how to release rules digests?

Errata issued by the CoE, open discussion of candidate rules for errata, and submissions for the Annual Rules Vote.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

mikko has released a new digest.
it has been sent to the silent toewr list, but as we know this list has become completely entish.
i will forward it to the player lists i have compiled.

i think we should also have the complete CRF on the COE homepage. adding new rules digests when any is released.

what is the content of the COE?
in the dutch council site´s rules section there are several documents. it has:
Table of Content
* Introduction
* Turn Sequence Rulings
* Rulings by Term
* Tournament Rulings
* Card Errata and Rulings
* Complete Errata Listing
so all of this makes the CRF, right?
i guess if the URD is finalised, part of it (2,3) are obsolete then.

hmm, the errata list in 6 doesnt look very complete (compared with the list in 5). and whats the use of this list anyway??
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'm assuming Mikko will be adding them to the URD as they are published.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
marcos
Council Member

I agree all the rules content must be on the coe web assuming our idea is to "merge" the info on meccg.net with coe
miguel
Ex NetRep

Bandobras Took wrote:I'm assuming Mikko will be adding them to the URD as they are published.
Including every ruling from every Digest is unnecessary, most of them are quite clear based on the rules and previous rulings. Some rulings should of course be added, but I think it would make more sense to insert the additions at the beginning of each calendar year, that way the difference between versions of URD people might have would be clear (URD 2011, URD 2012 etc.). Then for people to know the up-to-date rules, they'd just need to have the latest URD and that year's Digests.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Makes sense to me. In that case, it may be a good idea to sticky published digests over the course of the year and then unsticky them once they're incorporated.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Even if not all stuff in the digests will make it to URD, we still need a solid system for looking up questions answered in digests, to serve the public and to avoid the same questions being asked (take some load off Mikko's shoulders). Search functions at this forum at least don't work well enough, I'd say. Isn't there a way to make a complete manageable Digest document, without too much effort? Wouldn't a single pdf suffice? are all digests actually even accessible?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

That's theoretically handled by the card-specific rulings section of the URD; if anything's clear based on previous rulings, there's no need to repeat yourself.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I disagree. Especially newbee's will appreciate to know the working of a card, even if it does not represent a ruling. The NetRep also explains stuff without any rules implications, thus a document containing all digests will be useful.
miguel
Ex NetRep

There is at least one doc-file containing all the digests going around (originally compiled by yours truly). I use it for research, and while I'd appreciate people looking for answers before coming to me with questions (you'd be surprised how many don't even check the CRF), the document containing all the digests is not great for general use because:
(i) it contains typos, which can cause the search-function to miss the ruling
(ii) the ruling people find might have been later overturned, but they miss that one
(iii) the newbees won't necessarily know what to look for
(iv) it's a pretty damn big document, and somewhat of a mess due to typos and overturnings

I think URD will be a good tool for the general public, but it's not meant to end all rules-questions, because people will still ask questions already answered in it and come up with new ones from time to time. Naturally if something keeps coming up again and again, I'll make sure it finds its way to the URD. :wink:

@Ben: Good idea about the sticky, I'll do that!

edit: I don't have moderating rights on the rules questions board, so I guess someone else needs to sticky the digests (or give me mod rights)..?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

you saying there are also typos in the cardnames in the digests?
a simple search for cardname would yield all results in such file containing all digests, size of the file is of no consequence, you don't have to read it all. And of course if you're dumb enough to stop searching after the first hit, well that's your own problem then.
I for one would like to have such file.
marcos
Council Member

card names are called with their starting letter lots of times, for example Open to the summons would be called OttS. It is not reallly a typo but it could prevent someone to find what he is looking for...
miguel
Ex NetRep

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:you saying there are also typos in the cardnames in the digests?
Unfortunately that is sometimes the case, same applies to game terms you might search with. For example I would not even bother searching for "Regiment of Black Crows", but instead search for "regiment". I'm sure it's not an issue for you, but I don't expect everyone to do a great deal of research when it's easier to just ask me. :wink:

You are of course more than welcome to the file, as is anyone else who wants it. I will make my current version available for download next week when I have more time, as it could benefit from a bit of cleaning/reformatting first. I'll put it in the rules questions forum.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

i would also like to see the complete Rules Digest up on the homepage in the rules section.
writing a short introduction how to use it best might help a lot.

@mikko: you got mod rights!
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

card names are called with their starting letter lots of times, for example Open to the summons would be called OttS
Only in repetitive use I may hope, otherwise that's pretty dumb.
Well, if there's a day when I got absolutely nothing to do, I might feel up to some editing.
miguel
Ex NetRep

thorondor wrote:@mikko: you got mod rights!
Thanks, but I'm still unable to sticky the post. The line to sticky etc. is completely missing when I go to edit. :?
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Only in repetitive use I may hope, otherwise that's pretty dumb.
Yes, but the questions may not always contain the full card names, like "Lure of Senses" vs. "Lure of the Senses", so you just need to search with "senses".

This is a big part of why I chose to exclude the names of people asking questions in Digests; I can freely edit those questions without misquoting anyone.

Return to “CoE Rules & Errata Community Proposals”