Nazgul Attack Deck

Post your decks, discuss strategy, ask for tips, etc.
Goblin King

The Nazgul Attack: A Deck Building Challenge

Introduction
Who hasn’t wanted to build a Nazgul attack deck? A deck where The Nine chase down characters in and around Bree is a natural desire for any fan of this game. The creators of the game tried; they really did. But it is really hard, some might say impossible to create an effective Nazgul Attack.
Well, I've given it my best shot here. It is probably the strangest deck I've ever built. If anyone out there is brave enough, try it out!

Character Pool
Gloin, Frodo, Balin

Starting Company
Beretar, Bilbo, Galdor with Elf-stone, Mablung, Gildor Inglorion with Dagger of Westernesse
Galdor controls Gildor and Beretar controls Mablung

Deck Character
Elrond, Faramir, Ghan Buri-Ghan
2x Gandalf; 1x Radagast

Resource Cards

Items
3x Athelas; 2X Dagger of Westernesse; 3x Shield of Iron-bound Ash; 3x Elven Cloak; 1x Sword of Gondolin; Palantir of Elostirion.

Allies
1x Tom Bombadil; 1x Mistress Lobelia

Factions
1x Rangers of the North

Events
3x Armory; 3x Barrow-blade; 3x Hey! Come Merry Dol!; 3x Twilight; 2x Dark Numbers

Hazard Cards

Creatures
3x Assassin; Scatha, Leucaruth, Eaxcaraxe, Scorba, Itangast, Smaug; 3x Olog Warlords

Half-Creatures
None

Events
3x Doors of Night; 3x Out of the Black Sky; 3x An Unexpected Outpost; 2x The Will of Sauron; 2x Morgul Night; 2x Power Built By Waiting; Angmar Arises; Reaching Shadows; In Darkness Bind Them.

Sideboard

Fury of the Iron Crown; 3x Morgul-Horse; 1x The Nazgul are Abroad; 3X Fell Beast; 2x In Great Wrath; Roll Down to the Sea; The 9 Nazgul

Sites
  • Rivendell (Elrond)
  • Bag End: (Mistress Lobelia)
  • Bree: (Rangers of the North)
  • Old Forest: (Tom Bombadil)
  • The White Tower: (Palantir of Elostirion)
  • Tharbad: 2x Daggers of Westernesse
Play Notes

Resource deck is a caravan build and designed to move very little and not very far. This is because the resource deck is designed to hopefully survive what the hazard deck is going to do. Elrond sits in Rivendell to increase your hand size and give you 3 marshalling points. Gandalf can form a party with Bilbo and either Faramir or Ghan Buri-Ghan.

I’m not sure if I can explain how the hazard deck works in less than 1,000 words! First, get Doors of Night into play. Once the Doors is out keep it there with the twilights. Add Morgul Night and The Will of Sauron on one turn to make every wilderness a shadowland. This will now make it easy for your Nazgul and trolls to roam the board.
Meanwhile, begin pulling cards from your sideboard using Unexpected Outpost. First Outpost for Akhorahil & Hoamurath. Second Outpost for Witch-King and Dwar. Third Outpost for 2 copies of Fell Beast. Use Out of the Black Sky to play your opponents own Nazgul permanent events on him!
When you draw your first Nazgul from your deck, use it to place the other five Nazgul into your discard pile. Play the Witch King as a permanent event, because of Doors of Night and The Will of Sauron, he will permanently make all shadowholds into darkholds.
After your first deck, you should move in the remainder of your sideboard cards. This will make your deck almost entirely hazard cards for the second deck cycle!

