DC Poll: which expansion is next?

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

Which expansion should be finished next?

Middle-earth: The Great Wyrms
27%
Middle-earth: Nine for Mortal Men
3%
Middle-earth: The Northern Waste
31%
Middle-earth: Return of the Shadow
31%
Middle-earth: Treason of Isengard
3%
Middle-earth: War of the Ring
5%
other (post below)
No votes

Total votes: 62
CDavis7M

If you are looking for an easy way to test out a few of the Return of the Shadow cards, here is a deck using both RotS Resources and Hazards.

mod: see here
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

CDavis7M wrote:
Say you take Cirdan to sea. Well, there really isn't too much to do in the NW besides get a couple factions...
Look More Closely Later! You can have your Sinda Elves experience Dreams of Beleriand, travel along the Elven Shores with the help of a Great Segull and the Merikoirat (seals), recover Círdan's armour Gaerennon, and find your way to Tol Morwen which alone remains of their sunken homeland, to stumble upon Anguirel the ancient sword of Thingol, stolen by his son Maeglin and brought to Gondolin.

Or, you can gaze into Hithailin, and hammer down your visions in the rocky slopes of Orod Certhas, rescue more Palantirí from the grinding ice at Kylmätalo, or Keep the Passage free by slaying Gondring and raiding his hoard.

Anyway, much of the enjoyment of gaming in The Northern Waste leans heavily on knowing the RPG material, in the book by the same title. There are 220 cards in the set right now, but you are correct, the area is quite vast ,and to have diversity in decks playable there for many different alignments, we will still have to flesh out more of this material.

One problem I got with releasing MENW would be to write a player guide. It will basically mimic much of what is written in the RPG book. Few enough people have that book, so it might be still worthwhile, though as digital copy it is easily obtained.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Yegor

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:07 am upon Anguirel the ancient sword of Thingol, stolen by his son Maeglin and brought to Gondolin.
You mean Eol, the Dark Elf, not Thingol, of course :wink:
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

@Yegor. Sure!
Though Maeglin would have liked Thingol as daddy much better, probably. Then he could have coveted Luthien rather than Idril. :wink:
Darksatin

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:07 am One problem I got with releasing MENW would be to write a player guide. It will basically mimic much of what is written in the RPG book. Few enough people have that book, so it might be still worthwhile, though as digital copy it is easily obtained.
You can find the MERP stuff here :
https://thetrove.net/Books/MERP%20-%20M ... 20Playing/

"The Northern Waste" is in "realms".
Yegor

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:18 am Though Maeglin would have liked Thingol as daddy much better, probably. Then he could have coveted Luthien rather than Idril. :wink:
Man, you're sick :shock: First pawns from the Rheingold game, and now this...

By the way, in the Book of Lost Tales Thingol (Tinwelint) did have a son - Dairon.
Darksatin wrote: You can find the MERP stuff here :
https://thetrove.net/Books/MERP%20-%20M ... 20Playing/
Thanks a lot Dominique. This is a real treasure trove.
CDavis7M

It took me a bit to find the Northern Wastes. Here is a direct link: https://thetrove.net/Books/MERP%20-%20M ... OCR%5D.pdf
Aragorn
Ex Council Member

Two votes of the Swiss part of the meccg community are for the Great Wyrms. Our second favorite would be Northern Waste then.
We gladly like to Support you with Play testing, and leaving Feedbacks.
Grishnakh

I voted for WR, 'cause I like to see finshed the Lord Style, so I'm waiting for the Atani Lords!
;) :D

Let's see

Dear Grushnakh / Heiko
Cheers,
Heiko / Grishnakh
Grishnakh

For me the printing of the Atani Lords would be my favorit.

But my second favorit are the Northern Waste Ed. to use all the new northly regions, sites, folks etc.
Also that edition has a good mix of hero and minion cards.

220 different cards are a good quantity for a DC edition nearly like FF and NE.

All the best,
Heiko / Grishnakh
Cheers,
Heiko / Grishnakh
WiseStrider

I'm not such a fan of the territorial expansions - I feel like there's still plenty of Tolkien's world to explore on the main map and by having too many am concerned about players spreading out too much rather than trying to influence characters / items away from each other (or outright fighting if the alignments are right).

I do like the idea of the Lord of the Rings sets (feels almost like they have scope to "finish" the story so to speak).

Saying that I voted for the one with the Dragon Lord's.
Similar to the Balrog - I just like the idea of a Lord type that plays differently to the existing options.

I find even if the set ends up adding little else of note learning to play as / against a new Lord type really extends the life of the game better than anything.
Darksatin

I think that Return of the Shadow, Treason of Isengard and War of the Ring must be edited in that order.
Therefore, the votes for Treason of Isengard and War of the Ring should be counted for Return of the Shadow...
CDavis7M

My F5 key is broken.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

After running the poll for 9 months, with nearly 50 votes as result, it appears the DC community is quite evenly divided in their preferences for a next DC set. The Northern Waste received 35% of votes, The Great Wyrms 27%, and the Trilogy sets (Return of the Shadow, Treason of Isengard, War of the Ring) 37%.

We have decided to start on finalizing ME: The Northern Waste (MENW). This is a territorial expansion of a highly RPG-based nature, which might not be to everyone's liking. But we hope and think there is enough interest to ensure a printing.

Primary focus is to create cards that are cool to play in a Northern Waste setting, i.e. both players playing a Northern Waste deck, rather than expanding the general DC Game. We're considering a specific icon on MENW cards, or a selection of the set, designating them for scenario use only. But we'll open a discussion on this topic.

Meanwhile, we can work on the Trilogy sets, gathering more feedback and experiences from DC games/ tournaments after the release of First Folk and The Necromancer. MENW would be an interlude set, so to speak.

MEGW still contains controversy regarding rules and balance, and needs most work to complete. Besides, MENW was most often mentioned as second favourite by the voters. Thus, in accordance with voter preference, and because MEGW would transform the game the most, we will focus on it after finishing the other sets.

Much is yet undecided, how exactly MENW will be fitted in the DC game, if there should be a player guide and/or new map (the ICE material for NW is simply superb, what can we really add?), how big the set should be, etc. We keep you posted.

the DC team
thenamelessthing

Any possibility to release card from previous expansions with game text corrected (errata or typo error)

And it is possible to adjust à little more game text contrast (Espescially when the card use little fonts size) sometime it's really hard to read! Our vision is not the same as it was 20 years ago!

Thanks you for your work!
My haves/wants are here: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 124&t=4397

Join Meccg discord server at: https://discord.gg/EFqBJmT

Join Meccg (Canada FR & EN) Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/meccgquebec

Return to “News, Issues, Questions”