appointing a new NetRep

thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

there is an initiative among Spanish players to constitute a new NetRep (team). Foremost, Manuel Cabezali is willing to act as the NetRep, having at least 2 other Spanish players as sidekicks (Marcos Cáceres and Pedro Mellado).

I was asked to bring this to the attention of the COE.
It´s part of our agenda to maintain a NetRep that takes care of rulings and clarification. While probably there is no doubt that a rules authority is needed, maybe we can discuss here how this can be enabled best in order to serve the needs of the community.

There are a lot of rules questions brought up here in the forum, that within a very short time transform into a controversy between Konrad Klar and Chris Davis (and sometimes Theo) - often without a clear final result. While their input could be a great source for good rulings, i very much prefer a coolheaded guy like Manuel, who also has the perspective of a tourney player.

In this context: it would be very welcome to have all the rules combined in one big document.

Any comments and suggestions?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I had a lengthy conversation about this with Sergio Martinez (Kodi) earlier this year. At the time I had some reservations about organizing an all-Spanish NetRep team, which not only comes from a single community (of non-native English speakers), but would also have to contend with contrarian forces, of those who seem to derive satisfaction from having endless discussions about this game rather than actually play it, and/or from those who seem to disagree with the notion that a community-representing body has the authority to make decisions on gameplay.

I had also not been aware there are quite a few issues awaiting decision. Do the endless debates about each dot, komma and interpretation of "only" actually affect the players of meccg? After the 2018 CoE Erratum process, the storm of posts and discussions that burst was such that I zoned out. Fixing a few holes in the ceiling is good, reconstructing the whole building was not the purpose. Who are we trying to help out here?

But, it is also obvious that the lack of comprehensive and accessible information on the rules of meccg (and its many rulings) make a complex game even harder to digest for new players, and this is a real threat to the future of meccg. And the Spanish have a momentum going, having revived gccg, set-up a functioning (and good-looking) website, organizing tournaments and attracting new players.

It's important to seize this momentum, and appoint a NetRep who not only answers questions from (new) players, but also makes informed decisions on the pending issues, publishes a digest, and updates the CRF (very important!), adding later rulings (and CoE errata), weeding out contradictions, even overturns a few rulings that have been shown incorrect in light of new information.

After another "long good talk" about this with Sergio today, I am reassured that this is the way to go. Manuel will make a good NetRep. He's been in the NetRep team before, is open minded and will ask advise from many sources, without falling into the trap of endless debating. He is supported by a few energetic and committed players with much experience, who can also do legwork.

Now, it is also true that the current session of the Council of Elrond has long since expired. Should appointing a new NetRep be a task of a new Council? Well, ideally yes. But any new Council can overturn decisions from previous Councils. I would suggest that we do hold a new election, but in the meantime, lets settle this issue first.

Thus, since we have no word from Gavin our president, and I forgot who is the vice, while Wolfgang got the ball rolling a month ago, I hope he doesn't mind if I move to just call the vote.

All in favour of appointing Manuel Cabezalí as the new CoE NetRep? Please state yay or nay.

(and apologies for the wordy reply)
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

AYE
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Aye
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Aye.

A few things i would like to mention:
- One user told me via PM that he is a little bit concerned after he had a look into the rules section of the Spansih forum, where he found some mistakes. So a Netrep with a team, that is quite close to him, might add fuel to the already exisiting controversities. More diversity might be needed for reliable decisions.
- Language might be an issue. Though Manuel speaks/understands English without any problems, a native speaker with good English grammar skills would be helpful.
- It was mentioned that there is no legitimation for the current council to install a new NetRep. Which cannot be denied. Still: For now i would say it´s better this way than having no NetRep at all. But we should take care to have a legitimate COE asap. Till then the NetRep acts and the rulings are under reserve, waiting to be confirmed by the then new or confirmed NetRep.
rezwits
Council Member

Aye.
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

I do support the idea of having a netrep team instead of a single person and also having a native English speaker (or some non-native with substantial proficiency) among them. Members within the team may organize their work in any fashion they find adequate. This as a general perspective.
I'm fine with appointing a new netrep now, but would also have him confirmed (or replaced) by the Council to come.

In the ongoing election I abstain (as I'm sorry to say I don't know Manuel)
Fangorn
Ex Council Member

Hi everyone, sorry not to be active.
To be honest, I don't what NetRep is or represent, so I abstain.
Hrum, Hoom ! Do not be hasty, that is my motto.
Logain
Ex Council Member

Hello all

yay

I think the council should have the possibility to appoint a netrep, either from the persons who were nominated or from "outside", and each new council should have the possibilty upon nomination to change him (especially if inactive and someone else wants that charge) or keep him.
If that netrep can have a team and english native speakers, all the best, but he would decide.
Then the netrep should refer / show his work to the council.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

So finally at least 5 votes out of 9 in favor of having Manuel Cabezali installed as the new NetRep.
As a former member of the NetRep team he knows what it´s about. I would like to invite him to tell us a few things, how he wants to take up his new role. So I guess it´s time for Manuel to enter the stage.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Gavin replied to my email and it looks like he won't be spending time doing official announcements.
I looked it up but we never settled on a vice-chair for 2019-2021?

So, let's just call it and appoint Manuel Cabezali as the new NetRep.
We'll be doing a bit of restructuring of the forum, reinstating the NetRep's corner. I can do an announcement there, or do one here on the CoE section.

I'd also propose we hold CoE elections after Lure 2023. Meanwhile we can see what this appointment brings, new energy and/or controversy :wink:
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Yep, i agree, that Manuel is considered officially installed by the COE as the new NetRep. With all the flaws in legitimation, that are.
And we definately should move on and take care for a new election.

Return to “Active Agenda Items”