Marshalling Points

Allies: 4
Factions: 3
Items: 4
Charakters: 12
Miscellaneous: 8
Kill Points: ca.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Total: 31
Last edited by Goblin King on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
zirilan

Nice idea to have a Nazgûl attack deck. But I don't think you can run 6 copies of Out of the Black Sky listed in the decklist. Remember that an agent at his homesite can tap to allow Nazgûls to attack (Lobelia in Bree or some other guys in Dragons Country or Southron Oasis, Easterling Camp etc.).
Goblin King

Zirilian caught me. So much for my big cheat. :oops:
It's just so much fun to beat up an opponent with his own Nazgul. :twisted:
Seriously, though the agent angle was not one I thought about for this deck, but one to keep in mind for other decks.
This is the third version of this deck I've tried putting together this year. The one before it started with 4 Nazgul in the deck. I might go back to that but it was a very different build.
I like this one because of the Doors of Night aspect to the dragons. I'd completely forgotten about their increased attack range with Doors of Night.
marcos
Council Member

long dark reach can be a nice add-on. Combine it with fury of the iron crown, morgul blade or the pale sword... i think it could work, maybe...
Goblin King

I'm hoping to give it a try in a couple weeks. I had a different build that worked with Long Dark Reach and had most of the 9 in the deck to begin with (along with a few dragons). But it wasn't completely working for me. Building this deck has been a real brain teaser!
Goblin King

Had a weekend of playing and so now I'm making changes to the deck, which I'm planning to play at Worlds next month. Yes, I'm aware I will not win. There was never any hope of that anyhow. Your input to this deck is welcome
Character Pool
Anborn, Beretar, Bilbo, Elrond, Faramir, Frodo, Galdor, Gildor Inglorion, Mablung, Strider

Starting Company
Beretar, Bilbo, Galdor with Elf-stone, Mablung, Gildor Inglorion with Dagger of Westernesse
Galdor controls Gildor and Beretar controls Mablung

Deck Character
Elrond, Faramir, Frodo
2x Gandalf; 1x Radagast

Resource Cards

Items
2x Athelas; 2X Dagger of Westernesse; 2x Shield of Iron-bound Ash; 2x Elven Cloak; 1x Sword of Gondolin; Palantir of Elostirion.

Allies
1x Tom Bombadil; 1x Mistress Lobelia, 1x Bill the Pony

Factions
1x Rangers of the North

Events
3x Armory; 3x Barrow-blade; 3x Hey! Come Merry Dol!; 3x Twilight; 1x Dark Numbers

Hazard Cards

Creatures
3x Assassin; 1x Bairanax; 3x Olog Warlords; 3 Olog-Hai; 2 Marsh Drake; 1 Wild Fell Beast

Half-Creatures
None

Events
3x Doors of Night; 3x Out of the Black Sky; 3x An Unexpected Outpost; 2x The Will of Sauron; 2x Morgul Night; 1x Power Built By Waiting; Angmar Arises; Reaching Shadows; In Darkness Bind Them, 1x Peril Returned.

Sideboard

Fury of the Iron Crown; 3x Morgul-Horse; 1x The Nazgul are Abroad; 3X Fell Beast; 2x In Great Wrath; The 9 Nazgul; Morgul-knife

Play Notes

Resource deck is a caravan build and designed to move very little and not very far. This is because the resource deck is designed to hopefully survive what the hazard deck is going to do. Elrond sits in Rivendell to increase your hand size and give you 3 marshaling points.
Sites
• Rivendell (Elrond)
• Bag End: (Mistress Lobelia)
• Bree: (Rangers of the North)
• Old Forest: (Tom Bombadil)
• Tharbad: 2x Daggers of Westernesse
• Ettenmoors: Dark Numbers, Daggers of Westernesse
• Barrow-Downs: Sword of Gondolin

First, get Doors of Night into play. Once the Doors is out keep it there with the twilights. Add Morgul Night and The Will of Sauron on one turn to make every wilderness a shadowland. This will now make it easy for your Nazgul and trolls to roam the board.
Meanwhile, begin pulling cards from your sideboard using Unexpected Outpost. First Outpost for Akhorahil & Hoamurath. Second Outpost for Witch-King and Dwar. Third Outpost for 2 copies of Fell Beast. Use Out of the Black Sky to play your opponents own Nazgul permanent events on him!
When you draw your first Nazgul from your deck, use it to place the other five Nazgul into your discard pile. Play the Witch King as a permanent event, because of Doors of Night and The Will of Sauron, he will permanently make all shadowholds into darkholds.
After your first deck, you should move in the remainder of your sideboard cards. This will make your deck almost entirely hazard cards for the second deck cycle!

