Solo Scenarios for Middle-Earth

darkyeoman

I have created a website where I give details about the scenarios I have created (and played) for single player games of Middle-Earth:

Solo Scenarios for Middle-Earth CCG

I also detail there what solo rules I follow, which are mostly the official solo rules, but with some minor changes (like having only 1 Wizard in your deck).

I will keep the site updated, and add any new scenarios I have developed. Feedback is always appreciated!

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been lurking and learning a lot for several months now, since I first began playing Middle-Earth (both solo and multiplayer).
kober

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't tried any of the scenarios yet, but they do look interesting and their descriptions are great read themselves. Keep up the good work!

One thing that I would recommend is linking each of the scenarios to a new thread on this forum - it would allow to quickly spot updates to your website, and also make commenting (here) easier.
gollum51

Nice piece of work. I must find time to try your scenarios.

One comment on your RotK scenario. Muster has been errated and is no longer automatic (+5 instead). You might therefore decide to allow it.
darkyeoman

gollum51 wrote:One comment on your RotK scenario. Muster has been errated and is no longer automatic (+5 instead). You might therefore decide to allow it.
Thank you for pointing this out. I did not know that the text had been changed.

I've adjusted the post, and added a comment to the Preparing for War scenario (where I briefly mentioned Muster as well). I could have removed the mention of Muster in that post too, but thought it better to add a comment, to alert others to the erratum.
darkyeoman

kober wrote:Welcome to the forum!

I haven't tried any of the scenarios yet, but they do look interesting and their descriptions are great read themselves. Keep up the good work!

One thing that I would recommend is linking each of the scenarios to a new thread on this forum - it would allow to quickly spot updates to your website, and also make commenting (here) easier.
Thank you. I'd be happy create a new thread for each scenario, but don't want to be seen as "spamming" the forums here with links to my site (Since I do update, edit, or clarify scenarios after they are posted, I do not want to post the full scenario here as well, as that would means I'd have to update it each time here as well).
darkyeoman

I've recently posted a new scenario: Those That Watch From Afar, which is based around the palantíri.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017, user darkyeoman wrote:
darkyeoman wrote:I've just posted a new scenario, Where the Stars are Strange, which takes place in the lands of Sauron's allies, after his defeat.
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017, user wolframius wrote:
wolframius wrote:Hi, darkyeoman. I'm really enjoying your scenarios, but I didn't undertsand a detail in your solo rules. When you draw new cards from the Resource deck? As in the normal rules depending on the value on the site card? Do you apply the rule at the end of the turn that you can discard a card and draw a new one? Thanks for your effort!
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017, user Kjeld wrote:
Kjeld wrote:I've been building a deck to try out the Coasts of Middle-earth scenario, and I had two questions:

First, did you intentionally omit Lossadan Camp and the Lossoth faction? Seems to me those belong in the mix!

Second, Emerald of the Mariner is a greater hoard item, and so is not normally playable (ironically) in your scenario. Isle of the Ulond is the only site with a hoard, but you can only play minor or major items there. I would personally just add a scenario-specific rule that says you can play Emerald of the Mariner at Isle of the Ulond, for thematic purposes.

Also, a general thought: Since the MP count doesn't matter for most of your scenarios, it might be interesting to give some sort of alternative bonus for defeating a creature hazard (as opposed to canceling the attack). The player could draw a number of resource cards equal to the MP value of the creature hazard, for example, or you could allow hero characters to take trophies similar to how minions work (though probably not for Man attacks).
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017, user Vastor Peredhil wrote:
Vastor Peredhil wrote:or you just use DC mission cards for these ;)
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Thursday, April 6, user darkyeoman wrote:
darkyeoman wrote:
wolframius wrote:Hi, darkyeoman. I'm really enjoying your scenarios, but I didn't undertsand a detail in your solo rules. When you draw new cards from the Resource deck? As in the normal rules depending on the value on the site card? Do you apply the rule at the end of the turn that you can discard a card and draw a new one? Thanks for your effort!
Thank you for the feedback. You draw resource cards according to the normal rules. If you travel to a site (say Bandit Lair), you draw the number of resource cards you would normally draw in a 2-player game (in this case 1) and the number of hazard cards your opponent would normally draw (in this case 2).

Yes, and I also give myself the option to discard a card at the end of the turn and draw a new one.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 6, 2017, user darkyeoman wrote:
darkyeoman wrote:Thank you for the feedback!
Kjeld wrote:First, did you intentionally omit Lossadan Camp and the Lossoth faction? Seems to me those belong in the mix!
My reasoning for not including the site and faction was that Lossadan Camp doesn't quite seem to be on the coast, but if you think they should be in this scenario, please add them!
Kjeld wrote:Second, Emerald of the Mariner is a greater hoard item, and so is not normally playable (ironically) in your scenario. Isle of the Ulond is the only site with a hoard, but you can only play minor or major items there. I would personally just add a scenario-specific rule that says you can play Emerald of the Mariner at Isle of the Ulond, for thematic purposes.
Thank you for pointing this out. I had indeed ignored this, and made it playable to Isle of the Ulond, but forgot to mention this in the post. I've corrected it now. In any case, the cards I mention are just suggestions--Emerald of the Mariner is not essential to the scenario, but I did include it in my deck because it felt thematic to do so.
Kjeld wrote:Also, a general thought: Since the MP count doesn't matter for most of your scenarios, it might be interesting to give some sort of alternative bonus for defeating a creature hazard (as opposed to canceling the attack). The player could draw a number of resource cards equal to the MP value of the creature hazard, for example, or you could allow hero characters to take trophies similar to how minions work (though probably not for Man attacks).
The bonus is that you don't die and are not wounded :D But this is an interesting idea! I especially like the trophy idea. I'll think a bit more about this.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Thursday, April 6, 2017, user darkyeoman wrote:
darkyeoman wrote:I've recently posted a new scenario, Friend of All Beasts and Birds, about Radagast's attempt to gain more information about the Nazgul and Sauron's plans from the animals of Mirkwood. This scenario plays somewhat differently from standard Middle-Earth games, because Radagast is (pretty much) your only character. I used a lot of cards from The White Hand, including Radagast-specific stage resources.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Thursday, April 6, 2017, user darkyeoman wrote:
darkyeoman wrote:
Vastor Peredhil wrote:or you just use DC mission cards for these ;)
What are those? And where do I get them? :)
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Saturday, April 8, 2017, user Kjeld wrote:
Kjeld wrote:To simplify the win conditions for the Coasts of Middle Earth, you could incorporate Rebuild the Town. All of the non-faction sites are Ruins and Lairs, so Rebuild the Town would simply replace the requirement to defeat the AA. To win, you have to have some combination of factions and Rebuild the Town cards in play that add up to 6. It would be easier because AAs don't have to be defeated, but harder because you'd (a) have to have a Rebuild the Town in hand when you go to a R&L, and (b) have to leave a character behind with Rebuild the Town to make sure it stays in play (and you'd be vulnerable to Slayers, etc.).

Also, with your latest Radagast scenario in mind, you could include the stage resource Realm of Narya from the Firstborn DC expansion to let Cirdan play Narya for this scenario.

Return to “Solitaire Games”