Worlds 2016, Jenins (Switzerland) 30. Sep - 2. Oct

MECCG World Championship discussion forum.
Pentaar

Sorry, me again :)

Could anybody please comment on the LCG Tournament which is scheduled?
It would be bad for us to drive to Switzerland and then find out that nobody is there for LCG.

It would be good to know if it will happen or not before I book any hotel rooms, meaning
if there is a tournament leader already in place.

Thanks a lot,
Wolli
The bigger they are, the harder they fall...
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

hi wolli! best contact the organizer directly at cjentgens@web.de (you can do that in german).
Pentaar

Thanks Wolfgang :)
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Eric & I will be there to represent the DC team, which will allow non competive players some owesome side events under our tutelage so dream card evetns and Eric's Arda (or Arda Ultra) will be there as well

yours Nicolai
Patric

I will attend there for sure, because someone has to stop Heiner

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Smaug

Hi,

I will come as well.

See you soon

Heiner
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

I won't take part in the tournaments, but hope to make for a short "appearance".
Are there any plans for Saturday evening yet? Free gaming or something like that!
Pentaar

Der Stadtrat von Framsburg wird vollzählig anwesend sein ;)
Wir schlagen (wie immer) Samstag in der Früh auf...und spielen dann (wie zuletzt) LotR LCG.

Liebe Grüße und wir freuen uns auf euch...
Wolli
Smaug

Hi guys,

is there anywhere a list of the players already registered for the worlds?!

From the chat we are only view players, I recognized less then 10?!

Anyway see you next Friday to Sunday and have some beers to crown the world champion in the drinking game and in the GO ;-)

Cheers

Heiner
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

For those waiting for some results may have a closer look at http://www.fallen-gandalf.net/results/results.html.

I hope that some reports will follow here soon (including mine).
panotxa

I'd love to read some reports and see some deck listings too... Congratulations to the winner!
Muad'Dib

Since i have returned, have crazy time so report maybe a little bit later. But here you have pictures

link
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Goblin King

These photographs are the most amazing thing I've ever seen! Who owns this collection? How was it amassed?
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Goblin King wrote:These photographs are the most amazing thing I've ever seen! Who owns this collection? How was it amassed?
The collection is owned by Bernd Greisinger. For more info follow the link in the first post.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Ok, here is my report.

Part 1: Friday – Travel to Jenins and Trash Talk in the Evening
Eric and Nico travelled together to meet up with Mario and me at our place. They were more than one hour late because of a broken down navigation system. We then all drove together in Mario’s car. After more delay because of heavy traffic we finally arrived at half past nine in the evening at the hotel in Jenins, two hours later than expected. When we stepped out of the car another car arrived with Heiner and Pawel. We found Christian, the organizer, and some more players in the hotel cellar who just finished their drinking game. Those were Wolfgang, Mark, Alex, Roland and Patric. Later we were joined by Hendrik, Christian’s son, and Bernd, our host at the Greisinger museum, the biggest museum about Tolkien worldwide. We had some talk – I learned a lot about Lego and that there are crazier people out there than MECCG players :D – and swiss beer until about half past two (at least for me). Well, most of us had beer… guess who had wine and scotch whisky on top :wink:. I remember someone saying: “We reach the finals anyway, no matter how much we drink now!” :P

Part 2: Saturday – Semifinals
At nine o’clock the tourney started in the clubroom of the Greisinger museum which was about five minutes walk from the hotel. There were twelve participants in the worlds tournament. Four more people played the LOTR LCG at the fantastic wooden roundtable (see pictures above). I decided to play a Fallen Radagast deck which is mostly my own creation. Well, the Wellinghall-squatter-part of the deck that makes use of Friend of Secret Things to play four ent allies is not really new. Special about this deck is, however, that it plays Long Winter on the hazard side against all alignments. That means that I mostly either avoid sites that have at least two wildernesses in their site path or play only allies there (possible with Friend of Secret Things).

Round 1 vs. Eric
I don’t remember much of this game. Eric played a Fallen Gandalf that tried to make havens in Eriador and Gondor. My roadblock hazards didn’t work at all. Before Eric stayed with all of his companies at Gandalf’s havens I could do some harm to his characters, though. Firiel arrived in Pelargir on turn 1 and died the same turn due to two Assassins. After that there was not much to do but trying to get rid of Gandalf. The Grey Wizard arrived in Edoras staying there for the whole game. Well, not exactly the whole game… During his final turn he got corrupted after having influenced the Riders of Rohan successfully. There was Inner Rot (3 CP) on him and The Balance of Things out and – overlooked by Eric – a Lure of Power. CC10 – ouch! 6-0 win for me.

Round 2 vs. Patric
Fallen Radagast vs. Fallen Radagast! Patric played his famous (or should I rather say ‘infamous’?) wolfie-squatter deck at Weathertop. He started and had Radagast in his hand. Very bad for me because both my starting stage resources are Radagast specific and were thus discarded. I focused on bringing Saw Further and Deeper in from sideboard and recycling Friend of Secret Things with Smoke Rings but drew the first Longbottom Leaf and Smoke Rings by the end of turn 2 and/or beginning of turn 3. On turn 3 Patric’s company at Weathertop already jumped into the cart of Farmer Maggot to travel to the Old Forest during the site phase. There they joined with Tom Bombadil. There is not much more to say except that we both delayed each other with our hazards. Patric’s hazards did probably a better job than mine, though. His hazards, free peoples and Maia, worked pretty well against me because most of the time my companies hang around at free-holds. Despite of the fact that my Long Winter hazard strategy didn’t work (…again) against Patric I could at least make some use of Doors of Night and Choking Shadows from sideboard. Without Radagast and the starting stage cards my deck was too slow and so it was almost impossible for me to win against Patric. Of course he played the Girdle before me. In the end it was a 1-5 loss.

