Worlds 2011 - Poland?

thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

i have been talking with pawel during Lure about having Worlds in Poland this year.
it is possible (i think), but there are a few things to consider.

the polish community is quite big, thats good. they have 2 nationals per year, so the easiest solution would be to turn one of their natioansl into a Worlds tournament. unfortunately its not that easy as it seems ...
because: they are using a loaction that is very remote. 100 km near kattowice. big advantage: its VERY cheap. but, there are almost no faciliteis for accomodation. players are used to bring their sleeping bags and sleep on the floor. but i think players coming to worlds have become too soft for that ;-)

alternative: looking for something else in one of the cities. but: this will not be so cheap. while it may still be cheap for foreign players, its likely quite expensive for local players, so for some this will be a reason not to attend.

also, some mentioned it might be a problem, that the polish community is using different rules.

i just wanted to bring up a few facts here. i hope pawel will join soon and explain a few things more thoroughly.
Muad'Dib

thorondor wrote:
also, some mentioned it might be a problem, that the polish community is using different rules.
i think its not big problem now. I persuaded people to play most of CoE rules. Just few differences, but i think its not problem for people to play all CoE rules in one event. Also ,if guys in Poland dont agree for that, i hope it wont stop players foreign players. As i said, just some small differences, which i can explain here. You can still play cheezy, typical hog's deck or one ring :)
thorondor wrote:they are using a loaction that is very remote. 100 km near kattowice. big advantage: its VERY cheap. but, there are almost no faciliteis for accomodation. players are used to bring their sleeping bags and sleep on the floor. but i think players coming to worlds have become too soft for that ;-)

alternative: looking for something else in one of the cities. but: this will not be so cheap. while it may still be cheap for foreign players, its likely quite expensive for local players, so for some this will be a reason not to attend.
Atm im trying to find place for Worlds in Warsaw. Probably the worst city in Poland for organizing this kind of event but also, i think, the best for foreigners. Its true, every event we sleep on the floor, hotels are too expensive for most of people. And we prefer to have more money for food, prizes etc. My priority is to find school for Worlds (1-2 class rooms) which is the cheapest option or maybe even free. If i do it, of course i will try to help people who want to sleep in hotel/hostel. The 2nd option is some cheap youth hostel with big lunchroom. Of course i know we dont have a lot of time for it, so if i dont find something until middle of april, i give up and try to do it next year. Next month we have polish nationals near Wroclaw, so i will check this location if its good enough. We also have fire-station in Goszyce, near Katowice as Wolfgang said (about 60-70km). We play there each autumn but you cant find any hotel in this village, so you can sleep on the floor or just dont sleep :D . If we organize there Worlds, you can take a train from Katowice to Gliwice or Kedzierzyn-Kozle, both cities are about 15-25minutes from Goszyce (in car of course). So we can pick up you from the train station.

Anyway Warsaw is priority for me now, the other locations will check as 2nd option. I really want to have Worlds in our capitol, because here is the biggest community and in the other cities with airport we dont have players or they are "dead" like Cracow.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I know the last order of business of the CoE was to appoint a new Chair, and we don't have a new one yet, but it would be good to decide on Worlds 2011 and get some publicity going.

Right now Pawel has informed me that he plans a tournament in Warsaw 29-9 to 1-10.
This date has been decided upon by a poll within the Polish community. It is a rather unfortunate date, in sofar as it is only 2 weeks after the German Nats. in Munich organised by Bernd. I assume most players will not care to visit both tournaments.

We should be grateful that Pawel makes the effort to host a tournament nevertheless, and as he tells me, there are no real other options for a date, as the venue required a decission and this date is set.

So, we should announce worlds, so those that want to can buy a ticket.

In a broader sense we should discuss the future of Worlds, wether there is even enough enthusiasm to have a worlds every year etc. Right now most people seem content with having a Lure once per year. I know that Wolfgang doesn't want to make the GO at Lure count as Worlds, as it's a casual weekend, but let's face it, it has been the tournament with highest (and most steady) attendence for years now, so it kinda counts as the informal Worlds anyway.

But, perhaps if we make Worlds bi-annually and plan it better, it might attrackt more crowd. After all, 1 title per 2 years is more special also.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Right now Pawel has informed me that he plans a tournament in Warsaw 29-9 to 1-10.
This date has been decided upon by a poll within the Polish community. It is a rather unfortunate date, in sofar as it is only 2 weeks after the German Nats. in Munich organised by Bernd. I assume most players will not care to visit both tournaments.
well, its 3 weeks later. german nats is from 9-11 sep. still quite close though.
i was also hoping for a different weekend, no being able to arrive before late in the night on 29th.
So, we should announce worlds, so those that want to can buy a ticket.
will do so very soon. waiting only for the final draft of the COE charter.
In a broader sense we should discuss the future of Worlds,
yea, tahts going to be one of the major topics for the next COE i guess.
Muad'Dib

Sorry i write so late but had a lot of work and i do Worlds alone....

