Details on the upcoming Worlds 2008!

MECCG World Championship discussion forum.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Outpost Antwerp
Beggaardenstraat 6
2000 Antwerpen
03 2315456

Schedule:

During weekdays outpost only opens at 11, so no morning events - but evening events can last until 4 o'clock.

24-27th, depending on amount of players

More than 32

24th:
afternoon ARDA deck; GenOpp One-deck
evening: challenge deck tourney, hero draft
25th:
afternoon : qualifier for Saturday, Virtual Card GenOpponent Constructed, sealed
evening: qualifier for saturday (either continued, or second one), Constructed Dreamcards; ARDA deck;
night: Electro/industrial party for those who wish to attend :P
26th:
morn + afternoon: qualifier for finals
evening / Drinking Game WC
27th:
afternoon: finals (with 4) ; country Cup (TEAM Hero constructed ; Mixed language sealed

OR (with fewer than 32 players)

24th:
afternoon ARDA deck; GenOpp One-deck
evening: challenge deck tourney, hero draft
25th:
afternoon : Virtual Card GenOpponent Constructed, minion sealed
evening: Constructed Dreamcards; ARDA deck;
night: Electro/industrial party for those who wish to attend :P
26th:
morn + afternoon: qualifier for finals
evening / Drinking Game WC
27th:
afternoon: finals (with 4) ; country Cup (TEAM Hero constructed ; Mixed language sealed
http://www.alfanos.org
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

Question: what is ARDA?
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

[edited]

Here is the most up-to-date version of the Arda rules:

Middle-earth “Arda” Shared-deck
(A MECCG Game for using one shared play deck between two or more players)
Rules 2.5
Created by Joe Bisz

First, you must design one MP deck, Play deck, and Roving Character deck. Pick from different rarities of cards and only pick cards that would seem potentially useful (and exciting!) in a game, no more than 2 or 3 of each, use differing artwork when possible. Remember that people like looking at the beautiful artwork and interpretations too. A map and a full site deck is necessary. Ideally the site deck should be arranged in 9-pocket sheets by site type or area of map so that the new player can EASILY look at and choose sites to go to. I would STRONGLY recommend using the “optional” rules below for where you can play items if playing with new players—this greatly simplifies one of the most time-consuming aspects of the game for new players (if you don’t use the rules you’ll regret it!). The Wizard errata helps encourage more exploring of particular card themes.

Game Setup
- One shared “MP deck” (non-character cards worth Marshalling Points) that you never draw from unless resolving your MP hand.
- One shared “Play deck” (resources and hazards) that you do draw from.
- One shared “Roving Character deck.”
- One shared “Minor Item deck.”
- Playing with more than 5 players is not recommended (unless you use “Simultaneous Active Turns”; see below) since there will be too much time between your active turns. One player might also choose to play a minion challenge deck and sit between the players and interact with them normally. Non-active players should plan out the sites they will travel to before it is their turn.
- START OF GAME: Each player draws 5 cards from the MP deck and 8 cards from the Play deck, then picks their Wizard. Next, players draft from individual random pools of 10 characters (from the Roving Character Deck) and 4 minor items (from the Minor Item deck). Start the game with your Wizard in play at Rivendell.

Game Rules
- During the organization phase, turn one “Roving Character” face-up. He may be brought into play by any player as if in hand. When there are as many Roving Characters face-up as there are players, discard the earliest revealed character at the end of the current organization phase.
- Company limit of 3.
- Unless it’s your turn, you may “free trade” an equal amount of resource or MP cards with a player.
- If enough players are present (more than 4), you may designate two simultaneous active players to speed up resource play.
- At a Dragon’s Lair site, you may play any item playable at the site instead of the ‘free’ minor item.
- Mechanics that affect “hands,” including the end-of-turn discard, may affect either the Play hand OR the MP hand. Resolving hand size affects both. The maximum Play hand size is 8, and the maximum MP hand size is 5.
- Standard Multiplayer Rules: Roll dice to see which player begins his turn as the active (resource) player. After his turn, the new active player is the person sitting clockwise to him. The only hazard player that draws cards is the one sitting clockwise of the moving player. When this hazard player is finished playing as many hazards as he likes, he may “pass” (this reduces the hazard limit by one) to the next inactive player sitting counterclockwise, who becomes the new hazard player and may resume playing hazards, until he “passes,” etc. until there are no hazards left or all hazard players pass consecutively. Permanent-events, long-events, and all other “global” events affect all players. All players may discard one card during any player’s end-of-turn phase. If you have 20 MPs you may call the Council without exhausting the shared-deck. Each other player gets one more turn. The doubling of your MP based on a MP type only applies if none of your opponents has a card in play of that type.

Card Errata
- Gandalf: May tap to test a ring; you may roll twice and add 2 to roll. +1 to corruption checks (+3 if from his spell).
- Saruman: May tap to take a spell from the discard pile. In his company: Any character may use a Palantir, and each Palantir may be untapped once per turn.
- Alatar: May draw 1 additional card for each Coastal Sea or Dark-domain in his site path. If a hazard creature is played on another of your companies, may “teleport” at any time to join that company and face 1 strike.
- Pallando: +1 to your hand size. During your organization phase, opponent must reveal two hazards from hand (or else whole hand).

