Add/Edit - Cool Play Scenario - Discussion

zirilan

Here follows a summery of the discussion started in the now closed Lure of MECCG Forum.
Some scenarios need to be adjusted and balanced to each other.
I would rate some of the scenarios a bit different. I put them in an order from easy to hard. Additionally I made some new suggestions for the tournament points certain scenarios should give. I also tried to put into account how much effort one would spend to fulfill the scenario, e.g. number of resources or number of turns.

1) Pallando the Easterling (1) - very easy scenario: 10 points
2) Radagast the Fool (1) - very easy scenario: 10 points
3) Gondor Has no King, Gondor Needs no King (1) - very easy scenario: 10 points
4) Alatar on the Hunt (1) - easy scenario: 8 points
5) Balin, Son of Fundin, Lord of Moria (1) - easy scenario: 8 points
6) Saruman Chastened (2) - normal scenario: 7 points
7) Everlasting Friendship (2) - normal scenario: 6 points
8) Guzzler under the Mountain (2) - normal scenario: 6 points
9) Neither Resting nor Rosting (2) - normal scenario: 6 points
10) Samwise the Strong (2) - normal scenario: 6 points
11) Gandalf the Doltish (2) - normal scenario: 5 points
12) Drinking Power in Middle-earth (2) - normal scenario: 5 points
13) The Elven Warriorprincess (3) - very hard scenario: 4 points
14) Over the Top of the World (3) - normal scenario: 4 points
15) Womenpower (3) - very hard scenario: 3 points
16) Glorfindel's Fame (4) - hard scenario: 1 point

I think the Glorfindel scenario is extremely hard. Because you are very likely supposed to play Out of the Black Sky, this means you must play Doors of Night. OotBS chooses defending characters. This means again that Glorfindel must either travel alone or you play cards like More Senses than You or Cloudless Day (in addition with Crown of Flowers). If you travel alone, Deadly Dart or Black Arrow is not really an option for reducing the Nazgûls bodies. Unfortunately Old Thrush doesn't work against Nazgûl. In any case you would like to play Aiglos (reduces strikes body by -2) in order to have a slight chance to kill a Nazgûl. All in all if you manage to overcome these obstacles you would still need to roll 3 times very high (usually about 8 or 9) to defeat a Nazgûl. This is why I think the scenario is worth 4 TP.
This is a really tough scenario. We should reduce the amount of Nazgûls that have to be slain from three down to two.
Also we need to reword the rule, that you have to play at least one creature on a moveing company as creature not as permanent-event. That way you will more likely run into Nazgûls without Out of the Black Sky and will be rewarded with the Marshalling Points of the kill.
3 Cool Play Tournament Points would fit for the scenario if the named rule/scenario adjustments are made.
Taurelin

Is it possible to suggest new Cool Play scenarios? If so, I would like to present an idea:

"Marvels of the Northern World"
"Strange are the ways of Men, Legolas! Here they have one of the marvels of the Northern World, and what do they say of it? Caves, they say! Caves! Holes to fly to in time of war, to store fodder in! My good Legolas, do you know that the caverns of Helm's Deep are vast and beautiful? There would be an endless pilgrimage of Dwarves, merely to gaze at them, if such things were known to be. ... And lights, Legolas! We should make lights, such lamps as once shone in Khazad-dum; and when we wished we would drive away the night that has lain there since the hills were made; and when we desired rest, we would let the night return."
Requirements:
Gimli and Legolas Rebuild the Town at the Glittering Caves. Additionally, at the end of the game there are at least 5 dwarves and 3 Dwarven Lamps there.

This scenario could be extended to "A bargain between friends", i.e. Gimli and Legolas visit Fangorn and play an Ent resource there.

What do you think?
"My sky is darker than thine!"
SENTENCED - 1993
zirilan

Sounds like a NEW scenario.
Next LURE it will be available to be played.

Many thanks for your input and keep ideas coming.
Taurelin

You want it, you get it (I really enjoy doing this :D ). Here is another idea:

"Wizard's Pupil"
"See, you have spoken skilfully as ever; but I, have I not seen your eye fixed on Mithrandir, seeking whether you said well or too much? He has long had your heart in his keeping. ... Boromir was loyal to me and no wizard's pupil."
Requirements:
Faramir, under the wizard's dircect influence, is a sage and performs at least 3 rituals or light enchantments during the game.
SENTENCED - 1993
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

i like this one! finally some use for cards, that never see the light of play.
what about a small addition like: faramir may never leave the direct influence of the wiz (except when forced by some hazard card).
domse
Ex Council Member

thorondor wrote: finally some use for cards, that never see the light of play.
Unfortunately, Marvels Told is a ritual....
Taurelin

Well, to make Faramir a sage in the first place, you have to use Magic Ring of Lore or Gift of Comprehension. I think these qualify as cards that never see play. :D

Maybe one could change the requirement to "plays Dreams of Lore", but performing a ritual sounds much cooler to me, even though it is "merely" Marvels Told.
SENTENCED - 1993
zirilan

Taurelin wrote:Requirements:
Faramir, under the wizard's dircect influence, is a sage and performs at least 3 rituals or light enchantments during the game.
It rather should be: ... is a sage and preforms at least 3 different rituals or light enchantments during the game ...
Taurelin

zirilan wrote:
Taurelin wrote:Requirements:
It rather should be: ... is a sage and preforms at least 3 different rituals or light enchantments during the game ...
Excellent! :D
SENTENCED - 1993
zirilan

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-[NEW SCENARIOS]-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

H17) Marvels of the Northern World (2)
Gimli and Legolas Rebuild the Town at the Glittering Caves.
Additionally, at the end of the game there are at least five
Dwarves and three Dwarven Lamps as well as at least one
Ent Ally there.

H18) Return of the Tyrant (2)
Aragorn II plays the Iron Crown in Barad-dûr and influences
successfully the Haradrim, the Nûrniags and the Wain-
eastlings.

H19) The Wizard`s pupil (1)
Faramir, under the Wizard`s direct influence, is a sage and
performs at least three different rituals or light
enchantments during the game.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

about H18, it's a nice scenario, but do some math on how many turns it will take you, if you need 3 unique factions and a unique item played at a place at least 3 turns away from your starting site. Even with Token of Goodwills and Far-sights it will probably take you more than 6 turns. The 2 TP's is not much then. Scenarios that deal with non-unique cards have it easier. In the CP games I've played the time-limit was usually an obstacle.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
zirilan

:shock: I'll ask Luitprand about the turn-limit you need to fulfill his scenario, it seems it still needs adjastment.
Luitprand

The H18 Scenario is a little bit too hard.

successfully the Haradrim or the Nûrniags or the Wain-
eastlings (and he has only Dunadan in the Company)
zirilan

Due to several cards (Elven Rope, Cram, Master of Esgaroth, Bridge, etc.) movement to that region won't take that many turns. But the play of 4 unique cards by a single character is simply too much. Aragorn should play the Crown and two out of the three factions to fullfill the scenario.

successfully two of the following factions: Haradrim, Nûrniags,
Wain-eastlings.

Return to “Cool Play”