This date you both discuss above isnt yet set. But, to be honest, polish votes are the most important for me. I dont expect too much foreign players - up to 10 i suppose so i need the biggest number of polish players.

The 2nd possible date is 21-23.X.

Anyway,y i have problem with place. I thought everything is agreed and suddenly last week i heard about "some problems". I will try to set everything until end of next week.

I really apologize you guys it takes so long. Didnt expect so many problems..
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
i gwanunig

Hello.
l
Please don´t mix up Worlds with Nats - by saying
Muad'Dib wrote: I dont expect too much foreign players - up to 10 i suppose so i need the biggest number of polish players.

In my eyes this disqualifies that tourney to be a Worlds.

If we forget the last Worlds, there were always a lot of players from outside the hosting country. I think there were always MORE players from the not hosting country.

So pleeeeeeease coordinate Worlds with the Council and not with just youre local guys. Otherwise we will have "wolrlds" playing on a polish holiday were every polish player has time - and the rest of the WORLD have to work/study/..

Thomas
What business does an Elf, a Man and a Dwarf have in the Steiermark? Speak quickly!
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Attendence to Worlds has been dwindling even before Argentina though (Barcelona also).
As well as the enthusiasm to organize it.
So I can understand the wish to be backed up at least by strong attendence of the locals.

All the more reason to organize and announce a tourney like Worlds with plenty of time ahead. Perhaps bi-yearly is better.
Muad'Dib

i gwanunig wrote:Hello.
l
Please don´t mix up Worlds with Nats - by saying
Muad'Dib wrote: I dont expect too much foreign players - up to 10 i suppose so i need the biggest number of polish players.

In my eyes this disqualifies that tourney to be a Worlds.

If we forget the last Worlds, there were always a lot of players from outside the hosting country. I think there were always MORE players from the not hosting country.

So pleeeeeeease coordinate Worlds with the Council and not with just youre local guys. Otherwise we will have "wolrlds" playing on a polish holiday were every polish player has time - and the rest of the WORLD have to work/study/..

Thomas
In my opinion organizing Worlds should promote MECCG in country, where are played . We should focus on local community because in the futue they can look like online events. Each tourney has the same players - ok guys i like you but prefer to play with bigger number of participants (especially with new people). Btw only in 3 countries its possible to have more local players than foreigners - Spain, Germany, Poland ;)

Maybe i was asked too late to do it this year but think everything goes ok now, found new place, just have to go there check if its ok for us. Im sure everything will be known this week.
Darksatin

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: All the more reason to organize and announce a tourney like Worlds with plenty of time ahead. Perhaps bi-yearly is better.
I do not see why a tournament could be better organized two years in advance.
Nowadays, nobody knows what he will do next year.
A few months before are enough to organize something...
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

It's not about clearing your agenda, it's about needing time to find/agree with a suitable candidate.
And in second place,it's about gathering enthusiasm in the community for the event.

I asked both Poland and France at Lure this year. That qualifies as a couple of months,doesn't it?
France declined, Poland agreed, they're the only ones to do it, so we should be thankful for it.
Nevertheless the timing and communication is definitely not optimal.
Temujin

Spain Nats --> 2-4 September

I think that the best date to the World would be in November. But you are right, the best date is when more local players can go
Fangorn
Ex Council Member

France declined this year, because we weren't ready to organize it.

With Dominique we are indeed trying to awake again french players, only since last year.
We opened french forum a couple of months ago, just after Lure.
Dominique is active with building tools like useful playability maps, and decks like Arda and pool sealed.
I'm active to convince french players to play GCCG and to attend Lure.

These actions need time to have the effect of growing the community.
It was so too soon for France this year, but it could be the good timing in 2 years !
Hrum, Hoom ! Do not be hasty, that is my motto.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

So we can put you down for Worlds 2012 or 2013? :wink:
that good work has not gone unnoticed (despite limited french skills)

Worlds Austria or Antwerp were a success I think, with virtually no local player base (well, what's local?). So it's definitely possible. Paris might be expensive, but also nice for combining gaming with tourism. That contributes to attendence I think.
Darksatin

Fangorn wrote:It was so too soon for France this year, but it could be the good timing in 2 years !
I think that Fangorn is very optimist ! :?

And there is a big problem to organize something in Paris : it's very expensive to get a gaming room for 30/40 people for several days... :(
Muad'Dib

It depends what you mean "expensive". I heard German Nats enter fee is around 80 euro for all days. In Poland highest price was 15 euro, maybe in Poland for Worlds it will be 20-25 but we dont sleep in hotel/hostel. Of course if somebody wants, he can, but the rest is using sleeping bags.

Return to “Worlds 2011 Discussion Forum”