New Hero Scenario Proposal: Rehabilitating Gollum

To fulfill a scenario a player has to meet all deck building requirements during the whole game, and additionally the winning requirements for a certain scenario at the end of a game. There are 16 wizard scenarios and 6 ringwraith scenarios...

Moderator: Darksatin

Theo

The Hunt for Gollum
WR = Play Gollum at Dead Marshes by a character who had the effects of three different cards from {Anduin River, Ash Mountains, Misty Mountains, Mountains of Shadow, White Mountains} applied to his company. (Reducing a hazard limit that is already at the minimum counts as applying the effect.) Control Gollum in Woodland Realm at the end of the game.

Possibilities discussed to play Gollum at Dead Marshes (ignoring influence from opponent):
* Tower Raided -> Here, There, or Yonder -> Roll high.
* Quiet Lands + Gates of Morning -> Here, There, or Yonder -> Roll high.
* My Precious -> Ordered to Kill -> Do not defeat My Precious (such as canceling attack).

For extra difficulty, perhaps more to signify successful rehabilitation after capture:
Additionally require Gollum end at a Refuge in Woodland Realm?
Additionally require Gollum end in a Fellowship at the end of the game?

[round 1 edits]
Last edited by Theo on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Grishnakh

I think this idea can't work as a scenario.

It ignore standard rules, 'cause Gollum isn't playable at Dead Marshes and of course he can influenced away.

Also it depends on just 1 unique card, which can lay down as the last card in deckpile.

He can easy stop to playout by playing my precious as a agent who is playable much faster.

I'm sorry, but this is not enough for a scenario.

So far as I think.

But thanks for the idea.

Regards,
Heiko/Grishnakh
Cheers,
Heiko / Grishnakh
Darksatin

I agree with Grishnakh. It is not for the scenario format.
But you should propose your idea to Alex (zirilan) for the Cool Play format.
Theo

Grishnakh, could you clarify your points?

-----

As I said, I have thought of two ways to play Gollum at the Dead Marshes that do not depend on the opponent:
* Tower Raided -> Here, There, or Yonder -> Roll high.
* My Precious -> Ordered to Kill -> Do not defeat My Precious (such as canceling attack).

They are not mutually exclusive.
-----
1) The Hobbit :
DR: The starting company may only contain the following characters: Bilbo, Dwarves with home site: Blue Mountain Dwarf-hold.
WR: King under the Mountain is in play. The Arkenstone or Returned Exiles is in play. A company with Bilbo has successfully played an item, an ally or a faction at The Lonely Mountain, while one of its characters is King Under The Mountain.
King Under the Mountain is 1 Unique card. Bilbo is 1 unique card. King Under the Mountain requires two more unique cards (with choices), one of which can be "easily" countered by Marvel's Told. The Arkenstone or Returned Exiles is one more unique card. ALL are required.

Comparatively, this seems almost too easy. Hence the suggestions for Refuge and Fellowship.

-----

Opponent's face-up My Precious is easily countered with Withdrawn to Mordor.

-----

I'm sorry, I just don't see the basis for any of these hesitations.
Last edited by Theo on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gollum51

Nice one Theo!
I like both the story and the ways you found to play gollum.

We would need to test this but why not?
Kjeld

Also Gates of Morning + Quiet Lands -> Here, There, or Yonder -> Roll high
Sam.Gamdschie

Theo wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:44 pm Rehabilitating Gollum
I don't want to dismiss the proposal, but the thematic spirit is missing from my persepective.
Just playing Gollum at the Dead Marshes (why not in Goblin Gate where Bilbo met him first?) and having him at Woodland Realm (why there?) at he end of the game, is not enough. It should be more "storytellingish".
Maybe Aragorn, Frodo and/or Bilbo should come into the scenario. Or something like destroying the One Ring while Gollum ist still in play? Just ideas.

Best regards,

Sam
Co-founder of the Hamburg Scenarios and Former Slave of Lure's Price Ceremonies
Theo

Thanks for sharing that perspective! Where I was coming from was wanting to recreate the feeling of the search for Gollum eluded to by Gandalf and Aragorn at the Council of Elrond. Aragorn eventually found Gollum in the Marshes and took him to Thranduil's folk. So for me, Goblin Gate wouldn't be the right theme. But I could understand others preferring to flex other parts, like requiring Aragorn but with wider location options.

I personally don't like Scenarios requiring multiple specific uniques (like Gollum + Aragorn) because 1) it becomes too easy for opponent to block by simply having just one of those, even by accident, 2) it typically feels too restrictive on the scope of variations of the themes of interest.

But I think this proposal IS lacking the searching part... I'm not quite sure how to fix that mechanically the way I would want. I'm torn between wanting to require more movement, but not wanting to require players to track non-obvious things (like regions) over multiple turns (potentially forcing opponent to have to retroactively validate from memory). Something like the following might work; at least these are unusual enough cards that they will be more likely to stand out to opponent at the time:
* Require Gollum to be played by a character who had the effects of three different cards from {Anduin River, Ash Mountains, Misty Mountains, Mountains of Shadow, White Mountains} applied to his company. (Reducing a hazard limit that is already at the minimum counts as applying the effect.)

I guess I'll stick that into the original post for now, but open to other ideas.

Return to “Hamburger Scenario”