Deck vs. Minion, Fallen Wizard, Balrog
Character Pool
Anborn, Beretar, Bilbo, Elrond, Faramir, Frodo, Galdor, Gildor Inglorion, Mablung, Strider

Starting Company
Strider, Beretar, Bilbo, Anborn and Mablung, both with Dagger of Westernesse
Strider controls Anborn and Beretar controls Mablung

Deck Character
Elrond, Galdor, Gildor Inglorion, Faramir
2x Gandalf; 1x Radagast

Resources:
Identical.
Hazard Cards

Creatures: 2x Wandering Eldar; 1x Arthadan Rangers; 1x Ice Drake; 1x Nameless Thing; 2x Sellswords Between Charters; Cave Drake.

Half-Creatures
Adunaphel, Daelomin at Home; Itangast Ahunt; Lord of the Carrock; Mouth of Sauron; My Precious; Baduila; Uvatha the Horseman

Events
Alone and Unadvised; 2x Foolish Words; 2x Heedless Revelry; Power Built by Waiting; Revealed to All Watchers; 2x River; Rolled Down to the Sea; 2x Unabated Malice

Sideboard

2x Elven Rope; Red Book of Westmarch; Hobbits; Goldberry; 3x Fireworks; 2x Longbottom Leaf; 2x Marvels Told; 2x Elf-Lord Revealed in Wrath; Troll-Purse; Redoubled Force; 2x Orc-Guard; Plague; Spider of the Morlat

Fallen Wizard: In the Grip of Ambition; Muster Disperses; Prowess of Age; Cruel Claw Perceived; Fool’s Bane; Heart Grown Cold; Inner Rot; Longing for the West; Lure of the Senses; Lure of Nature;
Goblin King

Version 3.0
After more play testing it become apparent that I can’t rely entirely on the hazard deck to have fun. I’m remaking the resource side and tweaked the hazards.

Character Pool
Cirdan, Folco Boffin , Beorn, Barliman Butterbur, Halbarad, Robin Smallburrow, Fatty Bolger, Wacho, Mablung; Bard Bowman

Starting Company
Cirdan with a Dagger of Westernesse, Folco Boffin , Beorn, Barliman Butterbur, Halbarad with Athelas

Deck Character
Strider, Bilbo Frodo, Merry, Pippin, Wacho, Mablung; Bard Bowman

2x Gandalf; 1x Radagast

Resource Cards

Items
Dagger of Westernesse; 1x Sword of Gondolin; Palantir of Elostirion; Red Book of Westmarch; Wizard’s Ring; Earth of Galadriel’s Orchard

Allies
Tom Bombadil; Mistress Lobelia, Bill the Pony, 2x Noble Hound, Goldberry

Factions
Rangers of the North; Hobbits; Hillmen

Events
2x Barrow-blade; 2x Hey! Come Merry Dol!; 3x Twilight; 1x Dark Numbers; 1x Dreams of Lore; 2x Stealth; Farmer Maggot; Mallorn; 2x Marvels Told; Here, There or Yonder; 2x Fireworks; 2x Hobbit-Lore

Hazard Cards

Creatures
3x Assassin; 3x Olog Warlords; 3 Olog-Hai; 2 Marsh Drake;

Half-Creatures
Akhorahil, Dwar of Waw, Hoarmurath of Dir; Witch-King of Angmar

Events
3x Doors of Night; 3x Out of the Black Sky; 3x An Unexpected Outpost; 2x The Will of Sauron; 2x Morgul Night; 1x Power Built By Waiting; Angmar Arises; Reaching Shadows; In Darkness Bind Them, 1x Peril Returned; 2x In Great Wrath.

Sideboard

Fury of the Iron Crown; 3x Morgul-Horse; 1x The Nazgul are Abroad; 3X Fell Beast; 1x Morgul-knife; The Pale Sword; 1x Wild Fell Beast; Adunaphel; Indur Dawndeath; Khamul the Easterling; Ren the Unclean; Uvatha the Horseman; 2x old Friendship; 1x Withdrawn to Mordor; Woses of the Eryn Vorn.

