Reused art

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
Mordakai

Re: Reused art

Post by Mordakai »

Wow, Bilbo's images are so close... and also reflect what a great illustrator was McBride (specially side to side with poor Mark Poole).

We can also spot reused art in Bilbo's illustration: the card back of site cards, centered in Mirkwood. It's an interesting case, those of the characters (and Goldberry and Gollum) from McBride were originally B/W images (you can see them in MERP), they were coloured and added some background; sometimes site card back, like Bilbo and Frodo, sometimes a pattern, as in Aragorn or Galadriel...
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...

Khamul the Easterling
Council Member

Post by Khamul the Easterling »

These sceneries are somewhat similar, especially the appearance of the smith. Coincidence? ;)
Attachments
Rings.jpg
Rings.jpg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 136 times

CDavis7M

Post by CDavis7M »

Khamul the Easterling wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:14 pm
These sceneries are somewhat similar, especially the appearance of the smith. Coincidence? ;)
And this one -- no coincidence!

Khamul the Easterling
Council Member

This is an easy one: Two versions of Isengard by Ted Nasmith. Isengard is so clearly described in the books there's few ambiguity on how it looked like (so it's not a "reused" art if you compare it to other artists' Isengard versions). However, Ted's versions are still strikingly similar.
Attachments
Isengart.png
Isengart.png (189.67 KiB) Viewed 49 times

Khamul the Easterling
Council Member

This is more interesting: The Wizard's ring is not an element in the books. So Rousselle's first in presenting an idea on how it might look like. Freeman clearly takes up the design of the ring.
Attachments
ring.png
ring.png (197.85 KiB) Viewed 49 times

CDavis7M

Post by CDavis7M »

Khamul the Easterling wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 pm
The Wizard's ring is not an element in the books. So Rousselle's first in presenting an idea on how it might look like.
Good catch on the Wizard's Ring art being re-used. From what I can tell there is no description of the "Wizard's Ring" being a hand holding the band. This is all that I remember:
But I rode to the foot of Orthanc, and came to the stair of Saruman; and there he met me and led me up to his high chamber. He wore a ring on his finger.
And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours.

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”