Worlds 2010 - Game reports

MECCG World Championship discussion forum.
marcos
Council Member

Round 1 against Matias:
Matias played one of my decks because he didn't have one. Unfortunately, my only hero deck was my "fun" deck. It used Dwarves playing maps of mithril in Leaflock's area, as well some steeds and the bigger points were Durin's Axe and Arkenstone, . Of course it weak point is corruption, hazards were corruption which didn't work well against minion. i was playing a great army deck with lidless eye, i decided to change the hazards i was running in the last minute because i wasnt sure about morgul night/ foul fumes and took a grab bag hazard with unabated, tidings and such. Not much of a big problem in this game, opponent forgot to sb in his faction so i doubled them for an easy 6-0

Round 2 against Heiner:
Bah... The game we wanted to play in the final round just in game 2!!! That pairing too early was a bit dissapointing, anyways i think we all knew that the winner of that game was going to be the champion. Heiner played a balrog deck around rohan, with maps, some major items, warg king, etc. I played a faithless steward deck. Match was very tight, i got aiglos before him, we both stopped each other pretty well, i was lucky that Fori with fathless steward survived 3 bcs and Heiner was lucky that all his guys survived 2 (or even more, i cant remember) veils flung away except for just 1 hill troll. I missed Orcs of Gundabad with a Lieutenant, needed just a 5 and rolled snake eyes, by that moment neither me nor heiner had factions, and he didnt have an ally. When we reached the time limit, all my stewards were at their home site but i wasn't able to play anything because most of them were tapped, in the end i was in the lead 26-20 and all i needed to do is tap Umagaur at moria to prevent the faction. I gave my dices to my girlfriend to roll for heedless, maybe she was a little bit luckier than me, but she rolled snakes eyes as well D'oh! Bolg with map and an Ill-favoured Fellow with map survived their last movement when i played veil flungs away one more time, balrog wanted to move upstairs from underleas to gundabad but heiner didnt realized that baduila was already in play so they bounced. In the end he played orcs of moria with umagaur + foe dismayed, my only hope was a 2 or 3 on the dices which didn't happened. Buthrakaur played blackbole. In the council i revealed high helm for -1, so the game ended 27-26. I thought at that time, ok that's it.

Round 3 against Emanuel:
I thought it was going to be a hard game, but things were good since the begginig. He played a deck around Harondor with a last run to minas tirith or something like that. I killed Strider and Arwen on turn 2 and kept tapping his characters with Assassins/corsairs/sellswords. So no Return of the king, no Choice of Luthien, no Army of the dead. I called lots of points ahead of him, on his turn he tried to realize if he could do a 4-2 and since it was impossible because sappling of the white tree was too far away from minas tirith, he just conceded. 6-0 for me. After that i got really surprised because Marco was defeating Heiner and chances were good that i could come back from last game's defeat. Unfortunately, Marco was overloaded on corruption and lost Cirdan in the council.

Round 4 against Marco:
Marco played a hobbits in dragon country deck. Good thing that i changed my hazards in the last minute, on turn 1 he moved to thranduil's halls for the faction which he missed. Then i had nothing to play so i just moved there and do cvcc, unfortunately i couldn't kill anyone. On his second turn he wanted to go to the haven but skin changers sent the hobbits back home. I took advantage of that situation and did another cvcc, and nobody got killed. After that i started to play resources quite safe, great army factions and such, the usual thing. He was denied from items because every time he wanted to move to a dragon lair i had unabated + tidings. On a desperate attempt Marco played wizard's voice and glorfindel, and moved to edhelond to go later to the stones. I think he got rivered the turn he moved to the stones, and the turn later a cave drake tapped his wizard, but glorfindel and cirdan were still untapped. When he entered the site he made a big mistake by tapping glorfindel against the auto, and trying to go through untapped with Cirdan. Cirdan failed and died, so no items for him on a hobbits deck, really crazy, -3 from the elf''s death and 6-0 for me. My only hope was that Emanuel could steal at least 1 point from Heiner, but he got crushed making Heiner Champion for the second time.

