The 'Top Ten' Rarest MECCG cards

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
Muad'Dib

I think there should be two cattegories. 1st for playable cards like Longbottom Leaf and 2nd for collector cards. For me its obvious the most expensive 'useful' piece of paper is Longbottom Leaf. Very hard to get because it comes from The Balrog. But also because there is great need. One of the best cards, probably also 1st choice when start building hero/fallen wizard deck. And usually we need more than one copy.

In the 2nd category - collector stuff, definitely top no one is japanese Fury of the Iron Crown. My adventure with MECCG started in 2006 (actually 1999/2000, but till 2006 i didnt play). Since that time i saw all cards online for trade or sell except japanese Fury. Im not sure about the number but it looks like exist ~30 copies, and it wasnt ever official published. The first time when i had a chance to see that card, was 3 years ago when bought japanese collection.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Lake Town Geezer

Good idea. Maybe you can suggest the top 10 usable cards to get us rolling?

My guess there could be 5 or so Balrog cards in there? Also cards like Assassin? Oddly I bet for power players the one ring isn't there? Rolled down to the Sea?

In terms of collectors list I think the top three , as in the opening post, is reasonable. Then it gets tough. Where do the Italian Fixed limited wizards come in relative to the Jap limited ones for example?

Another top 10 could be in terms of 'art coolness' is also highly subjective. For me number one here would be ' Lake Town' by Eric D Anderson. However I am guessing few others would put this at number one. Number 2 would probably be 'Galadrial' by Angus McBride, for me. Ah.... Wonderful stuff! He is greatly missed.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Lake Town Geezer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:33 pm Good idea. Maybe you can suggest the top 10 usable cards to get us rolling?

My guess there could be 5 or so Balrog cards in there? Also cards like Assassin? Oddly I bet for power players the one ring isn't there? Rolled down to the Sea?

In terms of collectors list I think the top three , as in the opening post, is reasonable. Then it gets tough. Where do the Italian Fixed limited wizards come in relative to the Jap limited ones for example?

Another top 10 could be in terms of 'art coolness' is also highly subjective. For me number one here would be ' Lake Town' by Eric D Anderson. However I am guessing few others would put this at number one. Number 2 would probably be 'Galadrial' by Angus McBride, for me. Ah.... Wonderful stuff! He is greatly missed.
I also think you should have 2 different lists. One for English versions and one which includes all languages. The reason is because a lot of players/collectors only collect English version cards (or their own native language) and are otherwise uninterested in the niche and very hard to find Japanese versions, etc.

Here is my input:

All Languages List:
- Remove all English cards from spots 8, 9, 10.
- Add German Taschendieb, Japanese Fatty Bolger, and something else?

English List:
Spots 3-11: Nurniags (hero), Angmarim (hero), The Ithil-Stone, Bairanax Roused, Daelomin Roused, Earcaraxe Roused, Leucaruth Roused, Itangast Roused, Sauron
[in no particular order]

Spots 1-2: Longbottom Leaf / Farmer Maggot

This list is pretty boring because its dominated by all 9 R1s from AtS.
Other forum members have also pointed out that The Ithil-Stone deserves a premium below Maggot and above the other R1s. I haven't noticed this myself, but perhaps it is the case.

Finally, I don't believe any of the cards you mentioned (Assassin, Rolled Down to the Sea, The One Ring) deserve a spot on the list. These cards are popular and have some value, but were printed in much higher numbers than cards from The Balrog. Probably 1/3 of the cards from The Balrog set would make the list before these cards do. Assassin and One Ring have typically been valued around $15-$18 each. Rolled Down is lower, probably in the $5-$8 range.

Also take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3131
Lake Town Geezer

Thanks for this Jabberwock.

RE all languages list: I agree about Taschendieb, I had forgotten about that card...great art too. Jap Fatty, I think is easier to get than many of the Jap Limited Rares or the Ilalian Fixed Wizards cards.

Also on this list I would probably swap the Jap Black Arrow and the Dutch Fatty.

Maybe something like:

1. Jap Fury
2. Jap Black Arrow
3. Dutch Fatty
4. Jap one ring
5. Taschendieb
6. Dutch Test of Form(with, counting without as a miss print)
7. Jap Assassin
8. All the Italian Wizards Fixed cards
9. All the other Jap Wizards Limited Rares
10. Jap Fatty (although I know of one shop selling these at the moment)
CardGameGeek

I have no much knowledge about non English ones, but Finnish Fixed Set is it rare as Jap and Ita or lesser ?
You can always find my MECCG Haves and Wants here.
Proud owner of cardgamegeek.com

In love with MECCG since 1995
Lake Town Geezer

From what I can see you can still get Finnish starter decks for Wizards... Whereas Italian and Japanese are really difficult to find.

However I have to say the printing and lettering (even though I cannot read it) is absolutely gorgeous on the Finnish cards. I would like to build a complete Finnish set, and have started, but my finances are demanding other Meccg purchases ar the moment... There are other opportunities too good to miss with this amazing game. To me Finnish writing looks like Elvish.

It may be that one day the Finnish cards are indeed as rare and impossible to find as the Japanese and Italian sets... So my hunch (declaring I am not a financial advisor) is they could be a nice thing to try and get at the moment.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Finnish F cards should be no proble, but there are others really hard to find cards:
- spanish LE Fixed cards. Starters have always been extremely rare
- also there are a few french c-cards in the Dark Minion series, that are difficult to find.
Lake Town Geezer

Thanks Thorondor - I had forgotten about the difficult to get French DMs and Spanish LEs also.

Where would these scale , in difficulty to get, relative to the Japanese Ltd Wizards and Italian Fixed cards?
Poniatowski

The price of cards is insane.....

I am always looking, just to stay on top of things even if I don't get to play. My advice.. check eBay.. check it often.

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”