Optional Rules
(These rules are well-suited for introducing new players to the game, since it eliminates the need to study many sites at once to determine item playability. Trust me, new players HATE this!)
- Greater items: are playable at Shadow-holds (except Goblin Gate) or Dark-holds; or a Dragon’s Lair in Withered Heath.
- Major items: are playable at Shadow-holds, Dark-holds, or Ruins & Lairs (but not in Rhudaur or Arthedain).
- Information events: are playable at Ruins & Lairs and Minas Tirith.
- Gold Rings: are playable at Dragon’s Lairs; or Ruins & Lairs that are in Anduin Vales, Brown Lands or a Coastal Seas region. Also playable at Goblin Gate.

Optional: Simultaneous Active Turns
Active players must always be separated from each other by two hazard players, unless one player is ‘Hiding’ for that turn (doing nothing). This is so that a given hazard player does not need to be playing hazards on TWO active players at the same time. It’s not necessarily less interactive, even though players will only ever interact with the 2 players adjacent to him (left and right), because normally an inactive player will not get a chance to play many hazards anyway.

Playing simultaneous turns with 4 people is perhaps not recommended for Shared-deck because in order to avoid a hazard player having to play hazards on 2 resource players at once, you would have to assign only ONE hazard player, which means the assortment of hazards thrown at a resource player would be possibly pretty weak.

With 6 people, create 2 simultaneous active turns at once (so the two current resource players will always be separated by 2 hazard players). *Using this method, a given player would get TWO resource turns for every round of 6 turns (as opposed to ONE resource turn for every round of 6 turns).

With 5 people, create 2 simultaneous active turns plus a ‘Hiding from Sauron’ player who takes no actions for the current turn. The Hiding Player alternates each turn. Be sure to start the game with the Hiding Player positioned next to a Resource Player, so next turn the old Resource Player will become the new Hiding Player (this prevents a player from going 2 turns without getting to move his companies). There will still always be two hazard players flanking a resource player as long as you remember to skip over the Hiding Player when determining which hazard player is “adjacent.” Although it might seem like the Hiding Player is losing out on a whole turn of player, in actuality he is only missing out on a turn as the hazard player, and since often inactive players at the end of the line of “passes” don’t have much to do anyway, the benefits of two resource simultaneous turns would seem to outweigh this negative (if its even a negative—some players would see it as a ‘breather’!) *Using this method, a given player would get TWO resource turns for every round of 5 turns (as opposed to ONE resource turn for every round of 5 turns).
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Also as I believe it should pre-contructed (so my challenge-decks) for the dream cards events as "contructed" would imply that people acctually build their own decks.

Well maybe you had that in mind, I was just wondering

mfg Nico
Qapla

I have made some decks with Nico's dreamcards. I am testing right now and soon I will be able to post some of them.
I intend to bring players with those decks as well.
HeglumeH QaQ jajvam
Darksatin

zarathustra wrote: 26th evening / Drinking Game WC
Nothing else on Saturday evening for non-alcoholic players ? :P
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Due to unforeseen circumstances, Kris will no longer be able to run Worlds 2008. However, the World Championships will still take place in Antwerp as planned!

Please visit this website for more details: http://www.councilofelrond.org/worlds2008/
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

We have a new website because the old server crashed:
http://www.councilofelrond.org/worlds2008/
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Hi all,

after looking into the shedule in detail I wonder if we could not switch the times for the virtual and and the dream card event,

Normally dream cards get put to the back of events when everyone is drunk & tired, so I wonder how people would like to switch virtual for dream cards as dream card is more complicated game we might want to consider this.

Or we could have the dream card event parallel to the Arda event,
it just depend on who would want to play in what events,

Also as I bring several DC decks for other players the dream card event might be the biggest event after the offical events, so I wonder if you guys checked that before hand.

mfg Nicolai
Leon

Do you have an indication of what the various sealed tournaments will cost each? That way I can plan a bit more what I want to participate in.

Also, I havent seen an email from the dutch council yet. Please try to contact dutch players that dont read these forum, they can easily travel to Antwerp.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I agree with Nico, I think the rounds of DCGO and Virtuals GO are pretty exhausting and therefore the fun track isn't really balanced thursday/friday, since thursday there's only Arda and nothing in the evening. I would certainly like to play Arda, so planning DCGO opposing Arda is no good, but since Arda is more of a developing format and not really a tourney, maybe DCGO can be held from late afterternoon onwards when Arda second game starts. Or am I assuming stuff about Arda here that's incorrect? I suppose that Arda is more of a casual relaxing game since it doesn't involve deck handling in any way.

Second Arda game can maybe be played on friday evening then? (when sealed Arda is planned also).

It would be nice to have 4 rounds of DCGO (if enough people attend of course)

Anyway people, make your preferences known to the organizers!
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Leon

I would also like to see the dreamcard and virtual tournaments on two separate days and participate in both events. Preferably both in the afternoon, since I like something less demanding in the evenings.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Leon wrote:Do you have an indication of what the various sealed tournaments will cost each? That way I can plan a bit more what I want to participate in.
prices for sealed events will be similar to Lure sealed tourneys. definately not higher, maybe cheaper.

personally i welcome of the time for the DCGO is changed. i would like to be able to play the minion sealed as well.
but, will there be that many players on thursday already?
Leon

I have not been at the Lure, can you give me approximate numbers?
Darksatin

Leon wrote:I would also like to see the dreamcard and virtual tournaments on two separate days and participate in both events. Preferably both in the afternoon, since I like something less demanding in the evenings.
Don't forget that we are not far from more than 32 players. So, Qualifiers could occur on Friday afternoon. On Saturday afternoon, it's the main event. I don't think that many players will be there already on Thursday.
So, it's better if the Dreamcard and the Virtual tournaments are on Friday and Saturday evening...

Return to “Worlds”