Draft of CoE Digest #202 Q1 - The Hunt + Fellowship/I'll report you - Open until Nov 22

Manuel
Council Chairman

In order to contribute to this thread please follow these rules:

1) The thread will be open until Nov 22.
2) There will be a maximum of one reply per forum user, and that reply cannot be edited. We want to actively avoid starting "flame wars", so please speak your peace, let others speak their peace, and that's it.
3) After the review period, the ROC will carefully consider everyone's contributions, revise the draft as appropriate, and then the Digest will be published and official.
How does The Hunt interact with cards that affect an entire company?

There are actually three previous rules digests that cover the interaction between The Hunt and cards played on a company that affect the entire company, such as Fellowship or I’ll Report You, but not all of these digests share the same interpretation and none of them bother to explain why.

First, we have:
ICE RULES DIGEST #3

On the questions side, I tried an Alatar hunting deck recently and the following questions came up.

1. If I have a four person company (of which Alatar is a part) that has three Fellowships played on it, does Alatar benefit from these when he hunts things?

Yes.
But this subsequent digest by ICE contradicts the previous one:
ICE RULES DIGEST #530

If the company has Fellowship or a leader with I'll Report You, would Alatar get the prowess benefit from these when using The Hunt?

No. He is a separate company by himself.
And then later, the CoE NetRep ruled differently than ICE #530, but similar to ICE #3, although they didn’t mention I’ll Report You.
QUERY 3
Dominic asked:

“Alatar plays The Hunt; Fellowship has been played on his company: Is Fellowship discarded? Does he get a +1 prowess bonus?”

Yes, he does get the bonus. No, the Fellowship is not discarded.
Acknowledging these conflicting interpretations, this committee is now attempting to put an end to this discussion. Both ICE #3 and CoE #120 are correct, but they don’t fully explain why. The correct answers are:

Alatar benefits from the effects of Fellowship and I’ll Report You because The Hunt says the creature attacks Alatar as though he were a one-character company, but that doesn’t mean he splits into a different company. He’s still technically part of the big company.
For this same reason, Fellowship doesn’t get discarded. Alatar is not leaving the company; he's just being attacked as though he were a one-character company.

Note that this ruling extends and/or overturns ICE Digest #3 Q10, ICE Digest #530 Q1 and CoE Digest #120 Q3.
www.meccg.com

Return to “Drafts”