Middle Earth : The Rewrite

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
henrikbe

3. Actually, I think it was fine the way you did it, allowing wizards to SacForm on their opponents. In any case, it's very thematic - even if you're a big guy, you shouldn't mess around with those wizards (just ask the balrog what he thinks..).
Henrik
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I think the problem would be that even the possibility of Sacrifice of Form would kill Hero vs. Minion CvCC completely -- in which case, why have CvCC at all? No minion player in his right mind would build a CvCC deck if all it meant was that his company has a chance to die with -3 body.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Hence in dc we use the rule that modifying prowess/body of an attack in CvCC only modifies 1 strike. Suppose you shoot a whole company with 1 Black Arrow? That's a mighty shot my friend. Ok you might argue a Bitter Cold affects everyone, but we chose this option. Sacrificing to kill 1 character, that's not too bad.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

A valid solution, but one of my goals in this project is to have rules on cards whenever possible rather than to force somebody to look something up. I can only think of those two as real problems; Bitter Cold might give an edge, but so does The Dwarves Are Upon You!
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

the issue is mainly body modification. Bitter Cold lowers opponent's bodys, Dwarves Upon modifies your own :wink:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I've done what is quite possibly the annual update; many typos are fixed, and I incorporated an idea based on feedback I received: The number in the lower right of a card is now simply a corruption point total. Thus, a low-mind dwarf may start with 1 corruption, while Frodo starts with -4. This ultimately makes more sense once you can shake off a decade of tradition. :) There should also be a link to the rules file as a google doc; I hope I posted the right link.
traemyn

Bandobras, thank you for your work on this and the URD.

I've had some cards for a long time and never really played a game. I decided recently to finally learn this game and I am a bit torn on using the URD or the Rewrite. There are many problems spelled out in the URD of the normal ruleset so I lean towards the Rewrite rules. The problem I see with the Rewrite is that its going to be very hard to find people to play with (online even), add to that fact it appears hard enough already to find normal rule MECCG players.

Is there a group/website/list of people that play using the Rewrite rules? Who will play with me if I learn and use it? :D
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Hi all

well it would be easy to implement a rewrite version into SVN GCCG, that is if we ever get GCCG running again

yours Nicolai
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

One of my goals was in not forcing anybody to download this who doesn't want to, which is why I didn't try to get it put with the rest of the SVN stuff.

I might be able to play with you (once GCCG works again) if you PM; I definitely need playtesters.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Another round of updates in the original post. Once again, I remind all that these files overwrite nothing in your GCCG setup; the alternate .bat points to the alternate files included in the download.

And I'm starting to have enough time again that I might be able to playtest on GCCG with all two and a half people who are interested. :)
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

for all you care to know ...
the rewrite stuff is now within SVN installation, so you get have it if you update core and then start the METR.bat file

yours Nicolai
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

A big thank you to Vastor for his help with this!

P.S. There are many who say I should have been committed a long time ago. :)
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

I am finally done to include the RW material into SVN version, now all images can be viewed from the same folders . . .

just update SVN metw folder

please feel free to comment

yours Nicolai
dirhaval

METR. Now I know what it must of been like when Numenor went under and Elendil come to Gondor riding on a wave.
I agree that the cards need changing. Yes, something that should have been a long time ago as Treebeard would say.

Ents in search of MECCG
Melenamarth

Just had a look at this, wow. This really seems to resolve quite a lot of the vagueness of this game. Too bad that actually playing this physically is so difficult, with all of the modified card texts.

A couple of things I noticed:
No more doubling of MP's?
It doesn't appear to say anywhere that sites don't untap
Why did you stop discarded sites from becoming available again after exhausting?
On timing: all in all, a great effort to clear things up, but I'm a little unclear as to when I might take actions to modify things like corpse-candle's corruption checks, or how exactly to implement the troll trio's item discard effects.

Again, thanks for the (no doubt tremendous) effort you put in to this, I think I may just try to find a way to use this with my physical cards.

(PS. as for your URD, also a great effort, but I can't find the rules for exhausting decks and specifically site cards in there either)

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”