Sack Over the Head and character MPs

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I think that the statement A card "off to the side" is in play for the purposes of uniqueness may create impression that the card is not in play for other purposes. Similarly Such [FW company without Orcs and/or Trolls] a company is covert for the purposes of playing minion resources may create impression that a such company is not covert for other purposes.

It is not explicable for me why Taking Prisoners rules say that imprisoning character must discard any items, allies, or events he controls except rings if discarding controlled cards would be general rule for card placed "off to the side".
Just to make exception for the ring items?

No one sits in a mind of other. If someone prefers a giving of enigmatic answers in "Do it yourself" style, then I respect that he is preferring a such contact. Without much of doctoring about what he has in mind and why.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Kjeld

This is from p. 4 of the Balrog rules, as posted on Cardnum.
Placement of Cards Clarification
“Off to the side”
Certain cards and effects require other cards be placed “off to the side” (e.g., Sack Over the Head). Cards
placed off to the side are placed on the playing surface, usually off to the side of the normal area of play.
Such cards are kept with their host permanent-event that caused this effect. Any card placed off to the side
absolutely cannot be targeted or otherwise affected by the game except by cards that specifically affect
cards placed “off to the side.”
Cards placed off to the side are in play for the purposes of uniqueness. Unless stated otherwise, when a
host permanent-event is removed from the playing surface, any cards placed off to the side under it are
discarded.
Usually the host card will state some mechanic that affects the cards placed off to the side with
it. Unless stated otherwise on its host card, a card placed off to the side will give its marshalling points to
its owner. As a major exception, “taking prisoners” cards (primarily from Middle-earth: Dark Minions)
yield negative marshalling points for characters taken prisoner.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Thanks Kjeld.
CDavis7M knew what he was (not) speaking. :roll:
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Annatar wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:08 am ...in play for the purposes of uniqueness...will give its marshalling points to its owner... can be targeted by cards that specifically affect these cards.
I assume you are talking about cards that have left active play.
Last edited by CDavis7M on Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:55 pm It is not explicable for me why Taking Prisoners rules say that imprisoning character must discard any items, allies, or events he controls except rings if discarding controlled cards would be general rule for card placed "off to the side".
Just to make exception for the ring items?
Often it's the chronology that matters. There are many questions like this that are answered by checking the chronology. And many misunderstandings come from the last of chronology being specified. There's a long list of these. MEDM was published before either of these clarifications. The bigger shift in this concept came with MELE as was already mentioned:
CDavis7M wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:08 pm Well, under the original rules he had left play, but under the revised rules there is a distinction, though with that out-of-play becomes a bit of a misnomer. This came in MELE and I think it's because METW was not so strict as it was really only characters and creatures being eliminated, and everything focused on "elimination" rather than whether something was removed from play. And all the talk about "removing" in METW was also confusing so that was removed ( [-me_cp-] ) for MELE, but not all of the language in the rules was made consistent (mostly things in Section 2 about the decks).
-----
Konrad Klar wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:53 pm CDavis7M knew what he was (not) speaking. :roll:
I thought we were all on that same page. It's right below "off to the side"
CDavis7M wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:54 pm
Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:18 pm Which rules are involved?
The rules on “off to the side” and discarding.
Balrog4.png
Balrog4.png (143.95 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Annatar

This discussion seems absurd, seriously. :(
CDavis7M

Annatar wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:18 pm This discussion seems absurd, seriously. :(
which part?

I thought the rules were clear enough.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”