It was a pitty that i couldn't make it because for ARG players its too hard to make it to international championships, and i was really excited about this chance. Anyways i am glad with the way i played, i didn't make much mistakes and in the end, dices screwed me. Still i ended with the same TPs as Heiner and all of my games were 6-0 against good opponents like Marco and Emanuel. I definetly need to start saving money for another WC or Lure, or find a sponsor :P

Maybe i win online championship instead? who knows...
Smaug

Hi guys,

I just wrote long report about my time in Cordoba and just before I submitted my laptop thought it would be nice to shut down :-(. 1 hour wasted!!!

So a kind of summary know because I need to go soon.

First sorry that the report is so late, I found no time during my 4 weeks travel through south america.

I had a very nice time at Cordoba, Marcos and Silvana are wonderful people who made my stay perfect. I enjoyed every single minute if it was the daily night "drinking" games with marcos and his friends or the "hand and feed" talk with Silvana during the day when marcos was working. Sometime she needed to phone him for translation or he translated when we sit together for dinner and/or drink. Many thanks to them once more. Last evening we had a very nive dinner at a grill restaurant with a lot of meat, in Argentina it is really true if you say "Meat is my vegetable :D ".

Game report of the worlds on Saturday.

Round 1:

Not much to say about that game. I played a little experienced player from Buenos Aires, killing all his charcters for a high 6-0 victory.

Round 2 against Marcos:

We both hoped not to play so early against each other but that is life :lol: . We both few our deck quite good so we stopped each other quite good. Things developed not to good for me, I missed 2 attempts on orks of moria and few recruits and got tapped by veils flung away (only hill troll was discarded but on the big guys only a 10 really hurt (8% chance to roll a 10 so you make it in average only 1 time out of 12!). Even worse was I did not manage to kill Fori in 3 attempts haveing on body 7/6 wounded. As well Marcos played aiglos before me and managed to play my precious before i could play stinker :( . Even more hurted great shadow and the 3 dark trys did not show up for a long time, that hindered me to set up an early 3 company and slowed my deck seriously :( . On the other side Marcos in his last turn missed the orcs of gundabad needind a 5, which gave him only a 6 point lead befor emy last turn. That was the reason I decided to play my last turn defensive, because buthrakaur and umagaur where already in position for getting 8 points (2x3 for orks of moria, having at least +7 on the influnce attempt because of voices and 1 foe dismayed in hand, Buthrakaur blackbeart, supported by one whctc if needed). So I decided not to go to the wind deeps with the balrog company to play an major item but to mount gundabad, hoping marcos would not know or forget that baduila is a llowed to move there even the side card is in use by one of his companies. Unfortunately he did not forget :lol: . Moving bolg to a major item side would have meant to face potentionally saruman again, I did not want to risk that as well. At the end I was right with my decision but may be a bit more risk would have be more senseful, you never know.
So Umgaur started, and Marcos played the only for me risky card unabbated. 16,67% chance to save the game for him. Statistics where clearly on my side, but you never know... He let his girl friend roll, snake eyes ... Than he rolled for fun by himself 11 !!!!! ...You never should give important things to do to women ;-) ... that was more or less my victory if I maange to roll a 4 for the influnence attempt :-). He had a last chance 8% viles chance on bolg, and made again an 11 for tapping if I remember right (at least he was tapped after m/h). Buthratkaur was unharmed so the influnence attempt decided the game, i rolled a 7 or 8, did not remember, and that was the 28-26 victory. -1 for high helm so 27-26. It was a very tied game, me beeing a bit lucky to win but Marcos would have been may be even a bit more lucky if he would have won, may be my point of few is not 100 % objective :lol: . Anyway a good game on both sides, a battle of champions!!! Now on the one hand I was quite optimistic to win the title again, but on the other hand I was a bit affraid because of the well designed hazards I faced (was more or less sure Marcos gave some deck building tips to his friends how to play a against my deck :lol: ).

