DC Playmat: info - questions

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

The DC playmat will be ca. 58 x 36 cm

They will be between 10 and 15 euros pp (depending on where we order and nr. of order).

see samples here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3133
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

The Jabberwock writes:
4) Yes to both; however, only if the remainder of the playmat seems like sufficient space to properly accommodate one's cards in play. If this is questionable, I think having no indicators is best so one can place his play deck, etc. off to the side to create more playing area space.
this of course depends on your deck, the decksize and amount of cards you have permanently in play, which varies per game. Ideally one would have a bit bigger size, but custom size is not possible sadly, and the next bigger size would be too big. Better bit smaller than too big. For the average game I think this will suffice.

the idicators will be (as the samples show) fairly transparent, even if you place your deckpiles off map, they will not bother you much probably.
5) I think it would be better to have the Play Deck and Discard piles on Mat A moved left to be up against the Out of Play pile. This way there is no wasted space between the Out of Play and Play Deck piles.
There's space for 1 or 2 agents, was the idea. Also, out-of-play is not used in every game, though indeed most decks have Longbottom or Dark Tryst.
My thought is also of convenience. Most players are right-handed, to draw cards from the left seems illogical. In my 20 years of gaming, I've always placed play deck and discard pile simply right in front of me.

Kjeld writes:
5) I'd prefer the maps were printed borderless, i.e. the art would run all the way to the edge. Unless there is a really slick border that someone wants to design.
The playmat will have no black border, this is simply a bleed, as the image will have to be bigger than the playmat. The artwork will run to the edge (if the producers don't screw up cutting them ;-)
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am this of course depends on your deck, the decksize and amount of cards you have permanently in play, which varies per game. Ideally one would have a bit bigger size, but custom size is not possible sadly, and the next bigger size would be too big. Better bit smaller than too big. For the average game I think this will suffice.

the idicators will be (as the samples show) fairly transparent, even if you place your deckpiles off map, they will not bother you much probably.
Thanks, makes good sense.
Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am There's space for 1 or 2 agents, was the idea. Also, out-of-play is not used in every game, though indeed most decks have Longbottom or Dark Tryst.
My thought is also of convenience. Most players are right-handed, to draw cards from the left seems illogical. In my 20 years of gaming, I've always placed play deck and discard pile simply right in front of me.
Also makes sense, however, I would like to recommend an altered version of playmat E, with the play deck moved down and directly to the left of the discard pile area. This accommodates right handed players and also leaves a larger space in the middle for MP or whatever. I get your point about the space with option A being used for a couple agents, but not every deck will have agents and it seems like it might just be wasted space. Just my 2 cents.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

wasted space? the one spot on the playmat not covered by cards is the only place you get the see the printed image! :lol:

you could use it for other stuff, MP's even, separate resources from kill MP, as one usually does. Or a Haven-squatting Ioreth.

Point is, people will always have their own preferred set-up, and we can't print 50 different playmats, but a few versions perhaps yes.
Some would argue to not add anything particular is the best, print just artwork. But that seems rather bare to me, and it might as well be a playmat for whichever game.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:48 am
Point is, people will always have their own preferred set-up, and we can't print 50 different playmats, but a few versions perhaps yes.
Some would argue to not add anything particular is the best, print just artwork. But that seems rather bare to me, and it might as well be a playmat for whichever game.
exactly! ialso would like to have an MECCG specific play mat (and not only because of the image).
maybe you could even add the MECCG Logo?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

thorondor writes:
i also would like to have an MECCG specific play mat (and not only because of the image). maybe you could even add the MECCG Logo?
What kind of logo, you mean the burning eye (lidless eye)?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Fangorn writes:
2) Position of slots for deckpiles => not at all (what about sites, sideboard ?)
3) presence of accompanying text for deckpiles and sections => no
4) presence of deckpile indicators and of other sections (i.e. dotted lines) => not really understood difference with 3)
5) other comments or suggestions => I'd like to have 4 mats :
- one Hero (e.g. F)
- one Minion (e.g. C or A)
- one FirstBorn
- one Durin's Folk
So, you want 4 playmats with nothing to indicate that they are meccg playmats but artwork??
send me some samples of what you think Firstborn or Durin's Folk artwork looks like.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:09 pm thorondor writes:
i also would like to have an MECCG specific play mat (and not only because of the image). maybe you could even add the MECCG Logo?
What kind of logo, you mean the burning eye (lidless eye)?
yes
Fangorn
Ex Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:15 pm So, you want 4 playmats with nothing to indicate that they are meccg playmats but artwork??
We're talking about meccg playmats so I assumed burning eye logo will be added !
Hrum, Hoom ! Do not be hasty, that is my motto.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Jose-san writes:
MP, out of play, sideboard, sites... personal preferences are too eclectic to indicate those on the playmat IMO. Among those, I think sideboard is the most important one, and I would place it on the opposite side of the playmat.
Of course, it is personal preference, but I'll give my line of reasoning.

Out-of-Play potentially provides relevant information, for both opponent and yourself. How many Dark Trysts or Longbottoms did he play? And hey, you play Fori the Beardless, but didn't you kill him 2 turns ago?

Similarly, it is important for a player to see more or less how many cards his opponent has in play deck or discard pile.
But sideboard and Location deck do not provide any such information. Hence I usually place them far to the side of the game.

Secondly, Out-of-Play is a face-up pile, it has a visual presence, which makes it more attractive to have on your playmat.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Moriquendi wrote: the only text I would be potentially interested in would be an MP counter along the bottom or side border to keep a running total of MP. Something integrated into the border pattern.
How far should an MP counter go though, 40, 50, 60?

using meccg icons as counters, hmm, doesn't look great imo. Also, there wasn't going to be a border, but once could be created. The meccg backside has these runes, perhaps those could be used.
Silivren

Could it be possible to have double-sided playmats ?
Hero on one side and Minion on the other ?
DM_Eonwe

Is still possible to get such a playmat?

Return to “News, Issues, Questions”