Question about the wizard in the ARDA rule set

jorrit

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the ARDA rules and I have one question. It is not explained what you should do with your wizard cards. Are the wizards cards included with the roving character deck? Or where else are they?

Edit: I actually have a few more questions now and I'm just going to add them to this post:

On page 3 it says you can bring characters in play at their home site. What about bringing them in play at a haven? Is that allowed?

In page 4 it says that you can freely trade resources from both your play and MP hands. But it also says you cannot do that with hazards. But what if your trade results in getting a hazard? I.e. you trade a normal resource from your play hand but you end up getting a hazard. Is that ok? And if not, how do you prevent picking a hazard?

Greetings and thanks,
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Hi jorrit,
jorrit wrote:It is not explained what you should do with your wizard cards. Are the wizards cards included with the roving character deck? Or where else are they?
Each player picks one of the wizards to start with before the game begins. You start the game with that wizard.
jorrit wrote:On page 3 it says you can bring characters in play at their home site. What about bringing them in play at a haven? Is that allowed?

Normal rules for playing characters still apply.
jorrit wrote:In page 4 it says that you can freely trade resources from both your play and MP hands. But it also says you cannot do that with hazards. But what if your trade results in getting a hazard? I.e. you trade a normal resource from your play hand but you end up getting a hazard. Is that ok? And if not, how do you prevent picking a hazard?
You may only trade resources for other resources.
jorrit

Shapeshifter wrote:Hi jorrit,
jorrit wrote:It is not explained what you should do with your wizard cards. Are the wizards cards included with the roving character deck? Or where else are they?
Each player picks one of the wizards to start with before the game begins. You start the game with that wizard.

Yes, but where does the actual wizard card go? Does it go to the roving character deck?
You may only trade resources for other resources.
Yes, but what do you do if you pick a hazard? Do you just put it back in the stack?

Greetings,
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

The wizard you picked starts play in your starting company, it never goes to the roving character pile. So you start your game with the normal 20 GI characters PLUS your wizard.

Ah, now I seem to understand your problem. If you trade resources (either from your MP-hand or from your resource-hand) you only trade with other players (you trade only with those players who don't take their turn). You never trade/exchange cards with the common play deck.
Example: "Is anybody interested in The Arkenstone? Yes? Ok, what do you want to trade for it?" "A Noble Hound." "No, that's not good enough." "Ok I give you a Noble Hound and a And Forth He Hastened." "Ok, that's a deal, let's trade."

Hope this helps.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Shapeshifter said it all, with the small correction: cards may only be traded with fellow players on a one-on-one basis. Otherwise you could easily trade to draw extra cards or to discard them.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.

Return to “Arda”