How to Construct Solitaire Decks?

Post your decks, discuss strategy, ask for tips, etc.
Arda Frog

How do you construct Solitaire Decks?

Please give specific information like types of cards to use and numbers of cards etc. Since you are not trying to defeat an opponent, these types of decks are all about the adventure. I would surmise their construction must be different as you are not trying to thwart certain types of builds.

For cards I have large amounts of Limited Wizards, Dragons, and Dark Minions
Brabo

Did you read the rules for solitaire play? I would say it's rather obvious how to build your solitaire decks....
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On gccg my name is 'Wisp'
Arda Frog

I've had my cards stored away for years. I have no decks created anymore and it is not obvious to me.

Can you give a detailed example explaining the construction including card examples of a solitaire deck? (More detailed info than 25 hazards and 25 resources as stated in the rule book.)

I have lots of Wizards, Dragons, and Dark Minions to work with.
Brabo

A detailed example? Alas, no. I'm too much of a beginner myself for that. But generally speaking solitaire isn't that different from normal play. You should create a resource strategy as normal, and a separate hazard deck. If you keep the hazards general (some general corruption, some easy to key creatures), I don't really see the difference...
I think there's plenty of info out on the web on deckbuilding for your resource part, though it mostly comes down to your own preferences. Look around on this site or http://www.meccg.net for starters. Also, look here: http://www.trevorstone.org/metw/

Good luck!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On gccg my name is 'Wisp'
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

In my solitaire games, I usually take a thematic approach to my hazards -- since I'm more likely to be able to have combos in my hazard hand, the WK+Pale Sword+Fell Beast becomes something of a possibility. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Arda Frog

I read through the players guides again and still have questions about Solitaire decks.

How large should the Hazards deck be?

-It says a minimum 25. I can understand using less in multiplayer but what about for single-player?

How large should the Resource deck be?
-It says a minimum of 25. Again, since this is single-player what would be the sweet-spot?

Having larger Hazard/Resource decks in single-player might be beneficial in that you would have a longer more varied adventure right? In multiplayer it makes sense to have you decks as thin/fast as possible so you have more chances of combos coming up to deal with your opponent.

How many characters/wizards should you have? ( I read 10 characters for multiplayer. No repeats of any of the characters. And up to 2 of the same Wizard. So 10 is the limit for solitaire as well?)
-how do I know how to choose them? Does their MP value play into this? How many total MP for characters can you have?
-It says you can have up to 2 of the same Wizard. Are two Gandalf's really needed in single-player?
-If you use larger than 25-cards for the Resource and Hazard decks, should you then increase the number of characters? Or is that hard-coded to a 10 limit?
zirilan

Arda Frog wrote:How large should the Hazards deck be?
You should play a normal 25 hazard cards hazard deck (make sure not to use hazards that need support from resource cards (e.g. "Moon" to make Men [-me_bl-] keyable to [-me_wi-] ))
Arda Frog wrote:How large should the Resource deck be?
You should use the same amount of resource cards as hazard cards, so 25.
Arda Frog wrote:Having larger Hazard/Resource decks in single-player might be beneficial in that you would have a longer more varied adventure right?
The limit of max. 3 wizards and 10 characters per deck still applies and you might end up in games without drawing your avatar or characters by time. Many good [-me_mp-] resources are unique and you might not draw them (and remember game is not over, once you exhaust your deck, you can exchange cards from sideboard to your deck and via versa befor reshuffling it).
Arda Frog wrote:How many characters/wizards should you have? [/b]( I read 10 characters for multiplayer. No repeats of any of the characters. And up to 2 of the same Wizard. So 10 is the limit for solitaire as well?)
-how do I know how to choose them? Does their MP value play into this? How many total MP for characters can you have?
-It says you can have up to 2 of the same Wizard. Are two Gandalf's really needed in single-player?
-If you use larger than 25-cards for the Resource and Hazard decks, should you then increase the number of characters? Or is that hard-coded to a 10 limit?
No repeat of any unique of the characters. You may include any non-unique character 3 times.

You can set up a maximum of 20 [-me_gi-] distributed to your starting characters (to a maximum of 5 starting characters / to a maximum of 6 for minion players).

You should have a backup character in deck for each of your valuable starting characters (e.g. Balin/Gloin, Thranduil/Glorfindel, Kilí/Óin).

You should always play 3 wizards per deck, since he is a powerful character with 10 [-me_di-] . The earlyer he can get started the better for you.

Try sticking to 25/25 resource/hazard cards, use cards like Smoke Rings, Longbottom Leaf, and An Unexpected Outpost and put all your "that card could be handy in late game" to your sideboard.

Return to “Decks, Strategy, Tips, Ideas”