Leadership

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
sly southerner

In my view leadership is about bringing people together as a team to get the best result for everybody. A good leader leaves ego out of it and works for team harmony, not to create division. When a leadership position is elected this is even more important. Disunity leads to disaffection and this affects how people vote.

I, for one, will be voting with my feet. I have had minimal time to play MECCG recently but until now I have enjoyed browsing and occasionally contributing to the forums. To have two "leaders" in the MECCG community behaving like children has convinced me to spend my time on other pursuits.

I hope you can resolve this amicably.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

It is very difficult for me to resolve anything with someone who has blocked my email address....

So again, I apologize to the community. Tell me what else I can do. I am trying.
http://www.alfanos.org
alfon82

Since you ask, I guess there are a number of ways in which you two could get in touch, right? Gccg has a chat. Or email, or personal message. Msn. "Go and tell him"...Everyone is hoping that you two make peace.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

I am pleased to announce that meccg.net and the CoE have reached an agreement. I have agreed to return to that site, provided that the management of meccg.net:

(1) no longer read or track the private messages of users;
(2) end their "act first / talk later" policy regarding warnings and bans.

I have faith that both of these terms will be met, and that the rift in the community will soon heal.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

well, thats good news. but anyway:
provided that the management of meccg.net:

(1) no longer read or track the private messages of users;
(2) end their "act first / talk later" policy regarding warnings and bans.
isn´t that something that goes without saying?? was there need to make this as a condition for anything?
what about democratic structures within the meccg.mod-team? some transparency (how one becomes a member of the mod-team, how things are decided)?
also very important: what´s the competency of the COE/COE-forum, whats the competancy of meccg.net?

the whole conflict also offers a chance i think. let´s sort things out now, so that peace can be kept for a long time!!
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

I don't understand the question about competency.... What exactly do you have in mind?

In my view, the question is (well... was) one of corruption, not competency.

Here at the CoE forums we have 4 administrators. At meccg.net there are 2, though one is currently taking a leave of absence of indeterminate length. They have a moderator team at meccg.net, and I think several members are going to be added to that soon. We have no such team here because we have not seen any need for one. If a user has a project that he is running, he is granted moderator access to his own private Development forum, as well as his public Showcase forum. This makes obvious sense, since he is the one who will want to make announcements, sticky posts, etc. In both the NetRep and the CoE Discussion forums, all voting members are also moderators, simply because we use the lock/unlock function to indicate when a thread is "done". Since everyone is a moderator there, no one is overpowered by the mods.

So long as the corruption at meccg.net ends (and that was my condition for returning to the site), there should be no future problems.... I have faith that Mikko (the General Manager at meccg.net) will be faithful to his committments.
miguel
Ex NetRep

thorondor wrote:what about democratic structures within the meccg.mod-team? some transparency (how one becomes a member of the mod-team, how things are decided)
We are actually working on making some things like that public soon... If you still have questions after that, all you have to do is ask. But I prefer to answer questions about MeCCG.net on MeCCG.net. :)
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

maybe my understanding of "competency" is not correct.
i was thinking of defining areas of responsibilities. which site features certain MECCG projects. that should be clear and reached in agreement of both parties. it doesn´t make sense for example, to have an UEP discussion board on both forums.
after all, the question, which site provides the official rules, was one of the triggers of the recent dispute.
i am not proposing to seperate things here, but to work together.

@mikko: good point ;-)
Jambo

Corruption's a rather strong word btw! ;)

In all honesty the problem was between the Founder and others, Mark being just one of them. The meccg.net mod team are trying to address this problem by putting into place processes and (hopefully) better policies to prevent such an event from reoccuring should the Founder return.

There are no guarantees in life I'm afraid, so much of this is being done with the hope that it'll work in the long-run. To this effect we're hoping to add more members to support the current bare-bones mod team to try to ensure that the best decisions are taken. We're all volunteers here, but it's worth remembering that the mods at meccg.net aren't doing the job because they have projects or interests vested there. They're doing it because it helps others enjoy the site.

