Idea for a new tournament format

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
domse
Ex Council Member

Few days ago, an idea for a new tournament format popped into my mind and i would like to hear what you think about it.
ICE printed a mechanism on the cards for us which (as far as I know) never got used. Yes, I am talking of the small # numbers on the right side of each card.
Wouldnt it be a real challenge for a good deckbuilder to do build a diceless deck - drawing a random card from your draw deck instead of rolling dice? That would mean to find the perfect balance between strong cards and high numbers on the cards. It would be of course a totally different game, but hey its a very wide field of optimization!
Maybe its an idea for LURE X!
What do you think? Has this ever been tried before?
Nerdmeetsyou

I definitly LIKE IT!

I always played with that idear in my mind...!

So it would be a greath new way to play the game...

But we acctualy would have to find out, what the excact problems might be when you only would inclued cards with numbers of 7 or higher.
Would that lead to a bad deck?, or would it just be broken!!!`???

So the actual question is not... is it a good idear... because it would be greath (I belive) if middle-earth would have been that way in the first place...

but is it balanced enough to make interesting decks???
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The main problem is that, according to the rules, you must discard whatever card you use for the random number. Good deckbuilding goes out the window when you must discard a random card from your deck every time your opponent forces a roll.

Lure of Nature alone gives me the willies. :)
Nerdmeetsyou

I think it must be done differently.... like in the star wars TCG. where at end of turn all the "Desteny" draws... in this case the "Dice Roll" draws... are put on the bottem of the deck....

this even gives the game an interesting NEW Taktik aspect....
it's called stacking the deck...
by remembering how many cards you have to draw for a specific desteny number... you can probably save them for a specificly difficult task... or play Lucky Search in the Right moment!!!
because you know what is on top...
because your deck gets constantly recycelt...

this is very difficult... because it should not be alled to take notes...
and there it gives the game an additonal taktik depth
Qapla

Sounds interesting.

If you discard the cards, it will be possible to go through the deck very fast.
HeglumeH QaQ jajvam
Nerdmeetsyou

But you totaly loose the focus of your deck, because when you loose an important card for your deck, you are fucked...
so you can only try to play a very general deck that does not depend on ANY card!
which is quiet sad...

or you would have to introduce a mechanic that allows you to shuffel part of the cards back in....
like one card each turn... or something like that.

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”