New system for answering rules questions

Rulings Announcements. Home of the new digest system created to resolve rules issues.
Manuel
Council Chairman

The Rules Oversight Committee (ROC) has developed a new system in order to offer official answers to the many not-yet-answered rules and card interaction questions that arise during our games so that they can be used during CoE-sanctioned events.

First, we have opened a new email address where you can send your rules questions. However, before sending your question, please first:

1) Read the current rules carefully.
2) Check the CRF, a document containing rulings, clarifications, and errata.
3) Check the Rules Digests to see if your question has already been answered.
4) Check the different channels where players answer rules questions (Council of Elrond forum, Discord Group, Facebook Group, BGG site, etc) Many questions are already answered there.
5) Make sure your question is based on actual situations that could happen in a game; finding impossibly weird card interactions might be fun, but the ROC has to prioritize actual problems that might arise during tournament games.

If you still can't find the answer to your question, or you think you need an official answer, you can send it to the ROC via this address:

meccgroc[at]gmail.com

When we receive your question, the ROC members will add it to their to-do list and do their best to find a proper answer. Whenever we have a batch of questions and answers ready to be published, we will publish them in the form of a new Digest, but as a draft first. We'll publish this draft in the Council of Elrond forum, under the Official Rulings Subforum, and leave the topic open so players from outside the ROC can contribute with their opinions. However, there are certain rules:

1) The thread will be open for 2 weeks.
2) There will be a maximum of one reply per forum user, and that reply cannot be edited. We want to actively avoid starting "flame wars", so please speak your peace, let others speak their peace, and that's it.
3) After the 2-week review period, the ROC will carefully consider everyone's contributions, revise the draft as appropriate, and then the Digest will be published and official

On the other hand, the ROC has decided not to continue with the Issued Errata and Annual Votation process that took place in 2012 and 2018. Those decisions are already implemented in CRF#17, but some of them will be revised in CRF#18 if we find they're not accurate enough.

Also, the previous "Rules and Errata" section has been archived, but most of the helpful topics that were there are now in the "Rules Questions and Debate" section.
www.meccg.com
CDavis7M

Why did the CoE decide to remove and archive hundreds of posts on rules with hundreds of thousands of views and answers to many questions, but give this one post with no answers in it instead?

I wonder why the community wasn't asked when the CoE decided to dismiss hundreds of hours of effort by others.
Manuel
Council Chairman

CDavis7M wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:21 am Why did the CoE decide to remove and archive hundreds of posts on rules with hundreds of thousands of views and answers to many questions, but give this one post with no answers in it instead?

I wonder why the community wasn't asked when the CoE decided to dismiss hundreds of hours of effort by others.
Because this forum is being reorganized. The previous "Rules & Errata" section of the forum wasn't a place to ask rules questions, despite many people used it like that, but a section of the forum that reflected the previous errata system adopted by the CoE, where players could suggest and debate errata to the cards and rulings. But we are no longer using that system.

However, we are aware that many of those posts you mention are very useful, so they have been moved to the Rules & Debate section. If you miss anything that should be there please let us know. I've edited the main post so people know it's there.
www.meccg.com
CDavis7M

That's a better solution. Thank you.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I think that at least this post viewtopic.php?f=103&t=3541 should be placed in more visible place.
I do not know other collation of recent changes (made in result of 2018) in rules and texts of cards.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Manuel
Council Chairman

Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:59 am I think that at least this post viewtopic.php?f=103&t=3541 should be placed in more visible place.
I do not know other collation of recent changes (made in result of 2018) in rules and texts of cards.

Thanks Konrad.

Those 2018 changes are already incorporated in the last version of the CRF.
www.meccg.com
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I knew about that while writing my previous post.
Anyway if you think that some master index of the changes is not important, then OK.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Official Rulings”