New NetRep Team

Errata issued by the CoE, open discussion of candidate rules for errata, and submissions for the Annual Rules Vote.
Kodi
Council Member

Thank you Chris, it means a lot. I hope you will be able to share your expertise and viewpoint with us. :D
CDavis7M

kodi wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:27 pm 2. We were aware of the expiry of the current period of the CoE, but there was a Charter sentence, as you know, that opened the possibility:
The acting Council shall remain in office until a new Council is elected.
Of course, I've read that too. But playing dictionary and "context" are favorite pastimes after MECCG. The charter reads:

I. Composition of the Council:

a) The Council shall be comprised of a maximum of 9 and a minimum of 7 members. The number of seats up for election each election shall be eight. The Chair is not up for election.

b) The term of office shall be twenty-four months. In the event that a member is not able to bring his term to completion, the Council shall appoint a new member chosen from the community. Election procedures for a new session of the Council shall be started twenty-two months after the appointment of the current Council. The acting Council shall remain in office until a new Council is elected.
The acting Council cannot remain in office if they were not acting as Council by starting the elections. The provision "the acting Council shall remain in office until a new Council is elected" doesn't allow the council to extend their term in bad faith. The old council's term is over. They are not the council anymore.
IMG_4093.jpg
IMG_4093.jpg (128.66 KiB) Viewed 662 times
------

I guess you didn't see but the members of the Council of Elrond community already held nominations, which were open for a month. And then the community member held a vote over a 2 week period and they elected "Peril Returned" as the sole councilmember? viewtopic.php?f=118&t=4674

And then the members of the Council of Elrond community also voted to amend this portion for the charter: viewtopic.php?f=118&t=4657&p=39834&hilit=charter#p39834
the JabberwocK wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:47 pm All forum members are welcome and encouraged to vote on this Charter amendment!

Up for proposed change are the following 3 sections from our Charter:

SECTION 1:
b) Procedure: The term of office shall be twenty-four months.
I propose changing this language to:
b) Procedure: All Council members remain in play until this Charter is discarded. Discard this Charter when Doors of Night leaves play.
Reasoning for this change: There is no change.

SECTION 1:
b) The acting Council shall remain in office until a new Council is elected.
I propose changing this language to:
The acting council is trusted and deep in all our counsels.
Reasoning for this change: There is no change.
----------

So Peril Returned will remain the sole COE council member until Doors of Night leaves play. But if Gates of Morning is not in play than Doors of Night is considered to be in play. Whew!

----------

In all seriousness though, this is a good video series: https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/l ... ng-started

Edit: whoops, that is college level. I meant to find the 9th grade course: https://www.khanacademy.org/ela/cc-9th- ... erstanding

I like these ones:
course.PNG
course.PNG (104.78 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Last edited by CDavis7M on Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kodi
Council Member

Thanks for your point of view. It's very interesting. I think CoE members are better than me to discuss about this. I just relate our experience if some was interested on it.
Manuel
Council Chairman

Hello, and again thanks for the input.

First of all, I'm very happy that everyone is having a more relaxed conversation now. I too have to apologize for having been too dismissive. It mostly came up from me not knowing certain things, so sorry for that.

Anyway, this whole discussion has been quite helpful to me. I think I'm starting to grasp the concept of how the non-Spanish community works nowadays, and what could be a good approach to have this whole NetRep thing work in a way that's more aligned with the current state of the community.

I can see Theo's point on how the NetRep concept is a 90s thing, and I can also see Cdavis's point about the CoE NetReps distorting the rules and causing unnecessary confusion.

However, I think Kodi and I have our point too, so maybe we could all make a great effort and try to understand everyone else's points and finally come up with something greater than what we have now. So, here's our point:

Theo already explained what the system for rules questions is like now: if you have a question, just ask and you'll get an answer. Having people kindly answer rules questions when they are asked is necessary. Your contributions are really appreciated, and I can see you take a lot of time and effort in doing so. But the thing is, this system presents some problems:

1 – Sometimes the different people answering the questions don't share the same opinion of a certain rules situation. So it ends up with a sometimes very long debate where the guy asking the question doesn't get one answer, but more than one answer. And sometimes they have to read through a very long discussion that uses terms they don't even understand. They started with one particular question, and they ended up more confused than they were to start with. I understand ruling debates are sometimes necessary to find out what the correct answer is, but I think this should be done in a specific corner of the web, designed especially for that. I don't know if you can see this, but this is turning away a lot of players, to the point that they end up not wanting to come in here to ask rules questions. You just have to look at the CoE forums, most of the time it's a conversation between the same two or three people. Many others have pulled back because it was simply too much for them.

2 – Those answers to questions are scattered between different communication channels: this forum, the Facebook group, Discord, etc. It would be nice to have a single document where these answers can be found and not have to dig through all those conversations. Updated CRF, FAQ, you name it (I don't want to enter the semantic discussion here again, I'm happy with whatever you decide). I mean, I understand Cdavis's point, "most of the answers are already in the rules" but the thing is, the rules are way too extensive to have a complete understanding of them. And of course, some players are lazier than others. If learning the rules of this game is already difficult and that's putting off many new players, what's wrong with lending them a hand? What can be obvious to us might be no so obvious to other people. Don't we all want this game to thrive?

3 – Not everyone's knowledge of the English language is good enough to keep up with such rules discussions. Not even enough to get into Discord or this forum and ask a question. I'm not sure if you guys realize that the Spanish-speaking community is big right now. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make those players' lives easier, too. A quick reference document for them would be helpful.

So, my conclusion here is: we need some kind of officiality. Individual answers on forums, while being valuable, are not enough to have a coherent playing field all over the world. Hence the need for a Rules Authority. All for the sake of unity.

In order to keep things as tidy as possible, I'm going to open a new thread with my proposal:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4703
www.meccg.com

Return to “CoE Rules & Errata Community Proposals”