ARV: Using Nazgûl to access sideboard

Errata issued by the CoE, open discussion of candidate rules for errata, and submissions for the Annual Rules Vote.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CRF, Rulings by Term, Sideboard wrote:Tapping a Nazgûl to bring cards in from the sideboard does not turn the Nazgûl into a
short-event. It is discarded immediately upon declaration.
I propose the following erratum:
"Tapping a Nazgûl to bring cards in from the sideboard does not turn the Nazgûl into a short-event. It is discarded immediately upon declaration. Tapping and discarding a Nazgûl to bring cards in from the sideboard is special case where Annotation 5 does not apply. A Nazgûl does not need to be in play and tapped when it comes to resolve the action in its chain of effects."

Changes in bold.

Rationale:
Annotation 5: If an action requires an entity to tap as a condition for the action's main
effect, that entity must be untapped when the action is declared; else, the action may
not be declared. Tap the entity at this point; this is considered synonymous with the
action's declaration, i.e., it is not a separate action. When it comes time to resolve the
action in its chain of effects, that entity must still be in play and tapped or the action is
canceled.
Without the changes an action of tap and discard to access SB would be self-fizzling. Or regulations made by Annotation 5 would be violated/ignored.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

I find no inconsistencies. I think you're misinterpreting Annotation 5 as I've explained elsewhere.

Annotation 5 does not apply to the requirement to tap when accessing the sideboard. You can tell by reading card and the rules (carefully, words have meaning).
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Which card?
CDavis7M

The Nazgul talks about tapping and the sideboarding rule requires that tapping (but not the event result).
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

But I am not speaking about Nazgûl tapped to become short-event or long-event.
I am speaking about Nazgûl tapped and discarded to move cards from sideboard to deck or discard pile.
The action has conditions: tap and discard Nazgûl. And counts against HL, like turning Nazgûl permanent-event into other event.
And (I think) both are performed in chain of effects.

Return to “CoE Rules & Errata Community Proposals”