Round 3 against Marco:

Marco played Alfons WC 2008 finals deck with 4 hobbits. A very good deck and even better because i decided to play heavy corupption against heros to stop that popular short rest eriador decks i feared most before the WC starts. Against hobbits this type of hazard deck is much weaker than my normal hazard deck I play :-(. So I had to concentrate my corrupting manly on Pallando and Cirdan, and stop the hobbits with rivers, cave drakes and assasins as good i could).
Stopping the hobbits was not too successful, just slowed them a bit and on Pallondo and Cirdan i was not to successful as well because balance of things did not showed up entire game. So Pallondo only had to face 2 -4 ccs end of untap phase that be survived (16,67 % chance, not to scary). Than I realized balance was in the sideboard by mistake (:-(). When we started our game there was big confusion because I mixed the mionion hazards in the deck. In the deviding process must happened this fatal mistake eliminating my zentral hazard from the deck!!!! So balance was only in the game on the last turn but Marco got rid of it with some luck with the ccs (2 times against a 4 and one time a cc against a 5 if i rember right). On my side I faced the same hard hazard which gave Marco a 2 point lead at the council but cirdan needing a 5 (6?) and pallando a 3 (4?). Cirdan made a 3 and was eliminated giving me a 4 point victory. In this game was really a bit lucky, but of course it was mainly because of the missing balance in the hazard deck that I had so big problems to win (once morre this view may be not 100% objective :lol: ).

Round 4 against Emanuel:

So I needed a 6-0 in the last round to become champion again. That would be tough but live is like that.
Emanuel played a strider/aragorn white tree/return of the king deck. Remembers me on a deck Manuel played in EC finals in Madrid. Not to easy to win against that type of deck 6-0, espacially because it plays not many items and has only 1 company and I was sure I would face similar strong hazards again.

Game started and Emanuel got stuck at the stone strider wounded, beretar killed and the rest tapped. On my turn he managed to didscard buthrakaur with veils flung but i still played high helm, the warg king and stinker (?).
So good start. In the next turn I continued gathering points quickly, but would it be enough to win 6-0 ? Marcos game seems to end 6-0 so I needed a 6-0!!!
In turn 2 E. managed to play the sappling but because of the wounded characters, corruption problems and because of joining alatar he went to edellhond in turn 3. One more reason was he had Fellowship ready to play in hand. I was highly in the leasd with points, i already played the orks of m. and some makers map but would it be enough???
So in turn 4 he moves his entire fellowship company to the southern oasis and I needed to do something. If he plays southerners and 1 or 2 noble steeds 6-0 victory would be in real danger. One assasin did the job to get rid of the fellowsip (killing analena?). The reat was "easy" :lol: . Lure of nature on Alator (who had already lure of senses on him) and alone and unadvised on aragorn/strider (who had as well already lure of senses on him). Than a balance of things on the top of the corruption cake an lets see what happens. Alatar and Aragorn both corruppted and GAME OVER!!!
The ring was mine again, I must admit with some luck, but in my eyes with earned luck!

Finally many thanks to Marcos, Silvana and their friends agin. You gave me a wonderful time in Argentina and I feel a bit guilty to carry the Ring out of your country as reward for that :lol: .

Hope to see you in germany, my door will be always open for you!

Cheers

Heiner
marcos
Council Member

I just wrote long report about my time in Cordoba and just before I submitted my laptop thought it would be nice to shut down . 1 hour wasted!!!
damn! such a pitty!
Finally many thanks to Marcos, Silvana and their friends agin. You gave me a wonderful time in Argentina and I feel a bit guilty to carry the Ring out of your country as reward for that .

Hope to see you in germany, my door will be always open for you!
You are always welcome to come back again as well! I really plan to go there for lure XII, i got one entire year for saving money and finding cheap tickets, so we will see :)

Regarding the ring... be carefull we might ssssssteal it while you sssssleep, yesssss, my preciousssss :twisted:
Smaug

Hi Marcos,

that would be wonderful if you would come to lure. Plan in some more days to visit me in cologne :D

Cheers

Heiner

Return to “Worlds”