V. GCCG Nations Cup 2011 (Planning/Talk)

Events taking place on online platforms
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Muad'Dib wrote:I follow this discussion from the beginning and want write something, hope my english is enough for it.

Brian, your way is the shortest way to make this game more dead. I understand you but you should also understand how many people still play this game. Every year each tournament has less number of participants. This game is hard, people need 2-3 years to learn all tricks,cards,rules etc. The only thing which keeps them still with this game is FUN. If you force them to play with time limit in all events, push them, i wont have soon opponents online. And not only you, also me, marcos, Bert, Manuel etc. Im not sure but i think Thomas (your last opponent) told me, he doesnt like to play and he just wants to help his team. So if you discourage him , its a chance we wont have Austria team next year, because guys from Austria, like me, wont find another 3rd player. So its means less countries next year. Do you really want it? Do you prefer do find people to play online, and sometimes be angry because they play slow etc or maybe want to play 1-2 events with stricly tournament rules and in 1,5-2 years we wont have any more official games because nobody wont participate in them. Yeah, its cool to play against all top spanish,finnish, german players but how many we have them? Are you sure its fantastic to play each event with the same max 10 guys? Becuase in your way we wont find new people and not very experienced will drop out. How many tournaments we can play in small company? My last game vs Wolfgang took 4h, shit happens, now i have a story and can joke with him about it. I like to play tournaments, like to win but also like to have fun.

Im trying to organize Worlds in Poland. Do you know what i heard from few people? They are afraid to play because of time limit (in Poland we have more time for rounds) and high level of our guests from abroad. Sorry but when i hear them and read your posts i think we lost something playing this game.
The game has been dying for years Muad'Dib. You may enjoy 4hour long games and find them fun and have a story to tell, but I don't. Time limits are there to keep tournament rounds from taking too long so a tournament can be fit into a given schedule. If you didn't have time limits at Worlds, how many participants would you have? I can't speak for others, but when I travel for tournaments I'm normally only there for weekend and maybe 1 day before or 1 day after, I don't have a week to participate in a tournament.

So I'm the one at fault by insisting we follow rules? If we're not going to follow the rules, then why bother playing? Since we don't want to follow rules, I can do anything I want and declare myself the winner at any time, yeah I know that's silly, but it's an example. The question is why is everyone AGAINST playing by the rules? Why does everyone want to NOT play by the rules?

How do you conjecture that in 1.5 to 2 years there won't be any more tournaments if we have time limits? Do you have conclusive proof or you just speculating? So it is your belief that if we keep the current system of time limits within 3-4 years there will be no tournaments left?

I don't mind playing against the same people. I can't speak for others of course, but I enjoying having my decks and skills as a player tested against other top level players. I wasn't always as solid of a player as I am now, I took the time to research, learn, and develop winning strategies.

I think you're confusing two things. I'm not against casual play and playing for fun. But in a tournament setting I would like for EVERYONE to play by the same set of rules. Why should my ruleset be any different than other people's rulesets? People think to seem just because well that's how we did it in the past, and such and such, that' it's ok. To me you should be forced to play by the rules of the given tournament. I take pride in this. When I mess up in a tournament game I don't do take backs, I live with my mistake. I hold my opponent to this same level. Yeah it might not be fun for him if he makes a mistake, but he needs to be held to the same rules, there are no take backs.
i gwanunig

Please correct me if I´m wrong:
1.) In NC we play with the rules of the CoL (with exception of the time limit) so why all the rules-discussion.

2.) If everyone agrees on 1 (except the time-limit) all what Brian wants is to enforce the time-limit.

So please keep the discussion to the time-limit and don´t mix the stuff.

I know I´m not so deep into rules than other players but without them we are lost.

@Muadib: Maybe you sell the idea of worlds in poland with the outlook of getting fresh ideas to decks/play style, otherwise you´ll end up some other countries - always the same people/deck/...

BR a humbled i.g.
(have to make my deck legal)
What business does an Elf, a Man and a Dwarf have in the Steiermark? Speak quickly!
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

i gwanunig wrote:Please correct me if I´m wrong:
1.) In NC we play with the rules of the CoL (with exception of the time limit) so why all the rules-discussion.

2.) If everyone agrees on 1 (except the time-limit) all what Brian wants is to enforce the time-limit.

So please keep the discussion to the time-limit and don´t mix the stuff.

I know I´m not so deep into rules than other players but without them we are lost.

@Muadib: Maybe you sell the idea of worlds in poland with the outlook of getting fresh ideas to decks/play style, otherwise you´ll end up some other countries - always the same people/deck/...

BR a humbled i.g.
(have to make my deck legal)
Well said.

And you played well, you just got super unlucky with the dice rolls.
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:Final

Flaneltina - Spain
Ringbearer - kikeeeeee
Sauron - AgusBalin
marcos - Manuel
Damnit I wanted to play Manuel!
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Sauron's absolutely right in insisting on the current rules; one problem I noticed is that there is no judge/moderator present for these games.

In other words, even somebody weren't observing the time limit, who could you tell at the time the game is being played, when such can be verified? I mean, otherwise, you have to take a video of the game and send it to judge for review.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Beornd

And you played well, you just got super unlucky with the dice rolls.
LoL :shock: - another teammate with unlucky dice rolls. So austrians should not discuss about timelimit but rather how to bring the dices over to one´s side. :lol:
marcos
Council Member

i couldn't say the same regarding my game with wolfgang, besides the first one or two turns, most rolls were 7/8+ :lol:
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

I have to vouch for Bernd... how often do you see aq BAlrog player dont make it to the underleas two turns in a row.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

Sauron wrote:

Flaneltina - Spain
Ringbearer - kikeeeeee
Sauron - AgusBalin
marcos - Manuel
You're just too good a player :) Should have lost more :)
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
i gwanunig

I will not complain about the dices but one thing for sure:

I will never play a dunk deck in gccg
What business does an Elf, a Man and a Dwarf have in the Steiermark? Speak quickly!
Balin
Ex Council Member

Sauron wrote:

Flaneltina - Spain
Ringbearer - kikeeeeee
Sauron - AgusBalin
marcos - Manuel
Damn it! :P
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
Beornd

Poor Heiner - i never had a match with an unluckier oppenent. Hog to late, Axe no chance, Orcs of Moria influnced to loose them one round later by a reinflunce.
I seem the dices didn´t feel so good after my game vs. bert so i think they wanted to beat themself and rolled so high that i had to excuse me after every round :oops:
But Heiner knows that he is my favourite opponent :D
Smaug

This was indeed a fu...ng match, topped the as well unlucky defeat against kikee by far. when i influenced away the orks of moria from beorn victory was near but then he influenced them away as well and next turn i lost shagrat when transfering aiglos to an other company guy needing at least a 4. It fitted to the whole game that i made a 3 ;-). making it a 23-10 lead for beorn from a 23 - 17 before :-(. It was soo pissed (not because of that dice roll but about the dice rolls of the entire game, beorn always high me always low that i gave up the game (sorry for that team mates but the game was unstandable unlucky :-)).

but as everybody knows shit happens and anyway it is always nice to play bernd ;-)

Cheers

Heiner
marcos
Council Member

congrats team Spain, the new champions of Nations Cup
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Congratulations. So we can say we lost only against the champions! :-D
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]

Return to “Online Tournaments”