Bringing a Character Into Play

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

Muzgash

Bringing a character into play. Any character may be brought into play at his home site, under general or direct influence and during the organization phase, if you have another character present at that site (even if your avatar is in play but not at the site).
This seems clear to me, but given the drastic effect this rule can have on deck construction and strategy I just want to make sure of something.

Lord players have haven sites that allow them to bring characters into play without the presence of another character at the site. Non-Lord players, however, will never be able to bring a non-avatar character into play without having another character present at the site, even if that site is a haven or their home-site.

Is this correct?

P.S. A dream cards rules sub-forum would be great.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

You are correct, playing characters at a site without the presence of a company (when avatar is in play) is only allowed by the haven site cards of Elf -and Dwarf-lords.

But non-Lord-players still have it easier as their Havens allow (as per normal rule) a much wider range of characters. We disliked allowing the play of any type of character for Lords, for thematic reasons, so the Lord-haven cards compensate and make more active avatar decks possible.

Rules sub-forum? Can check that out, but I hope the DC rules are clear for the most part ;-)
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Muzgash

The dc rules are clear, but this is still meccg we're talking about after all! Case in point, I had been under the impression that under the dc rules you could not play a character without the presence of a company even if your avatar was not in play.

I definitely like the revised rules on playing characters. Anything to make a chance meeting/whctk less mandatory is a good thing!
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Hehe, that's true, with or without DC rules, it often remains a shady deal.

But of course, if the DC rule doesn't alter it, the standard rules are still the ones to adhere to, so I'm not sure where you got the impression that you'd need a company at the site in all cases. This is in fact the main advantage of playing avatarless: easy character play. :wink:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Muzgash

I think at one point I had used the logic that the new rules don't override the old unless explicitly stated, but I ended up convincing myself of the opposite for some reason. Thanks for clarifying!

Return to “News, Issues, Questions”