German R1's prices on eBay!

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
astronaut1980

So, some people seem to be trying to sell these R1's at £50-£75 (€60-€90) EACH! But I just bought a complete R1 set from Gwaihir for €99, still factory sealed, no packaging.

Some other guy is selling the exact same set for $450. I can possibly, maybe believe that not having Gwaihir over in the states, coupled with the insanity with stimulus and obsessive investing in collectibles, that the prices could be driven up, but WTF is the UK seller trying to pull?

What is the story with this German ATS set anyway? I'm guessing if they released the entire set complete with R1's, then the R1's aren't really all that rare compared to their English counterparts. I can't find any info online about what the box looked like or anything, and I've only seen it wrapped in polythene, very much like the the two balrog bricks that came in a box.

And what did the print sheet look like?

Can anybody shed some light on this?
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

ATS German set as sold sealed 1x each to the set

to get a play set you had to get in 3x, so most german players have the the playset so 2 extra to their R1

some of these will put their 3rd and 2nd copy for sale with these prices for sure

yours Nicolai
astronaut1980

I'm not quite following. Was there a single copy of each card in the set? I haven't opened mine to find out.

If there is one of each card then the R1's are as common as the commons.
tyhjaarpa

astronaut1980 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:48 am I'm not quite following. Was there a single copy of each card in the set? I haven't opened mine to find out.

If there is one of each card then the R1's are as common as the commons.
I believe one of each card.
Monkey drinks masters wine. Do you like drunken monkey?
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

There were three versions of German MEAS sets:

1) Complete set of German MEAS (1 copy of each card), accompanied by by a METW starter and 2 (oe 4?) boosters. Sold in the "Bilbo" boxes which had been used earlier to sell 2 TW starters + 4 TW boosters (along with decklists, rulesbook, One Ring- cardboard counters). There was an outer paper wrapping around the boxes, showing the ME Burning Eye image on a dark green background. On the back side of the wrapping the German MEAS rules were printed.

2) Complete set of German MEAS (1 copy of each of the unique cards, 3 copies of all non-unique), accompanied as see above. This was a very strictly limited edition. Only directly sold by Queen Games (the German distributor) and looking identically to the above version.

3) Complete set of German MEAS set (1 copy of each card) along with a binder and 9 pocket pages, a "limited edition certificate", all in a large box with the "Vanishment" illustration as cover. This set came out later when Queen Games produced several of these set boxes from what they hadn't yet sold. These sets were for sale for cheap prices (30 € in the end) at toys'r'us.

For photos, see viewtopic.php?p=38470#p38470
astronaut1980

Thanks for the link. This helps enormously. It also confirms my suspicions that the guy on eBay selling R1's is a scamming POS. Technically he's not doing anything wrong but in my eyes he's just another one of these opportunistic ***holes driving up prices and making it more expensive for new players.

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”