Spring of Arda + Twilight

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

Muzgash

Spring of Arda
... Whenever a hero environment resource or spell is played, one token is added to one copy of Spring of Arda in play (resource player’s choice).
I just wanted to confirm that Twilight played as a resource will not add a token to Spring of Arda, because

1) Twilight is played as resource, but it is not actually a resource.
2) Twilight is not a hero card.

Thanks!
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Hmm, I didn't answer because I wasn't sure. And I still am not sure :lol:

That's to say, I agree with both your statements, and we do not want Twilight to add a token to Spring of Arda.

However, Twilight is not a resource, but it can be played as one.
And Spring of Arda currently states: "when a hero resource is played..."
So one might assume that when a hero player plays Twilight during his turn he is playing a hero resource.

It's all rather semantic, what's the point of making Twilight played as resource, since it already states it can be played at any time during any turn? You can counter it with Many Sorrows Befall?

Anyway, to avoid confusion I might add to Spring of Arda "(except Twilight)".
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Muzgash

Thanks for confirming how these cards are intended to interact.

It never occurred to me that you could play Twilight as a hazard during your own turn, but I don't see why not as it is written. It may have been ICE's intent that when you play it on your own turn you're playing it as a resource, but that's not how it's worded.
So one might assume that when a hero player plays Twilight during his turn he is playing a hero resource.
Not sure here. There are other cases when you can play a card that is not your alignment and it's not considered to be your alignment (e.g. Aiglos in a minion deck). I guess the question is, is it possible for a resource to have no alignment. If so, a hero player playing twilight might just be playing an unaligned resource.

It's also possible for a hero player to play minion spells, but I'm guessing a token is not added to Spring of Arda when that happens.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

The rules specifically state you can play hero items as a minion, that does mean they alter their alignment type.

But Twilight is not a resource, so it does not (need to) alter alignment/type. Perhaps it just assumes one at the moment of playing (as resource), depending on the player. I've never heard of a resource having a neutral alignment or no type, that would be a first. Not sure that path is wise.

One can technically play Blind to the West/Ire of the East during one's own turn, as a hazard I assume. Of course, it is played in response to opponent playing a resource short-event, so that would only happen outside his turn during CvCC (or perhaps an influence attempt).
Why they went this route I don't know, I guess playing it outside M/H phase already destroyed the core concept of hazards, thus they could destroy it some more.

Since these (Blind/Ire) do not change type, why should Twilight? Well, because it says so on the card, it's played as a resource. If not during your own turn, then when? The whole distinction resource/hazard is moot if it does not coincide with your/opponent's turn.

btw. minions have 0 spells, as far as I am aware. They have magic, but no spells.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.

Return to “News, Issues, Questions”