My new map

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
PaulGrogan

Because I like playing with photoshop:

http://people.exeter.ac.uk/pg234/runest ... lfsize.png

As the name suggests, this is actually half size. Well, its actually 50% less both width and height, so technically its a quarter size. Full hi res version is ~60Mb.

Comments / errors spotted welcome
Brabo

Nice! The standard ICE map, but now WITH sites and not just the regions. Well done :)

EDIT: One thing though: on your map it doesn't show the connections between Khand & Nurn and Horse Plains & Nurn. It looks like the lower and right edge are cropped compared to the official map.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On gccg my name is 'Wisp'
PaulGrogan

Oh bugger. That map took me bloomin ages. And now its wrong! :(

Will put fixing it onto my list of things to do.
Brabo

I wouldn't say wrong, it's a beautiful map! :)
But the map is cropped and unfortunately the connections between aforementioned regions are in the area's that are cut.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On gccg my name is 'Wisp'
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

also, i would be great to have the hero sites from MEAS in it as well.
Darksatin

You should take a look here on the old forum :

http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.php?t=1093
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Indeed, all of the meas hero sites are incorrectly placed on that map.
Look for the upcoming DC Map which will include all normal sites, as well as all dc sites of course and the regions north, south and east of the current map.

Btw. there's also quite a bit wrong with your map. You switched Variag Camp and Southron Oasis. Though Southron Oasis is rather unlikely to be in Harondor, Variag Camp is certainly not there!
You also switched Minas Morgul and Cirith Ungol. Either way, Minas Morgul (now Ungol) should be more South.
Many of your region symbols seem rather elliptical, not circular. In Shop it should be pretty easy to keep the proportions equal.

Then again, ICE made their fair share of mistakes as well, but if you do a new map, better do it right, right? :wink:
Dale is of course East of Lonely Mountain, not west.
Ovir Hollow is west in the Narrows, not east.
Gondmaeglom should not even be in the Narrows, but that's another matter :roll:
Henneth Annun is too far north, but okay.

Hope this helps
cheers
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
PaulGrogan

Thanks for the comments, I'll certainly get working on that and fixing the errors.

The region circles shoul be circular, I'll double check to see what has happened there.

As for the sites, I didnt know exactly where within a region a site should be so I guessed. For play purposes, as long as the site is in a region, it doesnt really matter, but I would like it to be accurate and correct.

If I have sites actually in the wrong region though, thats another matter and one that needs fixing.

What is this DC map you mention?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

For the DC Main Map, have a look here

http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... =32&t=1333
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Aranarth

Paul, this is a nice map with a really great choice in fonts. I hope that you do correct it and offer it up again. Interesting how you put a subtle glow around site symbols, and increased the lightness of the terrain to make darker text and borders really stand out. I just looked at someone else's map creation with the opposite effect - dark terrain with white text/borders:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/dow ... dowB33.jpg?

Not the prettiest effect (or choice of fonts) but very legible and functional. Havens and Darkhavens get double site symbols - well done.
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Dale is of course East of Lonely Mountain, not west.
My friend - Dale is actually South of The Lonely Mountain in the vale of the Celduin (River Running) which exits the south face of Erebor. This is stated explicitly in The Hobbit in more than one place. Thror's Map is not oriented normally and North is actually the left side of the map, perhaps giving one the quick and mistaken impression that Dale is East if one doesn't read the fine print about the directions of the Grey Mountains, Iron Hills, and Mirkwood there.
PaulGrogan

Hi.

Can you remind me again what is wrong with the map and I'll dig out the file, fix it and offer it up again.

Aranarth wrote:Paul, this is a nice map with a really great choice in fonts. I hope that you do correct it and offer it up again. Interesting how you put a subtle glow around site symbols, and increased the lightness of the terrain to make darker text and borders really stand out. I just looked at someone else's map creation with the opposite effect - dark terrain with white text/borders:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/dow ... dowB33.jpg?

Not the prettiest effect (or choice of fonts) but very legible and functional. Havens and Darkhavens get double site symbols - well done.
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Dale is of course East of Lonely Mountain, not west.
My friend - Dale is actually South of The Lonely Mountain in the vale of the Celduin (River Running) which exits the south face of Erebor. This is stated explicitly in The Hobbit in more than one place. Thror's Map is not oriented normally and North is actually the left side of the map, perhaps giving one the quick and mistaken impression that Dale is East if one doesn't read the fine print about the directions of the Grey Mountains, Iron Hills, and Mirkwood there.
Aranarth

Paul:

Numerous sites are misplaced on your map, or missing (like those from Against the Shadow). Most are in the correct region, but the wrong locations. Some are in the wrong regions altogether. The map that I linked to above (Middle Earth with ShadowB33.jpg 2.26 MB) has 99% of the sites in the right place, and you can use it as reference comparing its locations to your own. [Except Dale is still supposed to be directly south and adjacent to the Lonely Mountain, and Cirith Gorgor should connect Udun to Dagorlad -NOT Udun to Gorgoroth! Cirith Gorgor is basically the Morannon, the Black Gate into Mordor. Technically-speaking, I.C.E. really should have placed it in Dagorlad, or made it accessible to Hero companies from Dagorlad- so they don't have to play the Morranon card to get to it! (sigh) Oh well...]

Additionally, your map is based on the old ICE map before the official revision (which I think was released to European markets only? and the LE Player Guide) that added a small margin of land onto the east side of the map. This allows for Khand, Nurn, and Horse Plains to be connected.

You can see that clearly in the "promomap_full":

http://elricx.free.fr/images/promomap_full.jpg

linked to in this thread (in case above doesn't work):
http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.p ... e5c031481f

I wouldn't use this one as reference for sites though -especially the newer AtS ones.

Additionally, I found a high rez copy of Hartwig's (the artist who painted this map for ICE) map. I'll PM you about that.
Aranarth

Paul, what are the two fonts that you used on your map for sites and regions??

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”