Erratum proposal: Agents movement

Errata issued by the CoE, open discussion of candidate rules for errata, and submissions for the Annual Rules Vote.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Agents may move from site to site if the new site's region is adjacent to the region of the previous site. As a (Fallen) Wizard player, the regions of Udun and Dagorlad are not considered to be adjacent, but they are if you are a Ringwraith player.
I don't feel that's sensible. Agents do not represent a player's alignment, but are thought as from an either independent power or directed by the forces of Sauron. So, keeping the Gorgor pass closed for agents doesn't seem plausible (Yes I know plausibility is not a valid argument in this game ;)). However, agent movement should therefore not depend on a player's alignment.

My proposal is that the regions of Udun and Dagorlad are considered adjacent for agents movement in all cases.
kober

Personally, I disagree with the premise. Agents are not creatures: they have a purpose - they're servants of their lords, which brings both advantages and disadvantages. It's absolutely reasonable to assume that Fallen Wizards' agents lack some sort of a permit that allows Ringwraiths' agents to travel through Morannon unobstructed. Thus, please allow me to veto the proposal :twisted:
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

In MEDM, minions are used as hazards called agents. An agent is a hazard that represents an individual that has been sent on a covert mission by the Dark-lord or one of his Dark Lieutenants. However, not all agents are minions.
Agents, when used as hazards, are not sent by the player playing them, thematically speaking, so the proposal makes sense thematically: agents working for Sauron should be able to use the same movement that anything else working for Sauron gets to.

I'm having trouble thinking up a good gameplay reason for this, though: in what circumstances does one desperately need to move an agent from Udun to Dagorlad or vice versa?
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

kober wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:13 am Personally, I disagree with the premise. Agents are not creatures: they have a purpose - they're servants of their lords, which brings both advantages and disadvantages. It's absolutely reasonable to assume that Fallen Wizards' agents lack some sort of a permit that allows Ringwraiths' agents to travel through Morannon unobstructed. Thus, please allow me to veto the proposal :twisted:
My assumption is that (as you say) agents have their lords, but it doesn't convince me that a lord's agent allows his servant to cross a certain border if opposing a ringwraith, but not if opposing a wizard.

Bandobras Took wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:35 pm I'm having trouble thinking up a good gameplay reason for this, though: in what circumstances does one desperately need to move an agent from Udun to Dagorlad or vice versa?
Agreed, it's more a matter of principle. However, agents from the south Mirkwood regions need some more turns to reach Cirith Gorgor to attack an army-collecting leader there...
kober

Bandobras Took wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:35 pmAn agent is a hazard that represents an individual that has been sent on a covert mission by the Dark-lord or one of his Dark Lieutenants.
The way I read this is that if a player is a Ringwraith (Dark Lieutenant) then the agents in his deck were sent by him. Thus, they have the permit to cross the border.
Khamul the Easterling wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 pmMy assumption is that (as you say) agents have their lords, but it doesn't convince me that a lord's agent allows his servant to cross a certain border if opposing a ringwraith, but not if opposing a wizard.
But the ability to cross the border depends on whose deck the agent is in, not on the alignment of the opponent.
CRF wrote:If you are a Ringwraith, your agents may move as if Dagorlad and Udûn are adjacent.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Khamul the Easterling wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 pmAgreed, it's more a matter of principle. However, agents from the south Mirkwood regions need some more turns to reach Cirith Gorgor to attack an army-collecting leader there...
Yes, they do, but that's akin to saying that Agents from the Gondor regions need some more turns to influence a Troll-Chief at the Ettenmoors. Totally true, and totally part of their design.

@ kober: That makes no sense; if we follow that logic, then agents in a Wizard vs Wizard game weren't sent by the Dark Lord or any of his lieutenants, which is thematic balderdash. Thus the thrust of the erratum proposal.

I don't believe that erratum should be issued purely on the basis of thematic reasons, though.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
kober

Bandobras Took wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:08 amThat makes no sense; if we follow that logic, then agents in a Wizard vs Wizard game weren't sent by the Dark Lord or any of his lieutenants, which is thematic balderdash.
Ah, now I got the point of the dicussion - I'm sorry, I was confused :oops:
dirhaval

I see the CRF about Ringwraiths using the Teeth of Mordor for agents.

However, I do not read that movement restriction for agents used by Hero players.
The restriction for heroes is it not for moving companies only. Then such
a restriction was made it was made in the METW guide without agents.

There are such things as double agents :P

Return to “CoE Rules & Errata Community Proposals”