplomat in some company is a character in the company.
Thanks. I guess this means yes - you only need one diplomat in the company. I am thinking here about Gandalf (who is a diplomat) playing Narya in a company with no other diplomat. If he plays 'old friendship' after playing Narya but before the corruption roll - it should help then with the corruption check.
CDavis7M

Right.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Diplomat in question is not enacting "+x to a corruption check for a character in the diplomat's company". There is nothing in declaration (he does not tap to, does not discard an item he bears) nor in main effect (some action like e.g. cc, tapping, discarding) that would specify him as enacting character.

It is enough if both at declaration and at resolution a company will contain any Diplomat; non-Orc, non-Troll for FW player (declared cc is required too, of course).
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:42 am Diplomat in question is not enacting "+x to a corruption check for a character in the diplomat's company". There is nothing in declaration (he does not tap to, does not discard an item he bears) nor in main effect (some action like e.g. cc, tapping, discarding) that would specify him as enacting character.

It is enough if both at declaration and at resolution a company will contain any Diplomat; non-Orc, non-Troll for FW player (declared cc is required too, of course).
"Diplomat only" means that the card is playable on a diplomat only. New/Old Friendship both target a character that is a Diplomat. When you play one of these cards, you physically place it on the character to satisfy the condition.

So it is not "enough if both at declaration and at resolution a company will contain any Diplomat."
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I do not think so.
And I think that Stinker may tap to Concealment. Gollum may tap to A Nice Place to Hide.
Both Stinker and Gollum may tap to Stealth but Sneakin' may not be played on Gollum.
CDavis7M

If the card was only looking for a Diplomat to be in play, it would say "in play."
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

New/Old Friendship are looking for Diplomat in company of character facing a cc.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”