Worlds 2014 info thread

MECCG World Championship discussion forum.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

when
18-21 September 2014

where
1500 East Juana Avenue, San Leandro, San Leandro, CA 94577, United States

accomodation
a house is rented for the whole event. we are sleeping there, play our games, eat and drink and have a awesome time together.
cost for all of this:
option 1: arriving on friday, leaving on sunday: 200 US$
option 2: arriving on thursday, leaving on sunday: 250 US$

registration
email or PM to Mark "zarathustra" Alfano mark.alfanoATgmail.com

some more infos:
- it's very easy to get to the house from several airports. San Francisco (SFO) is the first that comes to mind, but Oakland is just as good. You can also easily use the San Jose airport.

- It's extremely easy to get to San Francisco from the house. There is a nearby train station that will take you to the city center and to/from SFO.

- half-price for non-players staying at the house: $25/night for Thursday and $50/night for the other two nights.

- there's room for 5 cars to park at the house.

schedule

Thursday, 18 September
3 PM- Check in & casual gaming

Friday, 19 September
9 AM - 10 AM Breakfast
10 AM – 1 PM Hero one-deck (3 rounds)
1 PM – 3 PM Lunch
3 PM – 7 PM ARDA + Minion sealed (deck-making & rounds 1 & 2)
7 PM – 9 PM Dinner
9 PM – 11 PM ARDA + Minion sealed (round 3)

Saturday, 20 September
9 AM - 10 AM Breakfast
10 AM – 1 PM Semi-finals (rounds 1 & 2) + Challenge decks (rounds 1 & 2)
1 PM – 3 PM Lunch
3 PM – 7 PM Semi-finals (rounds 3 & 4) + Challenge decks (round 3)
7 PM – 9 PM Dinner
9 PM – midnight Drinking game (3 rounds)

Sunday, 21 September
9 AM - 10 AM Breakfast
10 AM – 2 PM Finals + ARDA + Hero Sealed

(there is the option of having another Hero Sealed tourney at any time)

fee for sealed tourneys
Drinking Game (Hero Sealed): 15 US$ (1 Starter, 2 TW Boosters, 3 TD Boosters - language will be a mix of spanish, finnish, french, italian, german)
Minion Sealed: 20 US$ (2 german LE Starters)
Hero Sealed: 20 US$ (1 LIM Starter, 2 UL TW Boosters, 3 TD Boosters - english cards))
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

One of the ARDA games will actually be a "sealed ARDA," which Joe Bisz will run and explain.
http://www.alfanos.org
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

PS~ For the hero one-deck, we will allow the use of the german promos. Not sure if any of them are strong enough to make much of a difference, but you're welcome to try them. :)
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

zarathustra wrote:PS~ For the hero one-deck, we will allow the use of the german promos. Not sure if any of them are strong enough to make much of a difference, but you're welcome to try them. :)
in case anybody needs them, i can being some extra ones.
Sandboxx

Just to clarify...will the challenge deck event only allow the original 10 challenge decks, or are the additional avatar decks also allowed?
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Regarding challenge decks: I will bring the original ten, as well as three additional ones for ringwraiths (the Akhorahil one doesn't seem to ever work, so I'll leave that out). No need to bring your own challenge decks.

One other thing regarding hero one-deck: In order to encourage new ideas and thematic gameplay, Virtual Set #1 will also be legal for the Hero One-deck. (Only VSet #1 is legal—not the other VSets or Dreamcards). There will even be a prize for the “Most Thematic” deck!! We suggest that everyone use at least 3 Virtual cards in their deck, but you do NOT have to use them.

Ever wanted to play Pirate as a Minion player? Dreamed of actually playing with the weaker Ringwraiths? What about simulating the battle when Edoras rushes to Minas Tirith’s aid? All of these decks are possible now. Think that Sauron, the Balrog, and squatting Fallen-wizards are too powerful?We've added some cards that might come to your aid.

To download the cards and view related information, go to the Virtual Cards forum at
http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14 . Then within Announcements, click on the thread “VSet#1” for the cards. For other questions, see the other Announcement-level threads, such as “Ground Rules for Using Virtual Cards in Game Play” and “Rulings and Clarifications for Virtual Cards.”
lucas.kubisch

OMG that sounds fucking awesome you guys are heros! Or fallen wizards which ever you prefer lol, will you guys post pictures of the event for all of us that cant make it, some one should hook up a gopro and do podcasts with updates and player rankings cuz this events going to be epic. Best of luck to every one, may tolkien smile down upon you, ill catch worlds next year now that i know such a thing exists, still building my house this year. Buena suerte a todos! < jipsyfaust
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

UPDATE: I have reserved the mansion for one additional night, in order to facilitate the events on Sunday. That means that you're welcome to stay in the mansion Sunday night as well, for $100/person. Please let me know if you would like to do so.
marcos
Council Member

zarathustra wrote:Regarding challenge decks: I will bring the original ten, as well as three additional ones for ringwraiths (the Akhorahil one doesn't seem to ever work, so I'll leave that out). No need to bring your own challenge decks.

One other thing regarding hero one-deck: In order to encourage new ideas and thematic gameplay, Virtual Set #1 will also be legal for the Hero One-deck. (Only VSet #1 is legal—not the other VSets or Dreamcards). There will even be a prize for the “Most Thematic” deck!! We suggest that everyone use at least 3 Virtual cards in their deck, but you do NOT have to use them.

Ever wanted to play Pirate as a Minion player? Dreamed of actually playing with the weaker Ringwraiths? What about simulating the battle when Edoras rushes to Minas Tirith’s aid? All of these decks are possible now. Think that Sauron, the Balrog, and squatting Fallen-wizards are too powerful?We've added some cards that might come to your aid.

To download the cards and view related information, go to the Virtual Cards forum at
http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14 . Then within Announcements, click on the thread “VSet#1” for the cards. For other questions, see the other Announcement-level threads, such as “Ground Rules for Using Virtual Cards in Game Play” and “Rulings and Clarifications for Virtual Cards.”
:shock:
this is so awesome, almost makes me want to sell everything out to afford the trip :D
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Heh, but Marcos, if you sell all your cards, what will you play at Worldd with? Your shorts?
:D
Good to see you online!

--joe
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I think marcos is good enough to win with just his shorts.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
zirilan

Bandobras Took wrote:I think marcos is good enough to win with just his shorts.
He would even win with half a shorts ..
marcos
Council Member

Frodo wrote:Heh, but Marcos, if you sell all your cards, what will you play at Worldd with? Your shorts?
:D
Good to see you online!

--joe
i rather sell the shorts and keep the cards :lol:
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

We could take a picture and call it "Nude With Full Deck." :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Or you pull a Brian and sell your cards, and then beg, borrow and steal cards to use ;)

Return to “Worlds”