MECCG on Tabletop Simulator

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
Ebahn13

I probably should have said this when I finished porting MECCG to the workshop back in October *derp,* but anyways:
Here is the collection of all expansions, all 10 challenge decks, and a map plus dice!
Please let me know if I need to fix/remove something as I currently have no experience with actually playing...
Hope to see a new generation of players with this! (Myself included~)
ENJOY!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =323247763
Muad'Dib

Nice effort but this Tabletop Simulator seems not to be for free. And we already have free tool called GCCG ;)
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Ebahn13

Yeah, but this is if someone snagged TTS for other games and wants to play.
Plus it doesn't hurt to have MECCG in new places.
Dhror

I like the idea of this simulator :) I was thinking my self on trying it. now I have another cons to do it.
And the price hmm steam sales are on the way :)

Thx Ebahn13 for effort.

And a
dulcaoin

Ebahn13 wrote:I probably should have said this when I finished porting MECCG to the workshop back in October *derp,* but anyways:
Here is the collection of all expansions, all 10 challenge decks, and a map plus dice!
Please let me know if I need to fix/remove something as I currently have no experience with actually playing...
I was playing around a bit with this module today, and the first suggestion I'd make (it is unfortunately a biggie) is that all the cards should be named.

Then, if I'm searching the hero site deck (for instance), I could actually start to type the name of the site I wanted, to select it from the search interface.

It's a great effort, to be sure; but adding names to all the cards would be really useful.

(In the game, you can right click on each card and set a name and description. If you're more of a programmer, this work might be possible more easily via the .json files)

-- joshua
dulcaoin

dulcaoin wrote:
Ebahn13 wrote:I probably should have said this when I finished porting MECCG to the workshop back in October *derp,* but anyways:
I was playing around a bit with this module today, and the first suggestion I'd make (it is unfortunately a biggie) is that all the cards should be named.

Then, if I'm searching the hero site deck (for instance), I could actually start to type the name of the site I wanted, to select it from the search interface.

It's a great effort, to be sure; but adding names to all the cards would be really useful.

(In the game, you can right click on each card and set a name and description. If you're more of a programmer, this work might be possible more easily via the .json files)

-- joshua
Another small issue I found (and probably everyone will dismiss it :-)), but you duplicated the Iron Hills region, and missed Ithilien.
janbjo

Is this just the content or is it playable?
dulcaoin

janbjo wrote:Is this just the content or is it playable?
For one who knows the cards by image, it can be played pretty easily.

For one who has the patience to wait for card zooms (or likes spamming the alt or M keys) to read card titles, it's playable, obviously with a lot of pain.

Once the names are in (and I'm working on that for METW during lunchtimes at work now), it becomes MUCH more useful. Card hover means names popping up, and you can use the name search functionality on decks and piles of cards.

That region card is obviously almost a non-issue, since no one would use region cards, especially in a digital tabletop; they're onerous enough in cardboard form. :)

Deckbuilding is going to be very manual-labor-intensive, much like real life (that search function actually makes this part bearable, especially if you keep the cards in piles sorted by type). I only expect TTS to get better over time. I'm PRETTY sure I could implement wigy's scoring code from gccg even with the scripting provided currently.
dulcaoin

Darnit. There's a copied Muster Disperses image in place of Lure of Nature, so that's a problem, both content and playability.

I may have to just redo the module, rather that just fix the one that's out there. :-/

(in the good news column, I sussed out how to do gccg-style scoring using their scripting)
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Why Not juSt use GCCG?
janbjo

I think I prefer Tabletopia over Tabletop Simulator. You have probably have put a lot of time into this already but at least check out Tabletopia. :)

As for GCCG. I tried it and ran into some problems. Managed to install it and start it after manually editing some files, only to find out that the connnect url is outdated. Is there any updated documentation on using GCCG?
dulcaoin

Vastor Peredhil wrote:Why Not juSt use GCCG?
The same reasons that have always been there (note that my name is in the "Miscellaneous Contribution" list on the Authors page for gccg, so I'm neither anti-gccg nor ignorant about the product)

TTS:
* Much easier to configure and use
* More accessible interface
* Broader appeal (as in, more people are likely to know about it, and have a reason to own and use it past MECCG, MTG, or LOTR TCG)
* More likely to bring in new players
Last edited by dulcaoin on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dulcaoin

janbjo wrote:I think I prefer Tabletopia over Tabletop Simulator. You have probably have put a lot of time into this already but at ...
The originator of the module put in the most work. I just spent a few lunch hours naming cards and adding descriptions (some of the latter work became functional).

Most of my time was spent testing out scripting a scoring system similar to gccg's. TTS needs some more feature improvement before that can be made bullet-proof, but it's actually quite achievable now.Z

Still, a couple lunch hours. No big deal.
janbjo wrote:As for GCCG. I tried it and ran into some problems. Managed to install it and start it after manually editing some files, only to find out that the connnect url is outdated. Is there any updated documentation on using GCCG?
Pick a month, pick a year, and this has been true for the past decade and a half. The main server will get established, only to fail within a year or two, and then everything gets patched up.

There was a period when I ran the main server at work, because we were a service provider, and my boss OK'd that we do that. (The joke being, the bar of entry on this hasn't ever been that high :-P)
janbjo wrote:...least check out Tabletopia. :)
I remember running across their product. They have many of the advantages of TTS (pay one price, come for the gateway games, play MECCG on the side!), but their use of the browser plug-in concerns me (many want native Unity apps, not a browser plug-in), and they've said they have no rules enforcement or AI capability. TTS is starting to add scripting, and Tabletopia wants to keep improving, but I'm not really sure you COULD script using a browser plug-in based Unity.

Still, it's all of $10 (pretty cheap), and might be worth hedging one's bets and get both.
janbjo

Tabletopia is available on Steam now.
dulcaoin wrote:
Pick a month, pick a year, and this has been true for the past decade and a half. The main server will get established, only to fail within a year or two, and then everything gets patched up.

There was a period when I ran the main server at work, because we were a service provider, and my boss OK'd that we do that. (The joke being, the bar of entry on this hasn't ever been that high :-P)
What is the current state of GCCG?
Last edited by janbjo on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dulcaoin

janbjo wrote:Tabletopia is available on Steam now.
Yes, however, with their model, they have to stay compatible with all the browser-based players.

Also, their planned business model is a pretty big turn-off. With all the folks who would balk at paying for TTS once, they'd likely never agree to a subscription model. With TTS, you pay once and get the kitchen sink. With Tabletopia, you're going to pay constantly to truly get the value from your purchase.

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”