The Great Hunt

Errata issued by the CoE, open discussion of candidate rules for errata, and submissions for the Annual Rules Vote.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The White Hand: The Great Hunt
Rarity: Rare, Precise: R2

Resource: Permanent-event

Alatar specific. Playable if you are Alatar and have at least 12 [-me_ha-] . Your opponent reveals cards one at a time from his play deck or his discard pile (your choice). Any hazard creature revealed immediately attacks Alatar's company. This process stops when 5 creatures or all cards of the deck (or pile) have been revealed. Reshuffle play deck if used. Thereafter, your opponent discards face up. Whenever your opponent discards a creature during your turn, you may choose to have it attack Alatar's company instead. Cannot be duplicated.
I propose the following erratum:

"Alatar specific. Playable if you are Alatar, Alatar is in one of your companies and you have at least 12 [-me_sp-]. Your opponent reveals cards one at a time from his play deck or his discard pile (your choice). Any hazard creature revealed that otherwise could be in play immediately attacks Alatar's company. This process stops when 5 creatures or all cards of the deck (or pile) have been revealed. Reshuffle play deck if used. Thereafter, your opponent discards face up. Whenever your opponent discards a such creature during your turn, you may choose to have it attack Alatar's company instead. Cannot be duplicated."

Changes underlined.

Rationale:

Inspired by The Hunt and Ride Against the Enemy. By solution in former and lack of it in latter. In short: Alatar's company should not be faiting with Alatar the Hunter. Also, currently the card may be played even if Alatar is not in play or is in play but off to the site, that is weird.

EDIT: for obscure reason quoted text did not math original. Corrected.
Last edited by Konrad Klar on Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Some things go without saying because they are necessary and inherent. Hazard creature attacks are described in the rules. The card text does not need to repeat the rules.

The proposed errata is unnecessary, and partly misleading for the reason above.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Partly you are right.

Rules regarding uniqueness take precedence and they would prevent Alatar's company from fighting with Alatar the Hunter or with a unique creature for which there is copy/manifestation in play.
"that otherwise could be in play" is unnecessary but is also not harmful, just like "prevented from being in play" in text of The Hunt.
Eventually I could remove the part of erratum proposal.

Still, original text does not prevent a player from playing the card even if Alatar is not in company (not in play or "off to the side").
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:40 pm Still, original text does not prevent a player from playing the card even if Alatar is not in company (not in play or "off to the side").
That's OK. In such a case the other effects of The Great Hunt would still apply.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Indeed, nothing that could break a game, leave the game in a state where it is not know how to proceed it.

I just thought that it is not intended, not desired to allow to play the card if there is no Alatar's company.

Return to “CoE Rules & Errata Community Proposals”