Play Notes
Use Fireworks and Mallorn to play multiple items at Bree and Bag End. Don’t play a wizard until you play a 1 or two mind scout at Lorien. Play Earth of Galadriel’s Orchard then Stealth to travel to Rivendell untouched. At the Barrow-downs play Sword of Gondolin, tap a scout to play a Barrow-Blade and then play Here There and Yonder to play Goldberry. Tom Bambadil should be placed on a small mind character who can sit at Rivendell and use his ability. Use Hobbit-Lore to put three or four hobbits on Gandalf with Wizard Ring.
Sites
• Bag End: Mistress Lobelia, Hobbits; Bill the Pony
• Bree: Rangers of the North; Mistress Lobelia; Bill the Pony; Noble Hounds
• Old Forest: Tom Bombadil, Goldberry
• Tharbad: 2x Daggers of Westernesse;
• Ettenmoors: Dark Numbers, Daggers of Westernesse; Barrow Blade
• Barrow-Downs: Sword of Gondolin; Barrow Blade
• Weathertop: Dreams of Lore
• Worthy Hills: Woses
• Cameth Brin: Hillmen

First, get Doors of Night into play. Once the Doors is out keep it there with the twilights. Add Morgul Night and The Will of Sauron on one turn to make every wilderness a shadowland. This will now make it easy for your Nazgul and trolls to roam the board.
Meanwhile, begin pulling cards from your sideboard using Unexpected Outpost. First Outpost for 2 copies of Fell Beast. Use Out of the Black Sky to play your opponents own Nazgul permanent events on him!
When you draw your first Nazgul from your deck, use it to place the other five Nazgul into your discard pile. Use In Great Wrath to pull them from there. Play the Witch King as a permanent event, because of Doors of Night and The Will of Sauron, he will permanently make all shadowholds into darkholds.
Make sure to pull all 15 hazards from your sideboard during the first cycle. After your first deck, you should move in the remainder of your sideboard cards. This will make your deck almost entirely hazard cards for the second deck cycle!

Deck vs. Minion, Fallen Wizard, Balrog
Character Pool
Cirdan, Folco Boffin , Beorn, Barliman Butterbur, Halbarad, Robin Smallburrow, Fatty Bolger, Wacho, Mablung; Bard Bowman

Starting Company
Cirdan with a Dagger of Westernesse, Folco Boffin , Beorn, Barliman Butterbur, Halbarad with Athelas

Deck Character
Strider, Bilbo Frodo, Merry, Pippin, Wacho, Mablung; Bard Bowman

2x Gandalf; 1x Radagast

Resource Cards

Items
Dagger of Westernesse; 1x Sword of Gondolin; Palantir of Elostirion; Red Book of Westmarch; Wizard’s Ring; Earth of Galadriel’s Orchard

Allies
Tom Bombadil; Mistress Lobelia, Bill the Pony, 2x Noble Hound, Goldberry

Factions
Rangers of the North; Hobbits; Hillmen

Events
2x Barrow-blade; 2x Hey! Come Merry Dol!; 3x Twilight; 1x Dark Numbers; 1x Dreams of Lore; 2x Stealth; Farmer Maggot; Mallorn; 2x Marvels Told; Here, There or Yonder; 2x Fireworks; 2x Hobbit-Lore

Hazard Cards

Creatures: 2x Wandering Eldar; 1x Arthadan Rangers; 1x Ice Drake; 1x Nameless Thing; 2x Sellswords Between Charters; Cave Drake.

Half-Creatures
Adunaphel, Daelomin at Home; Itangast Ahunt; Lord of the Carrock; Mouth of Sauron; My Precious; Baduila; Uvatha the Horseman

Events
Alone and Unadvised; 2x Foolish Words; 2x Heedless Revelry; Power Built by Waiting; Revealed to All Watchers; 2x River; Rolled Down to the Sea; 2x Unabated Malice; 3x Unexpected Outpost
Theskyscreams

How did you end up doing at worlds?

Great thread on this deck.

Return to “Decks, Strategy, Tips, Ideas”