election of a new council

thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Chairman Gavin hasnt shown up here for a long while, so i take it upon myself and plan the organization of the election of a new council (finally).
Following the Charter, the task is to:
- set a date for the election (polling thread here in the forum) in 2 months from now. I propose January 22nd, 2023. I will make an announcment on Monday evening.
- select an independent non-Council member to audit the final vote results. Any proposals or volunteers? Please contact me.
- we (the current council) are in charge of finding candidates, according to what the Charter says:
The Chair and current Council will endeavor to find ten or more candidates within the time frame of two months after the announcement of elections. If nine or more people run for election, then voting will be held to fill the eight vacancies. Each voting constituent of the forum will vote for two less candidates than the total number who run for election. (ie. If ten people run, then each voting member will vote for eight candidates, etc.) If exactly six, seven, or eight people run for election, then all of those who run will be appointed to the new Council, and no voting will be held. If less than six people run, then appointment of a new council will be postponed until a time that a minimum of six active candidates can be found.
Okay so?
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

one thing i think needs to be looked into in the election procedure:

I. Composition of the Council:
a) The Council shall be comprised of a maximum of 9 and a minimum of 7 members. The number of seats up for election each election shall be eight. The Chair is not up for election.

III. Organization & Duties of the Council:
a) Formal Decisions: Upon seating the newly elected Council, the first order of business of each session of the Council shall be the election of a Chair from among their midst.
If there are only 8 seats up for election, how could the council ever be comprised of 9 members? That works only, if
The Chair is not up for election
means, that he automatically is part of the new council, though not necessarily the chairman of it. Is that so?
If so, with Gavon being around no longer, that would put us in the situation of having a resigned council member in the ranks from the very start of the next session.

Should definately be amended, i guess. Also, a vice chairman should be elected. But that´s up to the new council to decide.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

thorondor wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:41 pm If there are only 8 seats up for election, how could the council ever be comprised of 9 members? That works only, if
means, that he automatically is part of the new council, though not necessarily the chairman of it. Is that so?
more likely it means, that the next chairman is elected by the current council among themselve, no? I can´t read it in the Charter, but thats how it was done in the past.

Shall we do so again? Well then, any volunteers?
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

thorondor wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:41 pm If there are only 8 seats up for election, how could the council ever be comprised of 9 members? That works only, if
more likely it means, that the next chairman is elected by the current council among themselve, no? I can´t read it exactly so in the Charter, but thats how it was done in the past.

Shall we do so again? Well then, any volunteers?
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Thanks, Wolfgang, for starting the process!

Highly support the idea of electing a new council!

I'd stand up for re-election with main field of activity in the rules field. The ARV development has unfortunately come to a standstill since the departure of Gavin. We already did some work on this so wouldn't have to start from scratch for the period to come.
Anyway, I'm happy to step aside if any other ambitious players would like to go with that and provide them with the work already done. (It's already online in the restricted part of the forum).
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

nobody among the current made a proposal for a new chairman till now, nor seems to be willing to run as a candidate. Well, there is still a little bit of time ...
Anyway: the charter doesnt say anything about a situation, where the current council isnt able to bring forth a chair. Imo the logical thing would be, that the new council members start with electing the new chair among themselves. And the minimum of candidates up for election should be 7 instead of 6.

Better ideas? Any alternative?
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

I am pondering to run still
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Vastor Peredhil wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:06 pm I am pondering to run still
Sure, feel free to do so.
The question here now is about the chair for the next session. Wanna take that role?
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

situation has changed, there are 2 of us running as cnadidates again. Nico "Vastor Peredhil" and Christoph "Khamul the Easterling".

Its our task to find a new chairman among us for the start of the next COE session, if possible. So the question is: would one of you like to take the crown - at least for a moment?
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

the COE election has ended and a new council is elected. That means, that this session is finally over and the torch is automatically forwarded to the new Council members. Good luck!!

Return to “Active Agenda Items”