Updating Magic Set Editor (Completed!)

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

USMCgeek

Hello all!

I've recently updated Magic Set Editor as a custom fork for MECCG and included high resolution image export. I'm still working on it, as right now it is hard coded to export at 750x1050 and 300dpi.

The big hurdle at the moment is reworking the Set Templates and art for MECCG. It doesn't do any good to export a 300dpi version of a 72dpi template. I've already begun the work, and welcome any and all help!

I'm fixing up the errors with my Ubuntu Installer and will post the link for that soon. (Windows is coming, I just have some issues to work out with cross-compiling that using mingw at the moment.)

Update
Okie Dokie - It's all set and working on 64 bit Windows. You can download it below.

All the needed style files and fonts are in my repo at: https://github.com/usmcgeek/mer
*They are under \Resources\meccgseteditor_windows\
*You can find all the installer files there as well - no need for a separate download.

I only did the basic changes on this one. So it supports 300dpi exports for all image formats. I updated the icons and such to differentiate from normal Magic Set Editor - as they have stated they aren't interested in high-res support.

You can set this up in another folder on your machine - and still retain your normal Magic Set Editor with the original MECCG templates, and this one with the new Remastered stuff.

With that - I'm glad to say this is all done (FINALLY!)
Last edited by USMCgeek on Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kjeld

Very cool! I just sent you a PM with some info regarding the work I was doing on producing nicer templates.
USMCgeek

Thanks Kjeld!! I'm updating the templates, and started reworking all new templates for a "Remastered" set as well. Those files helped as I drew new templates in Photoshop. Here's the rough drafts I just jammed out. Still need lots of work and color corrections.....

There is tons of work to do still....but it's moving along. I just threw these together today so I'll get them properly tweaked and as close as possible
Last edited by USMCgeek on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
nico21000

Looks like it's promising. This stuff is still a rough draft, but I miss the 'vintage' grainy look from the original cards. In comparison, the project I'm actually working on (and which I will share the resources) looks more like a preservation/restoration of the original 1995/98 game.
Last edited by nico21000 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USMCgeek

More progress on resource....actual exoort for Meccg Set Editor using the "File - Export" menu option. 750x1050 at 300 dpi without any tricks or PS retouching:
Resource Event Example.png
Resource Event Example.png (795.69 KiB) Viewed 11517 times
USMCgeek

Character template v1. Need to do print and color correction for CMYK...hopefully this weekend.
Bilbo Character v1.png
Bilbo Character v1.png (717.74 KiB) Viewed 11495 times
Comparison view between MECCG Set Editor remaster template and current Magic Set Editor Template:
Comparison Character.png
Comparison Character.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 11495 times
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Wow, those look really nice! The comparison pic really magnifies the clarity differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USMCgeek

Thanks! I'm really excited to get the finished and release the linux and windows installer for MECCG Set Editor. Since it's a fork of Magic Set Editor, it supports all of the existing templates and set files as well! But full print quality exports without needing Photoshop or Gimp.

Wrapping up hazards and hero sites currently. Then I'll tackle the Wizards and move onto Minion cards. After that is FW/stage, then Balrog sites.

Last stage will be the Dreamcard templates.

I'll color correct them for Print before I release the template. Hoping to be done before Christmas and have everything available.
USMCgeek

The Hazard frame has got to be one of the most frustrating, due to the lack of clarity. I had to use some creative liberty on this one.....and it needs a ton of print color correction due to the amount of black in it.... but here's the rough:
Hazard Comparison.png
Hazard Comparison.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 11475 times
nico21000

USMCgeek wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:49 pm The Hazard frame has got to be one of the most frustrating [snap]
I wasn't planning to scan hazard cards so early, but I can scan a few ones in very good quality if you want some inspiration... Also, I can offer you the source of my Dutch Bilbo. It doesn't include all the required resource in order to remake every character, but I think it will be completed this week-end.

Edit : Correction. I can offer you an even better source material for hazards and hero characters. Let me know if you're interested.

Edit 2 : Looks like you used a decent quality illustration for your 'A Friend or Three' card. I also have a lot of illustrations in much better quality than what could be achieved by scanning cards. All collected over the net since years, and some scanned by me from other various sources (artbooks, calendars...)

Last edited by nico21000 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
USMCgeek

Thanks - that's ok. These are complete full redrawn templates without using any scanned assets. I'm actually working from physical cards for comparison - these images are just to show what's in GCC right now.

I already have AI Files of all the assets for icons and emblems. Just remaking the card frames themselves from scratch.

Edit: I actually have the physical cards under a big magnifying glass on my desk so I can check details, lol! It's quite a sight!
USMCgeek

Did a test run from the printers today, only very minor color corrections needed, so that's good news!

Few minor corrections needed to the card art import window and the linux installer package. Hoping to work out the bugs with the windows compiler shortly as well.
USMCgeek

I'm assuming the intent was a gold look. Here's a rough concept of the remastered frame (Compared to the existing frame)
Remastered vs Existing
Remastered vs Existing
DragonLordComparison.png (1.9 MiB) Viewed 11405 times
:
USMCgeek

Draft of the Dwarf-Lord Remastered Frame:
Dwarf-Lord (Remastered vs Existing)
Dwarf-Lord (Remastered vs Existing)
DwarfLordComparison.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 11403 times
Germanico

Love this!
Keep up the good work and keep us informed!

Thanks!

Return to “News, Issues, Questions”