642-Throkmaw_Roadblock

dirhaval

[updated with 1-2018 file upload]

Throkmaw the Vain has found the moment to rule as a Dragon-King.
Smaug has grown fat and lazy on his pile of gold. Smaug has gotten his own agent...for movies.
After eating his fifth agent he has grown desperate for scripts - even a script with a hero hobbit.
Lomaw the Old is now a senior citizen looking to collect free meals at the local diner. Scatha the
Worm will anger all his neighbors who will soon revive the jewelry trade of Middle-Earth.

This Dragon-Lord will order Ice-orcs to recruit orc factions and dragon-factions with Coats of
Fine Diamonds. Ice-orcs and Orcs of the Claw will bring power to this Wyrm. Throkmaw will be
Against the Eye to hinder competition in the Northern Waste and Fall Upon Them With Speed to
show who is the Bane of the North. Aranuth is a hero item used to influence both Khuzadrepa
and Canadras.

Dragon-scales is armour worn by Talmog to be the main leader for this Dragon-lord. Later, it is
possible to give this Orc 12 prowess and 12 body. Throkmaw will use events for combat. He will
bring a firestorm, and move his pitted hide of corruption to block any assault with Bold Thrusts.
He will risk movement in the Under-deeps for lost items to bear on the dwarves. There he may
meet a powerful ally to give victory over Durin’s Folk. His modes will Hunting, Stalking, and
Dragon Dream. The Power Deck will move to Iron Hills for faction battles to bring Great Ruin
and Fire Under Tree with Savage Swords.

His hazards are drake creatures and other denizens of the Northern Waste along with Roadblock.
Nine drakes will find anyone in Triple Wilderness. Five hazard events are roadblock for anyone.
Item play at hoard sites will bring its own peril.

Throkmaw is in the Northern Waste Division with Lord Dain as his opponent.

------------
It was considered to have Lord Thorin as the opponent due to Throkmaw's new focus to the west.
However, I do not want Thorin to be busy with CvCC with the orcs. Hobbits are bad fighters.
Dain though can move Talath Uiechel from Iron Hills anyway.
Now, if the hobbits are given to Dain, then I can see to switch the dwarves. Talath Uiechel can be
reached by Blue MDH.
Last edited by dirhaval on Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirhaval

Updated file in the first thread.

Changes from v01 (used in practice game)
The introduction of Lomaw the Old into the game instead of Fankil resulted in some changes on
that account.

Removed the Orc Grunt for a second Orc Shaman; now 3 Sages are in the deck.
Aranruth added and Horn of Challenge removed. I wanted to keep that sword hidden unless
Thranduil of Mirkwood was corrupted. Alas, a third Dragon-Lord strains the unique items.

Dwarf-chopper added replacing a Broad-headed Spear. Bolg/Azog must have added a powerful
item. The last spear will be played to the west instead of among the Lairs. More attention is given
to Forochel now with Lomaw the Old around.

Pale Enchanted Gold replaces Dragonteeth Necklace due to the rarity of killing a Dragon.
Lomaw Roused replaced by Canadras Roused. Durlach will play more allies.
Piercing All Shadows and Going Ever Under Dark. Hunters and Slayers copy removed.
2 more resources in deck versus v0.

Hazard changes were mainly removing the agents. Now Ta-Fa-Lisch has 3 copies. Cave-worm
replaced by Snow-elves. Hope He is Lost to Us is on the Dwarf-lords.
It is My Own, Dragon-sickness x2 replace 3 of the 6 agent hazards.

Snow in the Mountains x1, Devouring Wyrms and Mordo are the other two fillers.
I feel the hazard changes make the deck more balance and more flexible without the agents.

Turn 18 has the Dragon-lord alone at his Lair with Birth-Spot. Lord Thorin is in Lhugdulf
and Lord Dain is in Iron Hills with Daelomin Roused in play. That is why I inserted a third copy of
Hide Pitted with Corruption in the updated file.

But avatar copy, Fire-storm, Hunters and Slayers, and Veil Removed in hand.
A Nice Place to Hide soon to draw in playdeck. I might just cancel the cvcc or direct
strike against a weak character if Dain attacks. Lord Thorin has Oakenshield to redirect strike, and he has
Wormsband + Hollow of Thy Left Breast.
Then next turn have his two minion companies visit to play Hunters and Slayers.

Is Veil Removed a Dark Enchantment; asking for Adamant Helmet.
I am not allowing Pits of Angband to be used on Dragon-lords.
dirhaval

The updated deck is in the first thread.

Stalk the Halls is the biggest resource change. Throkmaw can hide down there playing
Iron-shield of Old, Dwarf-chopper and Sulfur-spawn. He might take Talmog so to get those items.

I removed A Nice Place to Hide for World Gnawed by the Nameless, Caverns Unchoked, and Orc Garrison.
I feel the changes will help with staying untapped and unwounded from a squatting dragon-lord.

Hazard creatures had a major change. The giants were given to Durlach mainly due to Ice Giant
being normally playable over there by Evermist. I also added 3 drakes not otherwise used in minion decks.
Other creatures are only found in the northern waste, but hazard events can extend there range.

No character changes.
Site changes include playing Aranruth at Iron Hill Dwarf-hold or Ruins of Kheledkhizdin. Azog's Scimitar
was moved to Thilgon's Tomb. I want to see how this player handles the Northern Waste.

What I like about this Deck:
I like trying to move a winged dragon in the Under-deeps. He can surface and easily moved
with Territorial Disputes already in play, if that is okay. Hunting allows him to move from any surface site
for any site north of Khand back to the Northern Waste. I like how I can make Talmog a beast: 12 prowess, 12 body
so to bully Sulfur-spawn;
Dwarf-chopper, Dragon-scales, Smart and secret, Enchanted stare, Oath of the Dragon (avatar tapping).
There is GI room too to be flexible with companies. I like how I can use Caverns Unchoked on The Cobalt-Deeps
and Orc Garrison on Kala Dulakurth so to move the companies without worrying about hero dwarves or Gathered Troop rolls.

What I do not like about the deck:
There are three unique items and a heavy dependence on tapping shadow-holds. I am concerned with sending Kala Dulakurth
to the discard pile. Some orcs can heal there. There is only one canceller, but Dragon-scales helps that. I feel that the central
theme for Throkmaw himself is to attack, but he will either be Hunting with 8 body or trapped in the Under-deeps with Felagrog
hunting still bitter about the poker game ages ago.
dirhaval

Not many changes made.
Still in Northern Waste Division against Lord Dain.
That dwarf will devote efforts for CvCC in the Grey Mountains
while Lord Thorin will be harassed if moving in Forodhwaith.
This allows Smaug's, weak minions, to loot Lairs.

Added new items: Bone-dice, Dwarf-Jelly Lantern, Flakas-gul.
Added Snow-trolls with its new home site.

Exchanged Hunting mode for Hunger mode.

Nice to move from Shab Arch through Talath Uiechel to reach Dragon Gap
in Hunger and thus avoid Double Wilderness.
Practice game had Hunger move to Deep Cleft through the Double Wilderness, but not as flying.
Forgot that flying avoided regions in between for hazards only; thus Elf-lord Revealed in Wrath
attacked with 19 prowess; but Hide Pitted with Corruption was earlier played.
So I faced the creature and rolled two body checks: 10,11.

Hunger will allow moving first to a surface site far away such as Mount Gundabad or Gaurblog Lug.
Power Deck can later play Orcs of Mirkwood to be closer to Iron Hills.
Attachments
1642-Throkmaw_Roadblock_v3.pdf
updated deck for 50 player game
(334.64 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Return to “Showcase”