LoRE beta rules and card text

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
jhunholz
Ex Council Chairman

One of the guys who was part of the LoRE beta (Lord of the Rings Expandable card game - AKA MECCG version 2) sent me a copy of rules and card list that ICE distributed to beta testers before they lost their license. He is also posting them on Boardgame Geek, but I thought it would be nice to have them on our forums as well so I'm attaching them to this post. This gives you an idea of changes ICE wanted to make if they had been able to keep their license.
Attachments
LoRE beta cards.xlsx
card list
(54.53 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
LoRE beta rules.docx
LoRE beta card list
(181.88 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
Mordakai
Council Member

Very interesting, what could have been but was not... :|
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Muzgash

I was kind of sad that it wasn't a more dramatic departure :(
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It's fascinating how many of those changes made it into my rewrite without my having used LoRE as a reference document . . .
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Muzgash

Bandobras Took wrote:It's fascinating how many of those changes made it into my rewrite without my having used LoRE as a reference document . . .
I was thinking the same thing.
Logain
Ex Council Member

If a METW Magic Editor Set exists, i'd be willing to make all the changes in the document to have the corresponding cards.
Mordakai
Council Member

It does exist, check here
Logain
Ex Council Member

Yeah i know the environment and the possibility exist, thanks.

I was wondering if someone has a "Middle Earth : The Wizards".mse-set file.
I could use it, allowing to copy paste this beta version on existing cards with images. Copying the images and modifying card types on the set will be long otherwise.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Logain wrote:Copying the images and modifying card types on the set will be long otherwise.
You're telling me. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Mordakai
Council Member

Logain wrote:I was wondering if someone has a "Middle Earth : The Wizards".mse-set file.
I could use it, allowing to copy paste this beta version on existing cards with images. Copying the images and modifying card types on the set will be long otherwise.
Well, I have part of it. I FAQed some cards from TW, TD and DM to make some "correct proxies" of them, and I have the files (as well as LE, AS, WH and BA complete :wink: ). The bad news are that, apart from being an incomplete set of TW, it is in Spanish :roll:
Logain
Ex Council Member

Well that's not a problem, i'll have to copy paste all texts anyway, but i'll win much time with your layout on those cards.

I you can send me that i'll do the Second Edition bêta set. PM send with my email adress.
Mordakai
Council Member

Done!!
Logain
Ex Council Member

Still items and ressources to do.

Changes i identified are :
Aimed at faster play probably :
* only 2 companies allowed.
* sided cards are put in a "reserve pile", to be returned to your deck at the end of your turn.

Aimed at simplifying probably :
* "Short event" become "Event", "Long -" and "Permanent event" become "Condition".
* Character draft is no more simultaneous, 5 characters maximum (so two 4 mind characters + 3 zero mind is possible). Start is possible at Edhellond, Lórien, Rivendell, or Minas Tirith (but factions far from Rivendell like Southrons earn less MPs).
* No site cards anymore, a map is used (but how exactly isn't clear). Movement is 3 regions instead or 4. No starter movement.
* You don't automatically double your MPs if your opponent has none from the same type, but cards can be used to allow it.

Influence :
* Mind value = character mps. General influence = 8. Cards like muster disperse or call of home based on highest character mp value in company (5 if a wizard).
* Direct influence changes accordingly. Characters that have 0 mind value do not count vs GI.
* Influencing an opponent's card can be done with specific cards only, which give the rules to rule it.
* Faction rolls are made by adding character's mind (DI is only used towards controling characters).
* You can play more than one character during your organization phase but it must be done under DI.

Deck building :
* 5 non main characters maximum, + those left from the character pool.
* Creature minimum is 10 in a deck, not counting creaturs that can also be played as conditions or events.

New :
* A starting minor item can be replaced by a quest card, like Path the Doors of Dol Guldur (but 2MPs).
* Lawyer's Chain of effect isn't applyed here, a good thing. Only a counter card can be used in a chain of effect.
* Minor items do not tap the site.
* During an attack strikes in excess also give -1 to body.
* Movement to Gorgoroth must be done through a stop at Imlad Morgul or through Udun or Nurn.
* No character MPs anymore, they are tools to get MPs. Council at 15 MPs or after 2 decks.

Target number concept.
* Factions check succeed if greater or equal than TN.
* Removing hazard conditions that are removable succed if greater or equal than TN.
* Most character's body value is increased by 1 but rules state target is killed if roll is greater or equal than body.
* Most character's corruption value is increased by 1 but rules state target is eliminated if roll is equal or lower than 1.

Sideboarding
* Sideboarding Instead of Playing Hazards : If you play no hazards on one of your opponent's companies, you may sideboard a hazard.
* Sideboarding Instead of Playing Resources : If you enter a site, and play no resources with that company after facing any automatic-attacks, you may sideboard a resource.
* Sideboarding When You Exhaust Your Deck : Whenever you exhaust your play deck, you may sideboard five cards.
* Sideboarding When You Tap Your Main Character : During your organization phase, you may tap your main character to sideboard a resource or character.
* Sideboarding When You Discard a Nazgûl Condition : During your opponent's movement phase, you may discard one of your Nazgûl conditions in play to sideboard a hazard. This counts against the hazard limit.
Last edited by Logain on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mordakai
Council Member

Nice brief of the main changes. I personally love the sideboarding changes. Also, as i understood from the rulings, you don't sideboard to the deck directly, you have an additional deck where you put all your sideboarding during a turn (and also the discarding that you "don't want to discard really, but hand size forces to", and at the end of turn you shuffle it into the deck, correct? Seems pretty useful, only one shuffling per turn, and no sideboarded card can show up the same turn it came from the SB...
Logain
Ex Council Member

Yes, those cards will be placed in a "reserve pile", to be returned to your deck at the end of your turn.

Tempted to propose a Second Edition Bêta tournament at next Lure...

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”