A Universal Rules Document?

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Ben, it's really amazing that you are doing all this work--on a document that is solely needed by the community--and I applaud your commitment to it.

However, partly for the purposes of saving you work, but also for the purposes of correct rules interpretations, I do want to point out that the Universal Rulesbook was already almost finished by Mark Alfano before he had to drop it. (In fact, there were a team of people working on this--so the project goes beyond Mark. I had always assumed that you were on this team as well.) I have a editable version of it on my hard drive, and if you email me, I can send it to you. (Actually, I am going to try to attach it here to put an end to all this mystery!)

I think you should compare these versions, or else the COE should compare these versions, and figure out which style and format is best for our audience--or, more likely, how they should be combined in some way. (It is possible that Mark has a slightly later version than this one.) We don't need to reinvent the wheel every time one of us slacks off. Also, there were some extremely complex rules situations that Mark had to figure out a way to explain in this Rulesbook, and he did not do that by himself, but rather through his committee of rules people--so much of his UR is already "official."

On a side note, I think we DO need the introduction to the game, and what happened to ICE, and all that stuff, right at the beginning of this rulesbook. The rulesbook is not just for us--it is for new players who are trying to get into the game and don't want to (or can't) synthesize rules from all the rules inserts and all the coe rulings. Mark's page on the purpose of the rulesbook helps explain this. Veteran players can skip this section, or find it informative--but of course Veteran players may skip this rulesbook all together! If it's going to be Universal, let's try to keep everything in one document here, rather than trying to keep it short. (But we can think about how players access the information. For example, it should probably have a really short explanation of how to play the game--like 2-4 pages--similar to what ICE's Craig ichabod did. Maybe use his document?)

Here is the UR, Mark and Co's version, attached two ways.

Frodo
Attachments
Universal Rulesbook.pdf
(549.23 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
Universal Rulesbook.doc
(382 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'll take a look when I have the time. At this point, I might as well finish mine so we can look at complete integration.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I've integrated through 50.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Frodo wrote:
rulesbook is not just for us--it is for new players who are trying to get into the game and don't want to (or can't) synthesize rules from all the rules inserts and all the coe rulings.
Hmm, as synthesized and simplyfied as this one will be, it will still be way too much for newbees to digest. Man, it's scarier than the original rulesbook! I'd suggest making
a) the perfectly readable/accessible and most complete rulesbook (i.e. this project), and
b) a newbee"s guide to meccg, with promotional info, a play by example etc.

a) can/should be to the point, b) can/should be flavoured
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Through 55 is in.

The NetRep still made some interesting rulings on organizing companies, probably because he misunderstood "playing" as "splitting." :)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Through 65 is in.

A rather interesting incorrect ruling on We Have Come to Kill saying that it allows the play of Orcs/Trolls for FWs regardless of whether they have a card allowing them to play such. If that ruling's correct, then We Have Come to Kill can also bring in 9-minders. :)
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Good job ;)

but where can I find the most up-to-date version (the 2.1 version seems still the newest but has still only 59 pages)

or am I mistaken

where in which link is the newest file?

mfg Nicolai
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The most recent is still being worked on; I won't release another until I'm totally done with the CoE digests (and at that point, I might just go ahead and do the CRF card-specific errata as well). I don't want to release one with rulings that have since been overturned.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Through 70 has been done.

Quite a lot of "can I do what the rules say I can do?" questions. Those, I'm actually not including, as that's more of a Play and Examples sort of thing. :)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Through 75 integrated. Definitely need to get up to the current digests; there are a lot of things that I know were overturned.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Through 95 done; a lot of short ones.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Through 100 integrated. Note that I managed this with a daughter having been born 5 days ago. Let us hear no more crap from people about how "life interferes"; either you do what you say you will do or you don't. ;)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Through 105 integrated; another misinterpretation of "hazards have no effect on CvCC" brought up on the rules board. :)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Integrated through 110, and I'm into the Zarathustra era! :)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Through 121 integrated.

Including Mikko's solitary digest in over a year of being the NetRep. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'll get the CRF card-specific entries integrated soon, hopefully, post the whole thing (along with a .odt source), and take a long break, because I've worked my butt off.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”