Middle-earth: The Northern Waste

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

Should Middle-earth: The Northern Waste (MENW) be made fully compatible with standard DC gaming?

1) All MENW cards should be allowed in a DCGO format.
60%
2a) MENW sites should not be allowed in a DCGO format (but characters, resources and hazards should).
No votes
2b) MENW characters and sites should not be allowed in a DCGO format (but resources and hazards should).
2%
2c) MENW characters, sites and hazards should not be allowed in a DCGO format (but resources should).
No votes
3) Some MENW cards should be allowed in a DCGO format, others should not (the designers decide case by case).
29%
4) MENW cards should be reserved for scenario use only.
8%

Total votes: 48
tyhjaarpa

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:30 pm You mean, using Kanatrass instead of the Sindarin Canadras ?

Since his lair was indeed a former Lossidilrin palace, that could be appropriate, though again it would not match with the ICE map.

Using it for the hazard (and roused faction) would fit less well, but it's an option. Whether it's different enough to solve the confusion some people seem to be experiencing I don't know.
Yes, that's what I meant. Using it for the hazard would avoid the issue with the map as well.
Monkey drinks masters wine. Do you like drunken monkey?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

We will change the name of the site to Kanatrass, the Lossidilrin version.
It makes more sense for the site than for the creature, if the map is not fully compatible anymore, so be it.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
CDavis7M

Have any of you DC players played MERP? Is anyone interested in the pre-built adventures from the Northern Waste realm (module)? PM me.
dirhaval

Just found this topic. No vote from me for I provided little to the set and not played much online in years.

Considerations include the meta-game or player on player interaction of MECCG. The Balrog much destroyed that.
My feelings of Northern Waste is the remoteness and danger. Evermist is near a Coastal Sea, shadow-land,
and double wilderness with big drakes on the prowl.
If the NW player knows opponent will visit, then just hold a Ice-Drake in hand when that region is crossed
into the north.

How about adding a new gimmik to DCGO. That is territory. Since this idea is new, likely it is a bad idea.
Example: build decks, several decks. Then select style.

Styles:
Alignment
x Deck Game
Territory

Territory will be where your game will be where you opponent can hurt you.
Example: West includes decks in Eriador and in NW by Forochel
Mirkwood would be decks in Wilderland and near Lhugdalf and Mordor
for an opponent to use Master of Esgaroth to surprise opponent.
Eriador and Mordor cannot be more farther apart.

What I think is diminishing MENW is the lack of MEGW now.
Players can agree to play a Northern Waste game.
WIth MEGW available, the problem is that if you know
your opponent is in the Northern Waste, then you will just
be by Forochel and load your sideboard with Dragon events.

Maybe get to know opponent if opponent is comfortable
with MENW first, then use MENW deck if acceptable.
Playing against the Balrog without playing it myself was tough.

The remoteness of MENW is enough balance for its danger
such that the hazard events moving into Eriador/Wilderland
will cause those players trouble.
Tsagoi

Hi,

Thanks to Ludovic, I now recovered my ME: The Northern Waste set and the two player guides. I wanted to send a huge huge thanks to Eric and Nicolai and to express all my admiration.

That's just incredible what you keep doing with the Dream Cards. Knowing what's next full me with joy :-D

Cheers,

Matthieu
meaglyn

Wait... are these cards out now? So we should be expecting packages! We likes packagess, preciousss!

Return to “News, Issues, Questions”