Regards

Jambo
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Wolfgang, I think, then, that your question is already implicitly answered by a look at the content of the two websites. In rough outline, meccg.net has lots of general, entirely-open-to-the-public stuff like the trading forum, the decks forum, the tricks & tips forum. On the other side, there's this site, which is mostly private or semi-private projects like the actual CoE discussion itself, the newsletter, the Virtual Cards, the Intermediate Challenge Deck project, the Judge Certification Program. If duplication arises, it should be kept to a minimum. As far as I can see, the only duplication right now is in the Rules Questions and Events forums. That's not a very big deal imo, but we can talk about eliminating even this redundancy if people think it's for the better.
sly southerner

thorondor wrote:maybe my understanding of "competency" is not correct.
i was thinking of defining areas of responsibilities. which site features certain MECCG projects. that should be clear and reached in agreement of both parties. it doesn´t make sense for example, to have an UEP discussion board on both forums.
after all, the question, which site provides the official rules, was one of the triggers of the recent dispute.
i am not proposing to seperate things here, but to work together.

@mikko: good point ;-)
I agree completetly with this. Seems sensible to define content for each site. (BTW the word "competency" can be used in this way in certain situations but not normally in general conversation).

I'm glad to hear things are moving forward. I have my doubts though when I the chairman of the COE starts using inflammatory terms such as in this thread. Hardly concilliatory and likely to perpetuate the problem I think.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Sly:

Feel free to substitute any term you prefer as a description for the reading of users' PMs. I thought it was apt. But as I said, that is no longer the practice at meccg.net, and we all hope and expect that it never will be again.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

My problem is exactly with attatching (semi)private projects, as you say, to the CoE. I see no reason why these (e.g. Virtuals) should be here, and neither a reason why it can't be at meccg.net. I wrote some lines about it several days ago which I didn't get around to post yet because my access to the net at home was gone, but I'll post it later. General idea: CoE decides if private stuff is on the board here, it can (not saying it does) amount to favouritism, and/or at least give that impression. Neither should CoE be about persueing private projects, cool as they might be.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
miguel
Ex NetRep

The MeCCG.net Mod team is happy to announce that Mark Alfano has agreed to abide by the MeCCG.net forum policy and as a consequence the ban against him is now lifted.

In the course of reviewing past situations the Mod team has decided to alter and clarify its policies. The revised moderating guidelines are now for everyone to see here along with the current forum rules which we also hope to update soon. Any feedback on them is highly appreciated. Note that we have also updated our privacy policy found here. In addition to these changes, the Mod team is evolving with the addition of three new moderators: David Barton, Benjamin Sorensen and Tomi Kareinen.

Furthermore MeCCG.net and the Council of Elrond have agreed to work on reducing overlap between their respective boards. Together we hope to offer the best possible services to the community.

Mikko Vihtemäki
MeCCG.net General Manager
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:My problem is exactly with attatching (semi)private projects, as you say, to the CoE. I see no reason why these (e.g. Virtuals) should be here, and neither a reason why it can't be at meccg.net. I wrote some lines about it several days ago which I didn't get around to post yet because my access to the net at home was gone, but I'll post it later. General idea: CoE decides if private stuff is on the board here, it can (not saying it does) amount to favouritism, and/or at least give that impression. Neither should CoE be about persueing private projects, cool as they might be.
The reason they are here is that they were initiated by CoE members. The reason they will remain here is that they are endorsed by the CoE, and are already comfortable here. The reason they will not move to meccg.net is that they already have a home here.... This does not make sense to you? Well, as I said before, you can get some like-minded people elected to the CoE and change things. That's democracy. :D

Regarding favoritism, I guess you can call it that if you want: the CoE endorses projects it sees as in the interest of at least some segment of the community. Not everyone is interested in virtual cards, but a lot of people think they're cool. Not everyone is interested in getting the rules figured out exactly to the letter; they prefer to play the cards according to theme rather than according to the text, but many people want to get it right. That's what the NetRep team is for.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: what do you think the CoE should do? "Govern", sure. But that means nothing. What does that governing amount to in your mind? Simply being a figurehead? I can't see what else you would allow, given the number and scope of things you don't want to be on this website.

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”