Repackaging cards for "sealed" deck games

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
jhunholz
Ex Council Chairman

This topic has been brought up before, but my search skills aren't finding it. Has anyone thought of a good, sensible way to re-package a stock of cards for use in a sealed tournament? I know probably the most accurate way would be to look how often cards appeared in the print runs and repackage that way, but that is extremely time consuming. What I'm thinking is something along the lines of this:

10 - 15 random characters
5 random minor items
40 random hazards (including a mix of half creatures/half events)
10ish random items
5 random factions
3 random allies
7 random perm events with points
15 random resource events

Rares would be limited to probably 3 per pack (similar to the challenge decks). Uncommons/commons would probably be mixed together just for simplicity sake.

The one big issue that comes to mind is uniqueness - you can't do it totally at random or you'll pack up some boxes with multiple of a unique item or character. While this could happen in a real sealed deck, it was pretty rare.

So what are your thoughts? Do you think this could be an enjoyable format? What changes would you make?
zirilan

With 28 non-rare hero factions and 60 non-rare hero characters getting the faction for your given character is not very likely.

With like 15 resource events you will get "gates of morning" cards without gates of morning.

There should be some fixed character+faction and at least one gates of morning in each of the packs.

The concept of adding allys is also good.

As for uniqueness of characters, in the consiting 5 hero fixed packs there are multile Kilis, Annalenas, Boromirs, Bard the Bowmans etc. etc.

I have mailed Treebeard (Franck from gccg) and he mailed me the fixed pack list for the starter packs, they are a good help.

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”