status of the universal rules document

Errata issued by the CoE, open discussion of candidate rules for errata, and submissions for the Annual Rules Vote.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

in another thread there has popped up the discussion whether Ben´s universal Rules document is considered "official" or not. i would like to have this discussed in a more private board here.
well, there has been no voting or any other decision by the COE so far. in fact, i dont think we have the power to do so, since we are still under the "old" charter, that oesnt leave us that much space.
still i have been looking forward to that day, when a document like this will be officially announced as The Document to Rule them All. a lot of work has been done, still it would be good to have the NetRep team take a closer look into it and give them the chance for improvements.
i know that mikko and some otehr s are ready to become more active again. i really hope that they will be able to bring this big project to a positive end.
till then, we (the COE) should take care that the new charter is done and approved by the community.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

As I said with the Charter Rewrite, and included in the Charter itself, I'd like to see the URD become the purview of the NetRep team. It belongs with them naturally. I'm hoping to make it into a google doc and give Mikko access tonight.

As far as official goes, though, I emphasize that I did not change any rules I found in the rules books, the CRF, or the digests. My personal comments on difficult/frustrating situations are noted as such. Asking whether this is official seems as strange to me as asking whether there's a card game named METW – do we need to vote on that?
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The URD is now a Google Doc, and I've PMed Mikko so he can give me some information so I can share it with him. I'll also post a read-only link in the rules forum once Mikko is empowered.
miguel
Ex NetRep

Bandobras Took wrote:Asking whether this is official seems as strange to me as asking whether there's a card game named METW – do we need to vote on that?
For a casual player, it matters not. For people who travel long ways to play at tournaments, the official rules are key. I have personally experienced playing according to an old (overturned) ruling at Finnish Nats long ago, and finding that out mid-game wasn't fun. I just think the status of URD wasn't apparent from the thread, and I had been getting some weird questions about your document from old tournament players...
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

If there are no implied rules changes currently, then there is no problem I suppose.

The URD should become an official rules document, with the help of NetRep and team, even (possibly) incorporating rules changes, but any such changes will go through a process of discussion and decissionmaking of course.
Let's just call this the official try-out version then :wink:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Mikko is now in charge, so it will be his fault if it's not official. :)
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Can we get an update on this please?

I think the URD was a monumental effort by Mr. Bandobras Took, and it is VERY good for the game.

Please keep in mind that although all the old dogs who've been actively playing meccg for the past 20 years may not benefit from such a document, the URD is extremely valuable to new or casual players. One big reason newer players decide to quit the game is due to confusion and frustration over the rules. The URD makes an effort to alleviate this problem.

The URD should be fully supported, maintained and updated as appropriate by the CoE!

Who exactly is in charge of the URD as of right now? I would love to see an updated version of the document released and for it to be unequivocally endorsed by the CoE. What is preventing this from happening?

Respectfully,

Gavin
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It should have been the NetRep.

He decided to not bother.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Bandobras Took wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:34 pm It should have been the NetRep.

He decided to not bother.
Indeed. Well, addressing this is on the agenda list for the current Council. The Rules Committee will likely be charged with this task since we don't currently have a NetRep. I know it is important. I will also be uploading a copy directly to the Resources section of the home page.

Return to “CoE Rules & Errata Community Proposals”