Potential Carambor Fix

Errata issued by the CoE, open discussion of candidate rules for errata, and submissions for the Annual Rules Vote.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Honetly, Carambor is basically the only "real trick deck" within the top tier decks, and it is the only deck, which does not offer an opponent "any turn or just 1 turn" at all (if done correctly), so it is beyond any other top tier decks.

An oppponent might be bored to death by Mordor Shuffle or Black(Purple) Hills or Wolfiegast, but at least they get 1-4 turn to prove their own skills on the resource part (or lack there of)

Caramber FW Shortrest does not allow opponent any way to deal with unless the hazards are able to deal with it, but it needs preparation and we have to keep people in the game "not frustrate the fuck out of them" with this deck.

Top tier games are not my type, but allow for a fix that needs one, or we have less players for these top events

yours Nicolai
miguel
Ex NetRep

My biggest beef with the Carambor-machine is that it totally screws one alignment, Hero. There really isn't anything a hero player can do, short of packing 3x Ire and 3x Blind straight in the deck and hoping for the best... The smartest thing a player can do when suspecting the Carambor-machine will be present, is to not play Hero! And that's really bad...

I know the Carambor-machine extremely well, and feel the best way to deal with it is simply banning Carambor from FW-decks. The proposed errata might hinder 'normal' Carambor decks that are still quite cheezy, but does very little to the machine (moving from haven to haven in Arthedain). No errata necessary, just ban the sucker. [-me_ccc-]
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

That's a good point; it's no more than Kill All or the Windlord Found Me being unusable by FWs.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
marcos
Council Member

Caramber FW Shortrest does not allow opponent any way to deal with unless the hazards are able to deal with it, but it needs preparation and we have to keep people in the game "not frustrate the fuck out of them" with this deck.
Don't mix up the decks, using carambor to get advantage from short rest is not the same as using Carambor-machine to exhaust twice
marcos
Council Member

Unique. Once per turn, Carambor may tap at the end of his company's movement/hazard phase to allow it to move to an additional site on the same turn. Another site card may be played and another movement/hazard phase immediately follows for his company. The new site path must contain at least one Wilderness.
Bolds are mine.
I think i heard this proposal from someone else but since nobody has posted it already, i bring it for discussion. It will break the exhaust machine but it won't kill the other uses he might have for a FW like taking advantage from short rest or reaching almost any part of the map in one turn.

thoughts?
miguel
Ex NetRep

Works for me! :D
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I like it.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Ok, do it that way then ;)

once a turn could still be useful enough in most decks
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

Too restrictive to my taste. Maybe I don't understand the Carambor machine fully. Why not issue errata for Here Is a Snake!instead, so it only lasts until the end of the current M-H phase?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Because then we would also have to fix Spying Out the Land. By fixing Carambor, it's only one card, not two.
marcos
Council Member

Besides that, the combo can also work with elf path, stealth, sneakin, spying out the land, ford, etc...
We can't/shouldn't errata all those :)
miguel
Ex NetRep

Jose-san wrote:Too restrictive to my taste. Maybe I don't understand the Carambor machine fully. Why not issue errata for Here Is a Snake!instead, so it only lasts until the end of the current M-H phase?
The only card you need to draw for the machine is Washed and Refreshed or Healing of Nimrodel, then Carambor can keep running between Weathertop [-me_ha-] (Hidden Havened at draft) and The White Towers [-me_ha-] via Arthedain [-me_wi-] . The other cards mentioned above are just gravy; they help but are certainly not necessary for the machine to work.

Once the machine is up and running, the moves are relatively safe. Carambor is teamed up with a magic user, so his company gets benefits such as 20x Bitter Cold to help with the final move(s)... :lol:
dirhaval

I have not played or witnessed this elf version of Flash.

I like the addition, mentioned earlier, of once per turn.
Or make him 7 mind. Hendolen can control this pesky W/Sc/R with Trifling Ring.
However, a 7 mind elf will limit a Fallen-wizard somewhat. I like to use the elf
to quickly over the Misty Mountains into Mordor.

Cannot not Chance at Being Lost, Scorba at Home, Exile of Solitude, and Tidings of Bold Spies get the _________?
Logain
Ex Council Member

So, do we do anything at all ? I propose to hold a poll :
1. Once per turn,
2. 7 mind.
3. Just ban him.
4. Do nothing, it's nice to play against a guy who plays alone.

(and validate 4 only if it has more votes than the other options).

I warned ICE in 1998 about this combo, they banned it on the spot (french nationals 1998). Looks like players like Sauron made them change their mind afterwards.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

there might be other options as well, but once per turn or 7 mind seems the way to go

Return to “CoE Rules & Errata Community Proposals”