Round 3 vs. Heiner
Heiner played his well known Balrog deck that usually hangs around in the Rohan/Mirkwood area (Buthrakaur, Bolg and others), plays the Orcs of Moria and Stinker in Moria and Ancient Black Axe and Aiglos in the Under-leas (The Balrog and his minions). Heiner played Orcs of Moria, Stinker and Blackbole on turn 1! Not too bad for him but bad for me because I have both Gollum and Blackbole in my deck. Anyway, there was still a chance for me to get out the Girdle of Radagast. On turn 4 I think I had three allies and two factions out that count for the Girdle, two more ent allies in my hand and needed to get out one of them to play the Girdle next turn. Heiner, however, played Heart Grown Cold. That was very effective because I didn’t manage to get any sage out neither by then nor in the next turn. That meant no Marvels/Voices on the cold heart and – worse – no Girdle for Radagast! During my last turn I moved Gloin, Gildor and Gwaihir to … Moria! They wanted to play a greater item because I had no items so far and Heiner had quite a lot MPs from items. I played the item without any major problems but Heiner moved all his companies to Moria to attack me during his last turn, of course. Probably I should have better moved to Carn Dûm instead. Gloin was lucky to wound Bolg. Buthrakaur wounded Gildor and a Hill Troll killed Gwaihir. In the end I could keep my item so that Heiner wouldn’t double his item MPs. All in all the biggest drawback for me was that I didn’t draw the right hazards at the right time so that Heiner’s companies could move in relative safety through middle-earth. Not a single Long Winter did tap his sites. In the end it was a clear 2-4 loss for me.

Round 4 vs. Wolfgang
We both had 9 TP before our last turn. I think Pawel and Patric were leading by then followed by Mark and Heiner. For us it was clear that a 6-0 was needed to have a chance to reach the finals (in past tournaments 16 TP after four rounds was always enough for the finals, 15 TP only sometimes). Wolfgang played a hero Eriador Short Rest deck with dwarves. My roadblock hazard strategy should be a good counter against that, I thought. Actually it was ineffective until turn 3 because I didn’t draw Doors of Night before that. I did draw Peril returned, though, but without greater use because Wolfgang had Gates of Morning out. Nevertheless I wounded both Thrain and Gloin on turn 1 with Corsairs and a Rain-drake. By the end of turn 3 Wolfgang still had no item out and his favoured sites for items were both tapped out by Long Winter. Therefore he decided to move to Himring with Pallando and Thorin on turn 4 – that is what I expected. A Nameless Thing attacked the company and Pallando got wounded but survived. Thorin untapped with And Forth He Hastened and played Durin’s Axe. At this point of the game the last 10 minutes were called. Wolfgang started, so it was me who had the last turn. Strange thing that we only had time for 4 turns although Short Rests were out. At the beginning of my final turn I still had no item but probably needed one to win this game because otherwise Wolfgang’s Axe would double MPs. I was pretty sure that I would get one, though. The idea was that Radagast (tapped because he sideboarded), Gildor (untapped) and 4 ent allies move from Wellinghall to the Dead Marshes in order to find a Wormsbane. I had And Forth He Hastened in hand, a Leaflock to cancel a hazard that targets my company or their characters and a hazard limit of two. Quite safe one would think. But don’t bet on me :wink: When Wolfgang played a Cave-drake I did not cancel it with Leaflock – big mistake! Of course Wolfgang chose Leaflock and Gildor to be the targets of the two strikes. Afterwards he played a River on the site. That meant that I couldn’t play an item and that Wolfgang would win 4-2 (I think he was leading by 1 MP IIRC) because I didn’t even draw a Mischief for Beretar which was among the last five cards in my play deck (actually it was the next card which I would have drawn if I only had played Twilight from my hand on my own Doors of Night during the m/h-phase – big mistake again!). But fortune was on my side. During the council Thorin failed his corruption check on 3 and went away with Durin’s Axe – effectively this was 11 MP less for Wolfgang. As a result I won 5-1 ending with a total of 14 TP. That is usually not enough to reach the finals. But again fortune was on my side because both Heiner and Mark suffered big losses (Pawel vs. Heiner 6-0, Mark vs. Roland 1-5 IIRC). To my big surprise I made 3rd place in the semifinals and thus qualified for the finals on Sunday.

[Edit] Results of the semifinals:
1. Pawel 20 TP
2. Patric 19 TP
3. Karsten 14 TP
4. Roland 13 TP

5. Heiner 12 TP
6. Mario 12 TP
7. Mark 12 TP
8. Eric 12 TP
9. Henrik 11 TP
10. Wolfgang 10 TP
11. Nicolai 6 TP
12. Christian 3 TP
Last edited by Shapeshifter on Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Worlds”