Making cards

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

Loupgris

I'm playing with the idea of making new cards (fallen-zards heavens in the south and east, Balrog heaven in south and east, Fori the beardless minion version with dragon bonus, Anarin balrog specific, Lotho Sackville-baggins agent hazard) but I have a trouble finding a way to write the text correctly and nice looking. Can anyone help ?
Muzgash

Have you seen this?

http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... =17&t=1460

I haven't made many cards, but it's pretty nice.
Loupgris

That exactly what I was looking for, I'll try it out later.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Did anyone ever hear or see any resulting cards?
Darksatin

Vastor Peredhil wrote:Did anyone ever hear or see any resulting cards?
You can see some cards there :
http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... php?t=2343

But they are in french...
I can translate some of them if you are interested.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017, user unbornchiken wrote:
unbornchiken wrote:I created this card as a first attempt some time ago, and posted it on the French Community Forum. I am not sure if it is good enough but I will leave it here in case it catches Eric/Nico's attention and makes it into the Dreamcards collection (fingers crossed)
With its own weapons was it worsted.jpg
With its own weapons was it worsted.jpg (49.15 KiB) Viewed 9608 times

This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017, user Thorsten the Traveller wrote:
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:It's great theme, but as a hazard it will be a rather obscure sideboard card seeing very little play.
You also realised that, making it playable as resource, but then it has potential to ruin a whole hazard strategy, and the theme is diminished (why would a Cardolani wight care if you have the Unfaithful Men of Lamedon on your side?).

Why not make it a resource playable on Aragorn, allowing him to take the Army to a minion opponent? (after which the faction returns home).
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Thursday, April 6, 2017, user unbornchiken wrote:
unbornchiken wrote:Thanks for the feedback Eric!
Regarding your comments:
"it's great theme, but as a hazard it will be a rather obscure sideboard card seeing very little play. You also realized that, making it playable as resource..."
I definitely thought this card as an extremely thematic hazard/resource. It is true that it would see very little play but that is also true for many cards across the expansions, is it not?

"but then it has potential to ruin a whole hazard strategy"
This puzzles me...there are several hazard strategies that can collapse as soon as you discard cards like Doors of Night...that easy...how terrible would it be that Undead attacks would temporally become detainment after playing a card that requires Army of the Dead to be played first? (which as you know required an untapped Aragorn II and Path of the Dead)? It is definitely not an easy card to play so the reward of playing it can only be according to the difficulty of playing this card...

"why would a Cardolani wight care if you have the Unfaithful Men of Lamedon"
This is a tough question...I do not know a lot about spirits politics...I would say that since both, the Cardolani wight and the Army of the Dead may have had a common enemy at some point (Witch-king of Angmar) there could be a level of understanding...even if that it not the case, I would think that there are more chances of deterring an Undead creature of attacking you in a deathly way (by diplomacy or by force), if you have an army of Undead along your side.

"Why not make it a resource playable on Aragorn, allowing him to take the Army to a minion opponent? (after which the faction returns home)"
This is an interesting suggestion...you mean giving the card a secondary resource function, or making it only a resource card? Would the faction follow Aragorn with attack/defense characteristics as an Ally? Could you elaborate?

Again, I really appreciate your feedback!
Thanks!

Rodrigo
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Friday, April 7, 2017, user Thorsten the Traveller wrote:
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:that is also true for many cards across the expansions.
There are various levels of (un)likelyhood to get to a card into play. As it stands, the card is depending not only on a unique resource, which in turn depends on a combo of 2 other cards, once in play it also depends on the choices of a specific (minion) opponent. That's probably 1 factor too many. That's why I proposed to eliminate the last factor, so you can actively seek out the minion opponent.

Yes theme cards are not the most frequently played, but if possible we try to make them depend on 1 player's choices, not both. Legendary Hoard requires quite a setup, but you can prepare for it with your deck. Imagine it would only work if opponent is visiting hoard sites, or has an At Home dragon in play...

how terrible would it be that Undead attacks would temporally become detainment
Not exactly broken, no :-). It's more a generic objection. If your strategy depends on Doors you can set up for it, deal with its counters (Twilights, Peril Returned, Outposts). This would be a resource which you can't counter (other than Many Sorrows Befall), yes its a long-event but there's always Echo of All Joy.

I would think that there are more chances of deterring an Undead creature (-), if you have an army of Undead along your side
I suppose most attacks against you might be detainment with an Army of Undead at your back :-). Thematically the Army of the Dead has little to do with Barrow-wights, Ghouls or Ghosts, Undead are not like a chummy family. But I get your point.

Could you elaborate?
You could keep the hazard aspect, but it will be a very full card then. You can simply make it a resource perm playable on Aragorn II (discard if Army is not in play). Discard before CvCC is declared (with a minion opponent) to have opponent face an attack. Is bit brutal as you can then finish them off with the CvCC, so could also do it instead of declaring CvCC. For coolness you could attach Army to the card, but then you run into some troubles and it costs more cardtext. Your original is not unique, though in the book they did only fight 1x. Hitting opponent several times might be also brutal, you could remove card from the game, or transfer it to Army and then cannot be duplicated, might even add 1 MP miscellaneous reward for it.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Monday, April 10, 2017, user Logain wrote:
Logain wrote:I like the ressource version, a short event.

Playable on Aragorn's company if Army of the Dead are in play.
May be played when facing an attack, all undead attacks against this company until the end of the turn become detainment.
May also be played when Aragorn's company declares Cvcc against an overt company. Before resolving Cvcc combat, opponent's company faces an attack : undead, 3 strikes with 15 prowess.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017, user unbornchiken wrote:
unbornchiken wrote:Thanks Logain and Eric for this valuable feedback...you guys pointed out many factors and possibilities I had not thought about before.
My main concern now is that there won't be enough space for the flavour text... :-( hahaha

Return to “News, Issues, Questions”