Rolled down to the sea vs. Rumours of rings

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Lake Town Geezer

OK,

'Rolled own to the sea': says "Opponent must discard a ring from his hand ... if available."

'Rumours of rings': says "You may play a ring special item with this card as though it were in your hand."

So my take in this is that if my opponent plays rolled down to the sea and I have a special ring off to the side with RoRs, I can play it as the discarded ring? If this is the case it makes RoRs very useful as an anti-'rolled down to the sea' weapon and makes dwarven ring decks therefore much more viable.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Lake Town Geezer wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:10 am I can play it as the discarded ring?
No.
Rings placed with Rumours of Rings may be played as though they were in your hand. They are not considered to be in hand for any purposes.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Also, the rings placed with Rumours and Whispers are "off to the side", so could not be affected by Rolled Down to Sea or anything besides the card it is placed "off to the side" with.
Lake Town Geezer

I really want to like magic rings and I have been thinking a lot about how to really make the most of them, but the more I think about it - even with Gandalf's tapping and testing ability - they just seem too vulnerable to 'rolled down to the sea', given it takes two cards minimum in the
deck to produce one magic ring. With cards like 'unexpected outpost' and 'mouth of Sauron', a hazard player can keep recycling this card to basically clear out all the rings accumulated and waste so much game time. Ok, I can keep one spare ring in my hand to help, but even this is not going to work against a determined player. Of course you can design a game with 'rumours of rings' to just test rings right at the end of the game before council - but where is the fun in that? If I instead, say, design my deck around getting Aiglos and/or Narsil early (which is relatively easy to do I think), I can have these for half the game and enjoy the experience much more. Some would worry about corruption, but this is a lot easier to manage than just the threat of one 'rolled down to the sea' card. Of course Gandalf has other advantages... 8)
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

If some strategy focuses on/is prepared to hinder opponent's ring's strategy, the strategy is less focused on/is less prepared to anything else. Lady of the Golden Wood may be good choice for Hero/Fallen Wizard player against Minion player but may have minimal or no use otherwise.
Cure for global warming is... nuclear winter. If your oponent's strategy relies on Rolled down to the Sea then including Will Shaken in deck may be a good choice.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Lake Town Geezer

Konrad Klar wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:02 am If some strategy focuses on/is prepared to hinder opponent's ring's strategy, the strategy is less focused on/is less prepared to anything else. Lady of the Golden Wood may be good choice for Hero/Fallen Wizard player against Minion player but may have minimal or no use otherwise.
Cure for global warming is... nuclear winter. If your oponent's strategy relies on Rolled down to the Sea then including Will Shaken in deck may be a good choice.
Very clever idea indeed!!!! I like this ALOT. I was thinking - maybe develop a fake ring test strategy. You could play Gandalf, add rumours of rings, load it up with dwarven rings to make the opponent think you are playing them, but not play them. Then - thanks to your suggestion - instead carry 3 'Will Shakens' and go fishing for a rolled down to the sea. Very nice.
CDavis7M

There's also leaf brooch
Lake Town Geezer

CDavis7M wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:46 am There's also leaf brooch
Good point. Starting to think now a fake ring deck could be nice.

I guess you could disgard leaf brooch instead of a gold ring before it is tested. Still no good for a dwarven ring though as it is a special item.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”