discussion - Middle-earth: Durin's Folk

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Middle-earth: Durin's Folk - Entire set as a wordfile

very similar to the Firstborn, using basically the same rules.

mfg Vastor
Last edited by Vastor Peredhil on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

The attachment is a new version, as of today

@edit: The attachment is a new version, as of today, nov 8th
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

This William's version, which is more tuned to FATE, only playtesting will show which changed are needed and which were to powerful

mfg Nicolai
Attachments
MEDF_02_dirhaval.doc
(180.5 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

Few remarks:

I wouldnt call Bilbo's Magic Ring a special item, but a Gold Ring item.

Great Miners: The bonus is small considered the cost to bring the 5 all into play, comparing it by example to Great Army of the North.

Balrog Durins Tower makes it easy to score a few Makers map, with a very easy way to get there.

Just my 2 cent.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Well thanks for participating in the discussions on dream-cards!
I wouldnt call Bilbo's Magic Ring a special item, but a Gold Ring item.
technically it could be changed into a Gold Ring Item, but then there is still the "Ring of Invisibility" to fullfil this role.

I like the idea to have the possibility for different approches to reach the goal of destroying the ring
#BILBO’S MAGIC RING (MEDF) - SPECIAL ITEM
[MP: 3; CP: 3; DI +3; P/B: +3 /+3]
Unique. Magic Ring. Manifestation of the One Ring. Playable if a gold ring is tested and the test indicates a Magic Ring item. May be used to satisfy the conditions of any manifestation of Gollum, Gollum’s Fate, or The Precious. +3 prowess (up to double the normal prowess), +3 body (up to 10). Bearer may make a corruption check modified by -1 to cancel a strike; this does not work against Undead and Nazgûl strikes. Every member of the bearer's company receives one corruption point. May be tested as a gold ring item. If the result is 6 or 7, nothing happens. If the result is 8 or greater, then The One Ring may be played. Discard if the result is less than 6.
#RING OF INVISIBILITY (MEDF) - GOLD RING ITEM
[MP:2; CP: 4]
Unique. Playable only at the Under-Grottos. Bearer may make a corruption check to cancel a non-Nazgûl, non -undead strike against himself. Discard this ring when tested. If tested, obtain a random value to determine which ring card may be immediately played: The One Ring (8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 12+), a Magic Ring (1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6, 7), a Lesser Ring (any result). This card is considered The One Ring for purposes of interpreting card text on any manifestation of Gollum.
as both cards are in this set, I believe they should stay different item types

Along with new hazards, like "Rings of Power" or "FAKE" from the other dreamcard expansion I believe enough counter to these two rings exist

mfg Nicolai
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

I just realized that there are no rules to actually play with this cards within the post so here they are (again thanks to Boderhamster for poiting this out)

mfg Nicolai
dirhaval

Arrggg! I already made a Thrain deck needing World Gnawed by the Nameless and Hidden Haven. :shock:
Oh well. I can see not having the minion resource WGN, but Hidden Haven unplayable?
Well, the Thrain Deck starts at that dwarf-hold by the Sea of Rhun. Then they play hidden haven on Buhr Widu, then Guarded Haven and then Deep Mines. They Gnawed Ways to the Sulfur-deeps to beneath Mordor to play items, sometimes using Dwarven Hoard. DR of Durin's Tribe is to untap the Sulfur-deeps and other sites. Then after he has items and dwarves in play, he heads to the Ugates to attack the Balrog.

If HH is unusable, then can he Rebuild the Town a Ruins in Southern Rhovanion + Mischief in a Mean Way + Guarded Haven?

The set-up under Rhovanion is to allow underdeeps movement from the dwarf-hold to the Under-gates.

I first had Thrain in Eriador doing the same thing except making an Arthedain Ruins into an Hidden Haven. So he can move from Blue MDH to the Iron-deeps without region movement. Yes, Dwarven Alchemist is there to play those technology items and easy transfer to low body dwarves. I adjust the deck to north of Mordor since it was crowded in Eriador with Cirdan and Elrond. No one else is by the Sea of Rhun anyway.

Please reply about Mischief in a Mean Way and verify Hidden Haven is not playable by our dwarves. Thanks.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Hi William,

well a near perfect saver in this card
Playable on a non-Dragon's lair Ruins & Lairs in a region adjacent to a mountain range; the site must normally be a Ruins and Lairs. This site becomes a Dwarf-hold (and one of your Lordhavens) and loses all automatic-attacks. Nothing is considered playable as written on the site card. (If one of your companies is at this site, all attacks against it are canceled. Other Fallen-wizards may not use this site as a Wizardhaven.) Discard this card when the site is discarded or returned to its location deck. It cannot be discarded otherwise.
Alternatively you may play this card on any Dwarf-hold to turn it into a Protected Lordhaven.
Also I am still fugiring out the Amon Lanc card, which will allow a dwarf-lord to settle (resettle) Dol Guldur and use it as a dwarf-hold.
If HH is unusable, then can he Rebuild the Town a Ruins in Southern Rhovanion + Mischief in a Mean Way + Guarded Haven?
the above is of course valid if you want to use that instead.

Mischief in a mean way, will be playable by dwarf-lords but not by elves.

mfg Nicolai
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Here is the newest rules file

mfg Nicolai
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The rules mention that hazards do not change an elf-lord's version of site -- I think you meant to say Dwarf-Lord's. Looks good, though.
Luitprand

Hi,

why you change the count of non-unique hero resource cards.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Hi all,

the change from 2 to 3 non-unique hero resources was introduced to give a Lords little more power when compared to other alignments.

Before this change, playing a normal hero wizard with strong elves or dwarves was preferable to playing an elf-lord or dwarf-lord

mfg Nicolai
marcos
Council Member

i dont like that change... plenty of hero resource has their minion counterpart... 5 risky blows or marvels told at deck is insane...
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

yeah but playing a ringdeck with only few testers or few correct rings also sucks, and probably bigger. There are so many strategies that need or benefit from 3 hero cards that have no minion counterpart....I often enough found myself wondering: "why on earth would I play a Lord, when the wizard does it easier and better?"

I don't think anyone would use 5 Risky's, or even marvels, and imho the difference between a 4 and 5 benefit is less significant than between a 3 or 2 restriction. Only real major concern I see is with stealth/concealment and smokes.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

new improveed DF set 1.1 version

enjoy, it also online on GCCG

Return to “News, Issues, Questions”